inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Partnership for Drug-Free American PSA?

Written By: eightieschick53 on 11/30/04 at 11:56 am

Mine would have to be this is your brain...this is your brain on drugs. I used to see it all the time when I was a little kid. It scared me and it is the reason I don't take drugs today.

Subject: Re: Best Partnership for Drug-Free American PSA?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/04 at 12:21 pm

My vote was for This is your brain-egg, this is your brain on drugs-frying pan. Any questions?

Written By: Howard on 11/30/04 at 7:47 pm

The egg in the frying pan.That was creepy.talk about a frying brain. ::)

Howard

Written By: woops on 11/30/04 at 8:27 pm

The "This Is Your Brains On Drugs" PSA

Written By: Buckeye on 11/30/04 at 9:40 pm

Are you kiddin'!?! Rachael Leigh Cook in a white tank top!!!  Is there any other choice!?!

Written By: Howard on 11/30/04 at 9:42 pm

Are you kiddin'!?! Rachael Leigh Cook in a white tank top!!!  Is there any other choice!?!

I kinda rememer that commercial. ???

Howard

Written By: Mergal on 11/30/04 at 10:32 pm

I picked the girl jumping into the empty swimming pool---watching that one kind of freaked me out. I'm not familiar about the one with the singing pills.

Written By: Mergal on 11/30/04 at 10:37 pm

Whenever I watch that commercial, I get scared! I think that's the most effective anti-drug commercial.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/04 at 11:52 pm

A suprisingly effective ad, and one of my favorite anti-drug commericals.

Written By: Buckeye on 12/01/04 at 4:10 pm

Whenever I watch that commercial, I get scared! I think that's the most effective anti-drug commercial.

I have a different reaction to seeing RLC running around in her little white top, but that might be a "guy" thing. ;)

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/01/04 at 5:49 pm

This is your brain on drugs.

The singing pills creeps me out. ???

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/01/04 at 6:36 pm

I would say eggs/brain on drugs.

However, I voted for I learned it from watching you, Dad b/c every time I saw it, I cracked up. It was funny it came out (though I knew the message was serious), but I always said "dang, dad, how are ya gonna follow that one?"  :D

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 12/01/04 at 8:08 pm

I never really had a favorite.All of them taught us a lesson in not to do drugs. :)

Howard

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/02/04 at 3:59 pm

Try to remember that RLC' heroin ad was 90's, not 80's. And I'm surprised no one's mentioned the "Fame" ad.
"You Can't Fly If You're High".
The singing pills, I think, was more of a basic safety ad than anti-drug, those guys were OTC or prescription drugs. Meanwhile, I'm sticking with the Fried Egg ad as the most effective. Any questions?

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: Buckeye on 12/02/04 at 4:05 pm

Try to remember that RLC' heroin ad was 90's, not 80's. And I'm surprised no one's mentioned the "Fame" ad.
"You Can't Fly If You're High".
The singing pills, I think, was more of a basic safety ad than anti-drug, those guys were OTC or prescription drugs. Meanwhile, I'm sticking with the Fried Egg ad as the most effective. Any questions?

Your Pal,
Doc

\

Rachael looks great in any decade! ;)

Written By: Mergal on 12/02/04 at 11:05 pm

I would say eggs/brain on drugs.

However, I voted for I learned it from watching you, Dad b/c every time I saw it, I cracked up. It was funny it came out (though I knew the message was serious), but I always said "dang, dad, how are ya gonna follow that one?"  :D

Tanya

Yeah, and the Dad looked like such a loser.

Written By: Lord Dark Helmet on 12/07/04 at 3:29 am

Speaking of dad's...

Do you guys remember the PSA with the drunk dad at the kitchen table, and the little boy drops the glass on the floor, and the dad is all "What are you doing?" and the kid turns around all scared and says "I just wanted a drink of water". For some reason I thought it was so funny!

I still moch that commercial  today when someone yells at me.

Written By: AL-B on 12/07/04 at 11:00 am

The one I thought was really funny was one where these 2 guys in their late 20's-early 30's are smoking weed in the basement. One of them says something like, "Man, these anti-drug commercials are such B.S. I mean, look at me. I've been smoking pot for 15 years, and I never went to jail, I never hurt anyone, etc..."  Then an old woman's voice comes from upstairs. "Dammit, did you even look for a job today?" And the guy replies, "Um...uh, I'll look for one tomorrow..."

(I knew a guy just like that!)

Written By: eightieschick53 on 12/07/04 at 6:29 pm

The one I thought was really funny was one where these 2 guys in their late 20's-early 30's are smoking weed in the basement. One of them says something like, "Man, these anti-drug commercials are such B.S. I mean, look at me. I've been smoking pot for 15 years, and I never went to jail, I never hurt anyone, etc..."  Then an old woman's voice comes from upstairs. "Dammit, did you even look for a job today?" And the guy replies, "Um...uh, I'll look for one tomorrow..."

I remember that one! Kind of, lol. I think I saw it when I was about 6 years old when I saw it. I thought I saw it on a movie that I have, back in the days when they used to put PSA's on videos before the movie. Was there a voice over in that one? I don't remember one that's why.

Written By: Mergal on 12/08/04 at 12:03 am

There are a couple of funny ads that I remember...

One in closed captioning, "These are losers", then zooms in on a few teenage boys talking about how drunk/stoned they got at a party, thinking that they're being cool, but they keep repeating themselves.

Another commercial has two girls catching up and smoking weed in a highschool bathroom. Neither have been asked out to the dance, and nothing's really new and lead boring lives. Commercial ends with them saying to one another in stoned voices, "Sooo..."

Written By: willie on 06/17/05 at 11:05 pm

what happend to the commercial in the 1980 when two adults are going back and forth saying you stupid,you stupid,you stupid

Written By: Sammy Reed on 06/19/05 at 10:06 pm

The one I thought was really funny was one where these 2 guys in their late 20's-early 30's are smoking weed in the basement. One of them says something like, "Man, these anti-drug commercials are such B.S. I mean, look at me. I've been smoking pot for 15 years, and I never went to jail, I never hurt anyone, etc..."  Then an old woman's voice comes from upstairs. "darnit, did you even look for a job today?" And the guy replies, "Um...uh, I'll look for one tomorrow..."

I forgot about that one until I read your post. "Marijuana can make nothing happen to you, too."
    Anyway, I didn't much care for any of the scary public-service ads we had to suffer through in the early 90's. As far as the Partnership for a Drug-Free America goes, I'm Mr. Nice-and-straightforward, I don't go for those strong messages, the one I like most was the radio ad they had with Walter Cronkite.

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/20/05 at 10:47 am

I picked the "Junkie" PSA. The most effective and unsettling out being the "dancer" who suddenly hits the proverbial brick wall and collapses from drug abuse.

Another good one was with "Meth", where the woman's obsessing over a clean bathroom and the fast motion gets quicker when she's using meth.

Written By: Blondie on 06/21/05 at 3:27 pm

I voted for:This is your brain-egg, this is your brain on drugs-frying pan. Any questions?

Written By: Billy Joel Fan on 08/08/05 at 10:01 pm

There were two PSA's that really stuck with me and kinda effected me in a way that it shouldn't have

1. was the back alley (witch I believe was a movie theatre) with 3 guys standing in back of 3 trash cans with each lid having crack joints and needles

2. was the one where the woman jumps into an empty pool

for some reason the 2 Really scared the (hell) out of me I now (24) still get tears in my eyes from the fright those PSA have caused me

I wish there was a way I could re-watch them with a new light just to find out what the hell made them so scary to effect me in that way

Written By: Billy Joel Fan on 08/08/05 at 10:31 pm

P.S. if anybody knows whom the production Co was for those PSA's or know of a place where I can Re-Watch them please E-mail me at the provided address

Thanx

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 10:39 pm

The egg one..Most of my friends were laughing..now they are in REHAB...not friends anymore....I belive in partying in moderation..I only drink now..but some of the pple I know thought it was sooo funny..It freaked me out..Hmmmm FRIED..YOUR BRAIN..EGGS...ouch!!!

Written By: Billy Joel Fan on 08/09/05 at 12:24 am

For those whom are instersted i've found a site that has the video of the Girl Jumping into an empty pool it's entitled "pool party"

http://www.aef.com/02/pdfa/2417

then click on the "Pool Party" icon

Written By: MetalManiac on 08/09/05 at 9:32 am

Although it was not effective for me, I liked the egg/frying pan commerical. Maybe not funny but some friends and I would always quip "Can I get a side of bacon with that"

Subject: Best Partnership for Drug-Free American PSA?

Written By: Dude111 on 02/19/18 at 5:40 am

Mine would have to be this is your brain...this is your brain on drugs.

Yup I picked that one also.......... I sure hope it helped alot stay away!!

Check for new replies or respond here...