inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone remember the "The Muppets Family Christmas"?

Written By: eightieschick53 on 12/06/04 at 10:03 pm

This is a an old christmas special my mom taped about 1988, I think. It is a family favorite of ours. It is one of the funniest christmas specials ever!! Our tape is pretty old and has some good 80's Toys 'R' Us commercials on it. My favorite parts are the parts about the icy patch and Big Bird and the Swedish Chef singing a duet of Merry Christmas together while the chef prepares the dinner! And then Big Bird gives the chef something, I can't remember what it was but the chef gave Big Bird chocolate-covered birdseed to which Big Bird exclaims, "Chocolate-covered birdseed! My favorite!" LOL, funny stuff.

But I went on Amazon.com and was shocked to read by many viewers that the version that is on DVD and video is cut by 20 minutes! I mean it is only an hour long special and if you cut 20 minutes then it's only 30 minutes! I was extremely annoyed about this and wrote a review on Imdb.com which I have posted a link to if anyone wants to read it, it is listed under happy_gurl_2003:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251282/usercomments

Anyways, I just thought I'd share some memories about an old favorite special.

Subject: Re: Anyone remember the "The Muppets Family Christmas"?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/06/04 at 10:13 pm

This is a an old christmas special my mom taped about 1988, I think. It is a family favorite of ours. It is one of the funniest christmas specials ever!! Our tape is pretty old and has some good 80's Toys 'R' Us commercials on it. My favorite parts are the parts about the icy patch and Big Bird and the Swedish Chef singing a duet of Merry Christmas together while the chef prepares the dinner! And then Big Bird gives the chef something, I can't remember what it was but the chef gave Big Bird chocolate-covered birdseed to which Big Bird exclaims, "Chocolate-covered birdseed! My favorite!" LOL, funny stuff.

But I went on Amazon.com and was shocked to read by many viewers that the version that is on DVD and video is cut by 20 minutes! I mean it is only an hour long special and if you cut 20 minutes then it's only 30 minutes! I was extremely annoyed about this and wrote a review on Imdb.com which I have posted a link to if anyone wants to read it, it is listed under happy_gurl_2003:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251282/usercomments

Anyways, I just thought I'd share some memories about an old favorite special.

The Fraggels where in too!  :)

Written By: Rhiannon on 12/07/04 at 8:30 am

Yes!  That special rocked!  I loved how every single Jim Henson character was in it!  So cool!  My favourite line in it was when Kermit is talking to someone (the Swedish Chef I think) and Kermit responds by saying "The heck you say!"  I don't know why but my sister and I always cracked up at that!  Man, I hope it's on TV this year! ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/04 at 11:55 am

I remember that. That was really a great show.

BTW, does anyone remember "Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas" another Jim Hanson show? That was a sweet one, too.

Cat

Written By: Rhiannon on 12/07/04 at 12:01 pm

I remember that. That was really a great show.

BTW, does anyone remember "Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas" another Jim Hanson show? That was a sweet one, too.

Cat

I think I vaguely remember that one too!  Jim Henson was the best! :) RIP

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/07/04 at 5:36 pm

I have Emmet Otter on video, and we watch it every Christmas. I haven't found "The Christmas Toy" on video though, and it drives me crazy that they never released their 1995 masterpiece "Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree". OK, so the leading man was has had drug problems, reshoot it with someone else and get it out there! I thought that was the best of the 3, with Emmet coming in second.

As for the Muppet Family Christmas, I loved and laughed at that one too. Even Jim himself made a cameo, and he was the only human to appear, except for FR's Doc.

"Because a dog is a dog, and a turkey is a turkey, you Turkey!"

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: Howard on 12/07/04 at 8:09 pm

I remember it well.The Muppets also made another new Muppets Christmas special.It was shown recently on Channel 5 couple of weeks ago. :)

Howard

Written By: Webstor on 12/07/04 at 10:29 pm

Muppet's Family X-mas was great!
I have it taped from television when it originally aired back in the 80's.  The imdb.com rating about the DVD/Video being cut short is correct.  I own the video as well, and they do cut out like 20 minutes, which includes a scene where they watch home movies of the "Muppet babies".
I love the part where Dr. Teeth & The Electric Mayhem play "Jingle Bell Rock".

I also love Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas.  I have that taped from TV in the early 80's and also the video as well.  The Henson people managed to slightly crop that one as well.  In the original, there are definitely parts where the Muppets make one or two crude remarks to one another....like the mom otter tells this one lady to take a leap off the dock....but it is cut in the video.  I hate when they do that.

Written By: Howard on 12/08/04 at 7:58 pm

I always grew up with watching The Muppets. :)

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...