inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: And Along Came CD!!!

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 12/10/04 at 9:26 am

Does anyone remember how in the 80s, CD players as well as CDs were considered a luxury item? What I was wondering was, when did you buy your first CD player and what was the first CD you bought to put in it? My first player was a Sony discman and I didn't aquire one until 1992. My first CD was Queen's Greatest Hits II.
Dee  :-*

Subject: Re: And Along Came CD!!!

Written By: sputnikcorp on 12/10/04 at 9:33 am

a friend of mine had a phillips CD player from '83. he would brag about it. a lot. i happened on my first CD player in 1989, the first disc i bought was motley crue's dr. feelgood.

i know those first CD players were uber-expensive. my friends parents bought him that one in '83 for a thousand dollars! by the late 80s the prices became more affordable. i bought mine, a tape/CD boom box for 300.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 12/10/04 at 9:59 am

I got my first CD player for my 16th birthday in 1988, and my first CD which I got along with it was U2's Rattle And Hum. The player itself was part of one of those ghetto blaster dealies and it opened like a cassette deck. I thought it was quite cool! :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 12/10/04 at 10:46 am

I think I got my first CD player in about 1989.  But, it was a piece of crap and broke down after a year or so.

My first CD (actually 3-CD set) was Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary Classic Rock 1966-1988.  I still have it.

Written By: Rhiannon on 12/10/04 at 11:11 am

Got my first cd player in 1989 and my first cds were: The Doors-Soft Parade and a best of Cream/Eric Clapton! ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/10/04 at 5:32 pm

Weren't CD Players kinda considered to be big and clunky back in the 80's? ??? Well,anyway I bought my first portable CD player in the early 90's and I could listen to music while I travel on the bus and train. :)

Howard

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/10/04 at 5:42 pm

I got my first one in 1990, it was a Denon single CD player component for Christmas (I paid half the cost).  I think the first CD was Robert Plant's "Manic Nirvana" followed by Duran Duran's "Liberty".  I bought the CDs before I had the player (knew I was getting one, and had access to my uncle's).

It took me a good seven years or so before the number of CDs in my collection surpassed the number of records.  Now the vinyl sits in boxes in my closet, with all the stuff not reissued on CD sitting in a special box next to my computer ready to be ripped.  That reminds me, I gotta start doing that again.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/10/04 at 6:12 pm

My first CD was the soundtrack to Wayne's World. I remember when CD cases where a **** to open!  ::)  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/10/04 at 6:39 pm

My first CD was the soundtrack to Wayne's World. I remember when CD cases where a **** to open!  ::)  ;D

Now,they made cases where it's easier to open.

Howard

Written By: RojoP on 12/10/04 at 10:03 pm

I remember when CD's came in those huge cardboard boxes - what a waste of paper.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/10/04 at 10:34 pm

I hate plastic cases that enclosed the plastic case.  ::)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/10/04 at 11:57 pm

mine came in 1989

Tanya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/11/04 at 12:40 am

I bought me a higher end Sony in 1989.  I still have it, and it still works as good as new.  I had the traction gizmos for the drawer replaced about six years ago, other than that no problems!  I've seen CD players come and go, but that old Sony just keeps poking along.

The first CDs I bough--same day as the player--were Depeche Mode, "Black Celebration," and The Cure, "The Head on the Door."  I still have that original Cure CD, but I upgraded my BC to the UK CD version w/ extra tracks!

Written By: Mergal on 12/11/04 at 7:42 am

I didn't get a cd player till the Christmas of '94, and that was a cd walkman. *blush*  Got an actual cd player two Christmases later. *blush*

Written By: Howard on 12/11/04 at 7:24 pm

I think my first portable CD Player was an RCA.That was bought at PC Richards and Son in 1995.

Howard

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 12/12/04 at 3:26 am

I remember the first CD player my parents got (I was like 5) was in 1990 or 91 or so...A Magnavox 5 disc changer. I know this because it lasted and played beautifully right up until we left Cape Cod a year or so ago when we sold it, I dunno how it is now, not that I care.... The first CD I remember my parents playing was Madonna's Immaculate Collection. That was also the first CD my then 3 year old little brother got a hold of and scratched the crap out of.....kids! ;) :D

Rio

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/12/04 at 11:52 am

I got my first CD Player for the Christmas of 1995.
My first CDs were Mariah Carey 'Fantasy', TLC 'CrazySexyCool', Hootie and the Blowfish 'Cracked Rear View' and The Rembrandts 'LP'.
All the CDs still work, too.

Written By: Howard on 12/12/04 at 6:44 pm

Now,in the high tech world portable CD players are being replaced by Ipods. ::)

Howard

Written By: kslack on 12/13/04 at 12:22 pm

got mine in 96, but I still buy records and enjoy my record player much more than cd's.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/04 at 6:35 pm

got mine in 96, but I still buy records and enjoy my record player much more than cd's.

then you'd have to worry about the scratching of the vinyl. ::)

Howard

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 12/13/04 at 6:38 pm

then you'd have to worry about the scratching of the vynil. ::)

Howard

If you take good enough care of your vinyl, it won't get scratched!

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Howard on 12/13/04 at 6:40 pm

Absolutely Vile

My Father has vinyl records from 25-30 years ago and today they still sound just as good. ;D

Howard

Written By: mitch1987 on 12/13/04 at 11:08 pm

Got my first CD player in about 1990. It was an Emerson and would always skip plus it had no remote lol. I think I paid about 100 for it. About a year later I sold it and got a Sony one that worked great and had a remote! My first CD would have probably been Dokken's Under Lock and Key.

Written By: Banks on 12/14/04 at 12:05 am

We got our first cd player in 1987. The first CD my parents bought was John Farnhams Whispering Jack.

The first CD I ever bought was Michael Jacksons Bad (cause you got an extra track which was only available on CD.

I also remember buying my first DVD around this time too. It was about 1988/89 and it was a CD/VCD of Fleetwood Mac's Tango In The Night. Unfortunately, I didnt get a DVD player until 2002. Ive played that VCD/CD now, and the quality is very very poor. The picture skips and jumps...But I guess that was the stage they were technically up to back then.

AN

Written By: krakboi on 12/14/04 at 2:01 am

I got my first cd player in 89 (JR High for me).  My first cd was Red Hot Chili Peppers Mothers Milk (longbox of course).  Longboxes were cool, because you ended up with something extra to hang on your wall.

Written By: joedeertae on 12/14/04 at 6:28 am

Got my first CD player Christmas '89, along with Motley Crue's "Dr. Feelgood" from my mom. The next day I took the money I got for Christmas and bought T-Rex's "The Slider" and Motley's "Shout At The Devil".

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/14/04 at 9:16 am

Absolutely Vile

Absolutely. Same goes for CDs. I always knew how to handle and take care of my CDs and they're still in good shape.
I remember kids that went to school with me that did HORRIBLE things to CDs.

BTW, the only place I know of that still sells new music on vinyl is Bull Moose Music and yes, I'd like to say that there's still a record player and actual records that I've played in my mother's house.

Written By: Howard on 12/14/04 at 6:11 pm

Absolutely. Same goes for CDs. I always knew how to handle and take care of my CDs and they're still in good shape.
I remember kids that went to school with me that did HORRIBLE things to CDs.

BTW, the only place I know of that still sells new music on vinyl is Bull Moose Music and yes, I'd like to say that there's still a record player and actual records that I've played in my mother's house.

I believe Angel that you wipe CDs with a damp cloth slowly.

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/14/04 at 6:13 pm

It's suprisingly weird that guys 20 years ago used to listen to vinyl records now everyone's listening to CD's,DVDs and Ipods. :o

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/14/04 at 7:10 pm

My first CD player was a Pioneer (Home) and my first CD was The Doors "Strange Days"

Written By: Bobby on 12/14/04 at 7:26 pm

I was very late into the CD era (1997) and the first CD I bought was the best of Bucks Fizz.

Written By: UltraViolet on 12/14/04 at 11:02 pm

I believe I got my first cd in 1989 and the first cd I ever bought was U2's Rattle And Hum. :)

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/15/04 at 7:31 am

The first CD I ever bought was Michael Jacksons Bad (cause you got an extra track which was only available on CD.

Phil Collins' album No Jacket Required also included the extra track in CD format. After listening to it on a record for about a year or so during my freshman year of high school (I assure you, I started HS in 2000, My ma just owned the album on record) it felt weird hearing a *NEW* song after 'Take Me Home' when I finally grabbed the CD version. 
I was a HUGE Phil/Genesis fan during high school. The rest of my class thought I was... odd because I didn't like the newest hip-hop or alternative.

Written By: whistledog on 06/03/06 at 11:46 pm

I never had a CD player until 1996.  The first CD I ever bought was the soundtrack to "Streets of Fire"

Y'know, the first time I recall ever seeing a CD player was in the music video for "Boys Do Fall in Love" by Robin Gibb

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/04/06 at 4:37 am

I bought my first cd - Icehouse, Sidewalk - in early 1988, and my second a few days later - John Farnham, Whispering Jack.

But I didnt actually buy a cd player till 1990.

Written By: The_Plague on 06/04/06 at 8:28 am

I didn't actually own a CD player till 1995, an AKAI portable walkman one, that kinda sucks now.
My parents, however, have had what was then the top of the range Panasonic stereo that is inclusive of CD player, Record player and 2 tape decks for fudgeing ages.
its a tower design.
Its big.
When I was little it looked even bigger, i remember it was big, expensive and I wasn't allowed to touch it  ;D

These days, theres a Panasonic stereo in my wardrobe which is semi new, bought it in 1998, but oddly it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as its vintage 80's (somewhat gigantic) cousin.

First CD I got was Def Leppard's Pyromania , I still have it in perfect condition somewhere, lol , first CD i bought was Def Leppard - Hysteria.

Check for new replies or respond here...