inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favourite 80s Christmas movies

Written By: Rhiannon on 12/13/04 at 7:48 am

Tis the Season for great 80s Christmas movies!  I know I created the poll but I have a hard time choosing.  I guess if I have to it would be One Magic Christmas...Gideon the angel is the best! :)

Subject: Re: Favourite 80s Christmas movies

Written By: eightiesfan on 12/13/04 at 8:47 am

I like "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation"  ;D

Written By: Jennifer028 on 12/13/04 at 9:28 am

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation  or Charlie Brown Christmas  :)

Written By: rubixgirl on 12/13/04 at 10:20 am

I like "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation"  ;D

ditto~ ;D

Written By: duranchick on 12/13/04 at 10:30 am

Out of the ones listed - A Christmas Story

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/13/04 at 10:39 am

Tis the Season for great 80s Christmas movies!  I know I created the poll but I have a hard time choosing.  I guess if I have to it would be One Magic Christmas...Gideon the angel is the best! :)

Ah.... I remember this movie, I usually watch it during Christmas with my mom and brother, when I visit them!

I have a couple of problems with the film though.....

1)  It's very depressing.
2)  Harry Dean Stanton looks pretty creepy as an angel!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/13/04 at 10:55 am

A Christmas Story followed by National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Tanya

Written By: zcrito on 12/13/04 at 11:36 am

The only ones I like from the '80s are

1983's "A Christmas Story" and 1984's "Comfort and Joy".

;D

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 12/13/04 at 1:21 pm

I went with Scrooged cuz it never gets old for me... probably tying with that one is A Christmas Story, thats one that I watch every year.

Rio

Written By: Glitter on 12/13/04 at 5:48 pm

A Christmas Story  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/13/04 at 6:15 pm

A Christmas Story

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/13/04 at 6:17 pm

I went with Scrooged cuz it never gets old for me... probably tying with that one is A Christmas Story, thats one that I watch every year.

Rio

Scrooged with Bill Murray is hilarious. ;D

Howard

Written By: Niko101 on 12/15/04 at 2:03 pm

Better Off Dead...I know some might debate this, but it's a must-see every Christmas for me!

Written By: Skippy on 12/15/04 at 4:04 pm

A Christmas Story........I watch it every year. It's kind of hard to miss when some network always runs it over and over and over.....................

Would "Gremlins" be considered a Christmas story?

Written By: eightieschick53 on 12/16/04 at 11:43 am

I definitely vote for The Santa Claus Movie. It is a great movie. (For those of you who haven't seen it, here's a recap) It starts out with Santa and his wife delivering toys. I'm guessing this was about 15th century...could be wrong though. They are in a sleigh with reindeer and they are traveling along when the reindeer suddenly stop. I think they were cold. Santa and his wife can't get them to move so they just stay put. A few hours pass, I presume. Santa and his wife look like there almost frozen to death. All of a sudden from the sky it seems, a castle and elves appear.

To find out more, you'll have to watch the movie! I love the song on this movie, "Christmas (All Over the World)" by Sheena Easton. It is pure 80's but it is a really pretty song at the same time. I also love the characters. I mean, who doesn't like Patch the friendly elf? Anyways, it's a great Christmas and a great 80's movie. They should make more movies like it.

Written By: Rhiannon on 12/16/04 at 12:12 pm

I definitely vote for The Santa Claus Movie. It is a great movie. (For those of you who haven't seen it, here's a recap) It starts out with Santa and his wife delivering toys. I'm guessing this was about 15th century...could be wrong though. They are in a sleigh with reindeer and they are traveling along when the reindeer suddenly stop. I think they were cold. Santa and his wife can't get them to move so they just stay put. A few hours pass, I presume. Santa and his wife look like there almost frozen to death. All of a sudden from the sky it seems, a castle and elves appear.

To find out more, you'll have to watch the movie! I love the song on this movie, "Christmas (All Over the World)" by Sheena Easton. It is pure 80's but it is a really pretty song at the same time. I also love the characters. I mean, who doesn't like Patch the friendly elf? Anyways, it's a great Christmas and a great 80's movie. They should make more movies like it.

You know what else is really cool about that movie?  I saw the making of it back in the day and apparently the man who played Santa really believed he was Santa!  There was a little interview with the security guard who worked the gates on the set and he said the actor would arrive on foot everyday, would seemingly come out of nowhere out of the woods and was always followed by little animals.  Totally wild! :)

Written By: eightieschick53 on 12/16/04 at 12:55 pm

You know what else is really cool about that movie? I saw the making of it back in the day and apparently the man who played Santa really believed he was Santa! There was a little interview with the security guard who worked the gates on the set and he said the actor would arrive on foot everyday, would seemingly come out of nowhere out of the woods and was always followed by little animals. Totally wild! :)

That is wild....I did not know that. That's kind of funny actually. Hehehehehehe.... ;D.

Written By: zcrito on 12/16/04 at 5:05 pm

Better Off Dead...I know some might debate this, but it's a must-see every Christmas for me!

I haven't seen it. Does it have scenes involving Christmas time or is just a sentimental favorite with you?
???

Written By: kslack on 12/16/04 at 5:28 pm

you better go rent Better Off Dead right now god damnit!!!2 DOLLARS, I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!!!!!1

Written By: Mergal on 12/17/04 at 6:42 am

Definitely the Christmas Story.  :)

My family is tired of watching it for the umpteenth time, but I can easily watch it again this year (I've seen it almost every Christmas since the age of nine). I don't know, there's just something magical about it.

Written By: NullandVoid on 12/17/04 at 10:33 pm

You'll put your eye out...You'll put your eye out!

Christmas story is my absolute favorite. After that come Scrooged, which i haven't seen in about 2 years.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 12/19/04 at 3:07 am

I love National Lampoon's Xmas Vacation and both the Flintstone's Xmas Specials. Also loved the Smurf's Xmas Special when I was a tacker. But I must say, there are just too many conrny, cheezy Xmas movies on the box right now! As one reviewer so eloquently put it, reminds one of why Santa is an acronym for Satan! :D

Written By: Niko101 on 12/19/04 at 5:26 am

I haven't seen it. Does it have scenes involving Christmas time or is just a sentimental favorite with you?
???

OMG...you HAVE to go out and rent it! IMO, It's one of John Cusack's most classic films. Part of it does take place during Christmas, but I won't give any spoilers.  ::)

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/19/04 at 8:26 am

A Christmas Story.

The lamp light rules.

Check for new replies or respond here...