inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Memories of VHS/VCR

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/14/04 at 9:59 pm

What's your favorite memory about VHS?  My favorite would have to be my very first video tape, E.T.  I still have lots of video tapes that barely get used anymore.

Subject: Re: Memories of VHS/VCR

Written By: woops on 12/14/04 at 10:10 pm

Renting movies & buying public domain cartoon videos as a young kid.

Now mostly tape music videos, specials, "Drawn Together", and stuff...  Though I mostly buy DVDs

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/15/04 at 7:34 am

As a kid, my mother had one of those 2-head Top Loaders.
As I take it, Top Loaders were quite rare by the time I hit first or second grade when 4-Head Side Loaders took over.
Ol' 2-head finally bit the dust in the spring of 2000.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/15/04 at 2:36 pm

I was so happy when I got my first VCR because I could tape my soaps.  ;D  I swear that it was invented by a soap watcher.

Cat

Written By: eightiesfan on 12/15/04 at 4:02 pm

I remember when they had those laser disc players for movies.  They were as big as vinyl records.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 12/15/04 at 6:18 pm

I remember when they had those laser disc players for movies.  They were as big as vinyl records.

I remember laser discs. They were cool. We never had one but I knew someone who did, and watched a movie on it once.

And VHS isn't dead! I've got one! How about memories of Betamax? (Actually, I've got one of those, too!) ;)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/15/04 at 6:24 pm

I remember laser discs. They were cool. We never had one but I knew someone who did, and watched a movie on it once.

And VHS isn't dead! I've got one! How about memories of Betamax? (Actually, I've got one of those, too!) ;)

Absolutely Vile

I also have a VCR-two of them in fact-one in the livingroom and one in the bedroom. Never had a laser disc and never had a beta but my dad swears by beta.

Cat

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 12/15/04 at 6:29 pm

I also have a VCR-two of them in fact-one in the livingroom and one in the bedroom. Never had a laser disc and never had a beta but my dad swears by beta.

Cat

Well, Beta was certainly a far superior format, picture quality-wise. It just wasn't marketed well enough, I don't think. Shame...

Absolutely Vile

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/15/04 at 6:52 pm

For those of you with BETA, thank God for the internet, huh? You can get anything from the internet now!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/15/04 at 8:33 pm

Dang, what a shame that vcrs/vhs has become almost antiques! Well, I still miss Beta!

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 12/16/04 at 3:21 pm

I remember when I got a VCR,I couldn't wait to tape my favorite shows all the time. :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/16/04 at 3:22 pm

Dang, what a shame that vcrs/vhs has become almost antiques! Well, I still miss Beta!

Tanya

DVD's are the way to go these days. ;)

Howard

Written By: kslack on 12/16/04 at 5:30 pm

Ah yes, those long forgotten memories of VHS. Wow, it must have been.....has it been that long?.......of course, it was LAST NIGHT that I dusted off the old VCR and watched a tape. Oh how time flies!

Written By: Howard on 12/16/04 at 6:35 pm

I kinda wish we still had the VHS tapes.Now just about every movie,film,sitcom,show,documentary,biography is on DVD. :(

Howard

Written By: nally on 12/16/04 at 6:37 pm

I kinda wish we still had the VHS tapes.Now just about every movie,film,sitcom,show,documentary,biography is on DVD. :(

And I don't even own a DVD player. :-[ :-\\ We still own a ton of VHS tapes. In fact, if we want to record something from TV, we have to use a videotape.

Written By: Howard on 12/16/04 at 6:48 pm

And I don't even own a DVD player. :-[ :-\\ We still own a ton of VHS tapes. In fact, if we want to record something from TV, we have to use a videotape.

yep.those are the breaks. :(

time is going way too fast. ;D

Howard

Written By: nally on 12/16/04 at 7:01 pm

To add: recording TV programs on the VCR seems the most logical to me...I don't see how to do it any other way. ???

Written By: kslack on 12/17/04 at 6:50 am

there  is this funny little thing called TIVO

Written By: AL-B on 12/17/04 at 11:04 am

Please be kind...rewind!

Written By: nally on 12/17/04 at 11:05 am

there is this funny little thing called TIVO

I know about it...but it didn't come into existence until when?? ???

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/17/04 at 6:26 pm

My mother and I don't own a TiVO just because we don't have enough money to fund one. I wish that the local Adelphia would just have an analogue Video on Demand and DVR.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/17/04 at 6:34 pm

Video On Demand rules!!!!  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/17/04 at 7:18 pm

Video On Demand rules!!!!  :)

YEAH! Watch what you want,when you want! ;D

Howard

Written By: NullandVoid on 12/17/04 at 10:28 pm

the only thing that I found interesting was using those funny little knobs to tune in channels. I would sit literally for hours and just fiddle with them for hours. I once tuned in a channel showing this Black and white Pic. I don't know the title of it, but I do know that it starred "little people" and it appeared to be a western of some sort.(anyone know about this movie?)

Now with laserdisc, the only interaction I had with that was when my 7th grade teacher caught me and a few of my classmates using a laserdisc as a frisbee. They used to have discs with Math lessons on them. :P Needless to say, I got detention that day.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/04 at 6:02 pm

the only thing that I found interesting was using those funny little knobs to tune in channels. I would sit literally for hours and just fiddle with them for hours. I once tuned in a channel showing this Black and white Pic. I don't know the title of it, but I do know that it starred "little people" and it appeared to be a western of some sort.(anyone know about this movie?)

Now with laserdisc, the only interaction I had with that was when my 7th grade teacher caught me and a few of my classmates using a laserdisc as a frisbee. They used to have discs with Math lessons on them. :P Needless to say, I got detention that day.

Yeah Null I hated that.Did you ever get blisters from changing channels? :P

Howard

Written By: Lord Dark Helmet on 12/18/04 at 11:25 pm

My mom would dump me off at the boys club durring the summer, and they had a laser disk setup. I remember we watched D.C. Cab on it. It was on 2 disks and each die of a disk would only hold a little bit of the movie. So we had to flip it and then swap it and then flip it. I can see why they died out.

Check for new replies or respond here...