inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: L@@KING for this 80's Toy Truck (With a Bridge!)

Written By: slikk66 on 12/23/04 at 3:12 am

OK

There was this toy truck I loved as a kid!  It took batteries but had no remote control, you would turn it on and let it go.  It had a bridge on top of it with a rack/frame thing that held it over the truck.  The truck would drive forward until something hit it's bumper, then it would trigger a switch and the truck would back up, and the bridge on top would roll itself off the top and onto the item that blocked it making a ramp.  Then it would roll up it's own ramp over the object, and then flip itself back onto the truck which would just keep going till it hit something else.

WHAT IS IT CALLED!  I want to find one!

-Dan

THanks!

Subject: Re: L@@KING for this 80's Toy Truck (With a Bridge!)

Written By: slikk66 on 12/23/04 at 3:30 pm

ok im lame i know, i made a drawing... this is how it worked:

"it was like a pickup truck, it basically functioned like that, but it was the craziest little toy ever. the truck looked like it had one of those metal racks on it you see alot of work trucks have.  the bridge was on top of that and was connected to the rack with these big "arms" that connected to the front of the bridge when it was on top, and the the rear bumper on either side, then it had a little lever that as the truck hit something and backed up, it would push the bridge forward until it would flip/flop off the front, but since it was hindged to the front it would flip over and land onto the item that was in front of it.

i know it sounds crazy but it was real.  my dad was an engineer and he used to take the toy out of my room all the time to show his friends.  i even think i had 2-3 of them."

this program tries to make the picture smaller, here is the full size one: http://billeci.com/what_truck_is_it.jpg

http://billeci.com/what_truck_is_it.jpg

Written By: 80sJUNKIE on 12/19/05 at 10:36 pm

wanted to know if you found out the name of this toy yet?          i've been trying to find out the name of this also

Written By: theblackstump on 11/03/09 at 2:36 am

Hi Folks,

I know its been years and maybe you aren't on here anymore, but I had one of these things and I'm pretty sure I can still locate it! I'll have a look in the suspected location in the next week or two. I was just excitedly explaining the contraption to a mate of mine & we thought we'd have a look online for pictures.... but nothing - just you guys asking the same questions! Anyway, heres me, 4 or 5 years on saying I reckon I can find my old one and take some pics for you. Pretty sure its not in working order though... IF I can find it, and IF I can fix it, there might be a video involved!

Catch,
Dunc

Written By: Tim on 01/17/10 at 8:55 pm

I found this forum while searching for the same 80's toy.

It's called a "Cross Boss" power machine by Galoob.
"Nothing comes across like a cross boss."

The name was on the wheels of mine.

Written By: Claybricks on 01/17/10 at 11:16 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8MzIhbGoQY

Original June 20, 1986 TV Commercial for the Galoob Cross Boss

The bridge is out and the natives are restless!

Better call the Cross Boss!

Nothing comes across like a Cross Boss

The two fisted 4x4 that's not afraid to cross the danger line!

Nothing comes across like a Cross Boss!

Cross Boss carries it's own automatic bridge to climb and conquer anything

Nothing comes across like a Cross Boss! Cross Boss!

Cross Boss, batteries not included

Another Power Machine from Galoob.

Dan

Written By: Lucas on 06/15/10 at 7:09 am

Wow! I can't believe you have been looking for this pickup truck for 6 years now! I have the Brazilian version of Cross Boss called "Ponte Car" (Ponte = bridge in Portuguese) And by the way I revived it yesterday. I managed to clean the battery compartment and made it work again. I'm so happy it is working perfectly. I am 29 now, and I've had it since I was 7 or 8 I guess. One of the most inventive toys I've seen. Here is a video that I found on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WKDlVxQa2Y

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/15/10 at 10:56 pm

Wow! I can't believe you have been looking for this pickup truck for 6 years now!

1) Awesome video!
2) That's just how we roll around here.  Stuff gets posted, other people randomly googling stuff find it, and even if it takes a few years, someone somewhere probably knows the answer, and will eventually post it. 

Man, I love this board.

Written By: Tommy on 06/29/12 at 12:05 pm

I am amazed that someone else is also on the look out for one of these.

I had one when I was a kid (white one) and I adores it.

I now have my own kids and I'm desperat to find one for them to play with.

Do you think in 30years time my kids will be looking around for iPad/iPhones to show there kids what they had???..... I doubt it.

Check for new replies or respond here...