inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Arcades of the 80s

Written By: trance on 01/04/05 at 2:53 am

What video game did you plunk more quarters into, than any other

For me it was Centipede.

Subject: Re: Arcades of the 80s

Written By: sputnikcorp on 01/04/05 at 6:44 am

toss up between 1942, battlezone and qix.

Written By: Howard on 01/04/05 at 3:48 pm

PacMan & Popeye.I packed in at least $10.00 worth of quarters in the machine. ;D

Howard

Written By: rubixgirl on 01/04/05 at 4:12 pm

Joust, Mrs. Pac Man and Galaga

Written By: Howard on 01/04/05 at 4:38 pm

Centipede
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Saloon

Howard

Written By: OliverDK on 01/04/05 at 6:16 pm

Without any doubt: Dragon's Lair

Written By: Howard on 01/04/05 at 6:47 pm

I'd want an arcade in my basement now.

Ms.PacMan

Howard

Written By: mitch1987 on 01/04/05 at 7:22 pm

Pole Position, Choplifter and Star Wars Arcade( can't remember if what the actual full name was). And then Golden Axe and WWF Royal Rumble in the 90's.

Written By: bill on 01/05/05 at 7:51 am

"Spy Hunter" and "Double Dragon"... I remember they used to have these games in a small deli near my house and my friends and I would go play them all day long.  Oh, and "Excitebike"!! 

Written By: kslack on 01/05/05 at 8:58 am

Super freakin Mario Bros.

Written By: Gaylon on 01/05/05 at 10:13 am

I liked "Omega Race"

My wife, "Moon Patrol"

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/05/05 at 1:07 pm

Gauntlet and Paperboy were always my favorites, but I was good at lightgun games too, so I got into Hogan's Alley, and my Dad & I would team up on Operation Thunderbolt.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: ski_luvr on 01/05/05 at 1:15 pm

Asteroids :D

Written By: krakboi on 01/05/05 at 3:27 pm

For me it would probably be Pole Position, with Spy Hunter and Moon Patrol in a close second.

www.krakboi.com

Written By: QaloSS on 01/05/05 at 3:36 pm

Spy Hunter
Galaga
Karate Champ
Star Wars, was it the Empire Strikes Back? It was a sit down game and the graphics were nothing but lines.

Written By: krakboi on 01/05/05 at 4:44 pm

Spy Hunter
Galaga
Karate Champ
Star Wars, was it the Empire Strikes Back? It was a sit down game and the graphics were nothing but lines.

They actually had both.  Empire Strikes Back was an upgrade kit for Star Wars machines.  So basically all ESBs started their life as a Star Wars.  You may have played both.  Star wars was more fun though.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/05/05 at 9:29 pm

Arkanoid, I plopped quarters into it like crazy, and still manage to end up spending hours playing it!

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 01/06/05 at 8:31 am

I'd say Asteroids and Space invaders...Pacman and Joust to a close second..

Written By: Howard on 01/06/05 at 2:41 pm

Punch Out
Asteroids
Hogan's Alley
Popeye

Howard

Written By: krakboi on 01/06/05 at 6:28 pm

I'd say Asteroids and Space invaders...Pacman and Joust to a close second..

As you can see by my avatar, Joust is one of my all time favorites.  I find this one to be a lot of fun still even today.

Written By: AL-B on 01/06/05 at 7:43 pm

I liked: Zaxxon, Super Punch Out, Q-Bert, Raiden, Tempest, Defender, and Donkey Kong Jr...to name a few.  There also a tank game (early 90's--I think it was an updated version of Battlezone, but I forget what it was called--something to do with "mechs") that had 2 seats and you could go head-to-head with someone and try and blow them up, me and my younger brother used to love that game. I think it'd be cool to collect and restore old coin-op video games. I wonder if some of them are getting valuable?

Written By: krakboi on 01/06/05 at 10:00 pm

I liked: Zaxxon, Super Punch Out, Q-Bert, Raiden, Tempest, Defender, and Donkey Kong Jr...to name a few.  There also a tank game (early 90's--I think it was an updated version of Battlezone, but I forget what it was called--something to do with "mechs") that had 2 seats and you could go head-to-head with someone and try and blow them up, me and my younger brother used to love that game. I think it'd be cool to collect and restore old coin-op video games. I wonder if some of them are getting valuable?

That is my hobby.  Tons of fun, and yes, some are commanding some big bucks (you can check Ebay to get an idea).  My arcade game site is here.

http://www.krakboi.com/arcades/arcadegames.htm

Written By: Howard on 01/07/05 at 2:31 pm

http://www.krakboi.com/arcades/trackandfield.jpg

One of my favorite games. :)

Howard

Written By: krakboi on 01/07/05 at 2:50 pm

Which one?  I don't have Defender anymore, but still have the Track and Field.  Track and Field is always a lot of fun 2 player.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/05 at 2:52 pm

Which one?  I don't have Defender anymore, but still have the Track and Field.  Track and Field is always a lot of fun 2 player.

Track And Field.In the end,it always gave me blisters. :( :P

Howard

Written By: darktower on 04/12/05 at 2:45 pm

All my gang and I worked as video arcade attendants and or managers from 1982-84, so after getting prepared at local "public houses", we'd go back to the arcades after hours, rack up hundreds of free games, and play all night (the statute of limitations is up, right?). Once during the fabled "Summer of Ms. Pac-man", we pulled an all-nighter in a quest to find and play every Ms. Pac-man game anywhere in town.

Battlezone, Qix, Q-bert, Pengo, Mappy, all genders of Pac-man, Dragon's Lair, Centipede, Galaga, Tron.
The first time I saw a game character rip out another one's skull and spinal column, I walked away and never looked back. Pity.

Written By: Doc Brown on 04/12/05 at 3:06 pm

Pity indeed, DT. I will say that Mortal Kombat and its sequels weren't nearly as bad as some of the knock-offs that came trying to copy off the franchise. Killer Instinct and maybe SoulEdge/Caliber were okay, but Primal Rage and Time Killers were absolute trash!

OTOH, you missed out on some very cool lghtgun games when you walked away. I always enjoyed Lethal Enforcers, Revolution X, Area 51, Silent Scope, Target: Terror, and the Time Crisis series, some of which are still popular today.
There aren't many adventure games out these days, but I was glad a few years ago when they revived Gauntlet with the Legends edition, which gave the game a backstory and final goal, making it far more exciting. Your thoughts?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/12/05 at 3:47 pm

Operation: Wolf was another one I put my coins into.

Check for new replies or respond here...