inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This is gonna sound stupid but...

Written By: OliverDK on 01/04/05 at 7:20 pm

I was born in 1971 and saw the Berlin Wall fall on my 19th birthday, and although I have a blank in my memory between '83 and '86 I still think of the 80s as the best time of my life, but I grew up in Denmark (A small nordic kingdom) and that apparently makes a difference.

So would someone please tell me what jelly shoes, the brat pack, a care bear and the care bear stare - that I see mentioned everywhere - is.

OliverDK

Subject: Re: This is gonna sound stupid but...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/04/05 at 8:15 pm

jelly shoes were plastic shoes/sandals that came in neon colors like blue, pink (I had pink), red, etc. They always left imprints on your foot thanks to sweat!

Care bears were overpriced stuffed bears with symbols on their bellies (e.g. crescent moon, rain cloud, sun).

The brat pack were a bunch of young actors/actresses that usually starred in at least one movie with each other. They included Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Ally Sheedy, Anthony Michael Hall, and Demi Moore. Movie example: The Breakfast Club

Care Bear stare was some group love type thing the bears would give if someone was in trouble or needed extra love.

Tanya

Written By: OliverDK on 01/04/05 at 8:23 pm

We called the Brat Pack something else in Denmark, but okay.

Thanks a lot Tanya.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/04/05 at 8:27 pm

Anytime, Oliver! I'm glad to be of help.

Tanya

Written By: A. Guest on 06/30/05 at 1:51 pm

I was born in 1971 and saw the Berlin Wall fall on my 19th birthday, and although I have a blank in my memory between '83 and '86 I still think of the 80s as the best time of my life, but I grew up in Denmark (A small nordic kingdom) and that apparently makes a difference.

So would someone please tell me what jelly shoes, the brat pack, a care bear and the care bear stare - that I see mentioned everywhere - is.

OliverDK

Well if you were born in 1971, then you would have turned 19 in 1990...the Berlin wall fell in 1989 last time I checked. ::) So you woulda been 18 when the Berlin Wall fell.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/30/05 at 4:29 pm

I know Tanya already explained, but...

Written By: Powerslave on 07/01/05 at 1:44 am

OliverDK

Don't sweat it Oliver. I'm from Australia, and I don't know about half the stuff people talk about here either. :)

Written By: OliverDK on 07/01/05 at 3:20 pm

Well if you were born in 1971, then you would have turned 19 in 1990...the Berlin wall fell in 1989 last time I checked. ::) So you woulda been 18 when the Berlin Wall fell.

A minor lack of memory Powerslave, I was born November 9th 1971, and for some reason wanted it to be my 19th birthday, sorry about that.

Written By: Powerslave on 07/06/05 at 2:41 am

A minor lack of memory Powerslave, I was born November 9th 1971, and for some reason wanted it to be my 19th birthday, sorry about that.

I didn't say anything.  :)

Written By: pell on 07/06/05 at 2:48 am

jelly shoes were plastic shoes/sandals that came in neon colors like blue, pink (I had pink), red, etc. They always left imprints on your foot thanks to sweat!

Care bears were overpriced stuffed bears with symbols on their bellies (e.g. crescent moon, rain cloud, sun).

The brat pack were a bunch of young actors/actresses that usually starred in at least one movie with each other. They included Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Ally Sheedy.....................

oooh, ahhhh... (ahem) What did you say after Ally Sheedy?

Written By: shadowtheninja on 07/06/05 at 4:27 am

Carebears are soft teddy bears.

Check for new replies or respond here...