inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: An idea: Live Aid 2005 to aid tsunami victims

Written By: PhilsHawks on 01/05/05 at 4:26 pm

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the Live Aid concerts which occured simultaneously in London and Philadelphia on 7/13/85.  The purpose of the concerts was to raise money for the humanitarian famine tragedy in Africa that was occuring at that time.  Recently, the world was visited by another humanitarian tragedy, that being the tsunami in the Indian Ocean.  Massive funds are needed and will still be needed after the event fades from the public consciousness.  Wouldn't this be the perfect reason to do a 20th anniversary Live Aid concert/concerts this summer to aid victims of the disaster?

They would have to find a different location for the US concert, though.  Philadelphia's JFK Stadium was torn down years ago, although the Philadelphia Eagles have  a new stadium adjacent to the site of the old stadium.

Subject: Re: An idea: Live Aid 2005 to aid tsunami victims

Written By: 80s Lady on 01/05/05 at 6:43 pm

I believe that I heard on the news this morning that it was in the works.  Something that U2 is putting together.

Written By: bnene on 01/06/05 at 5:53 am

Actually, a group of 70-80 pop stars in Hong Kong are gathering to make a public performance to raise fund for the South Asian victims. A cantonese version of "WE ARE THE WORLD"  called "LOVE" has been recorded and released on January 5 to arouse public attention to the campaign. Tho' I think the original USA for America version is better, I am still pleased to see our local HK people are paying so much love and concern the victims.

Recent news has it that some Thai stars are joining the performance on January 7. Guess it would arouse much attention in Asian.

Written By: karen on 01/06/05 at 6:37 am

I can't find a link to the story but I heard on the radio earlier this week that a concert is being arranged in Britain.  I think they said it would be before the end of this month and is going to be held in Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales.  The new Wembley stadium is still under construction I believe.

modified to add

I just found this link

http://www.stereoboard.com/artistnews/news-747.html

The concert will be on 22 January and The Stereophonics and The Darkness amongst others are likely to play

Written By: ferrisb on 01/06/05 at 11:46 am

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the Live Aid concerts which occured simultaneously in London and Philadelphia on 7/13/85.  The purpose of the concerts was to raise money for the humanitarian famine tragedy in Africa that was occuring at that time.  Recently, the world was visited by another humanitarian tragedy, that being the tsunami in the Indian Ocean.  Massive funds are needed and will still be needed after the event fades from the public consciousness.  Wouldn't this be the perfect reason to do a 20th anniversary Live Aid concert/concerts this summer to aid victims of the disaster?

They would have to find a different location for the US concert, though.  Philadelphia's JFK Stadium was torn down years ago, although the Philadelphia Eagles have  a new stadium adjacent to the site of the old stadium.

As a person currently resident in Sri Lanka I'd certainly second this idea.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/07/05 at 8:34 am

Australia is doing a Live Aid type gig on the steps of the Opera House in Sydney on Saturday night.

Its called Australia Unites - Reach Out to Asia

Its a big first in that all three commercial stations - 7,9 and 10 - have banded together instead of being at each others throats.
The 2 and a half hour gig/telethon will be telecast on all three stations at the same time and simulcast on many radio stations across the country. Popular hosts from all three stations will co host the night.

http://www.seven.com.au/sunrise/australiaunites

Not sure who out of this list is known of overseas - but here is the gig list

Killing Heidi
Guy Sebastian
Missy Higgins
You Am I
The Living End
Jet
Spiderbait
The Dissociatives
Kasey Chambers
Jon Stevens and Noiseworks
Alex Lloyd

Hope it raises a tonne.

Written By: karen on 01/07/05 at 10:01 am

Just read in today's local paper that someone is organising a local version in the town hall.  Not that there will be any big names headlining or anything.

Check for new replies or respond here...