inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: OK ALL YOU METALLICA FANS--

Written By: neebs25 on 01/07/05 at 12:19 pm

OK ALL YOU METALLICA FANS--
  This band is one of my all time favorites, Im sure most of you would agree....so what is your favorite Metallica song?  I choose "One"...  Off of their "and justice for all" albulm, and it also happens to be their first video ever.  The drum solo that Lars does gets me banging my head everytime.

Subject: Re: OK ALL YOU METALLICA FANS--

Written By: sputnikcorp on 01/07/05 at 3:56 pm

fade to black is my favourite metallica song.

Written By: mitch1987 on 01/07/05 at 9:03 pm

I'll second FADE TO BLACK. Still one of the best songs ever IMO. Master of Puppets is a close second.

Written By: goodsin on 01/08/05 at 8:45 am

I'd go for "Pulling Teeth (Anaesthesia)" off Kill 'Em All. The way that spanners your head, then slides into the mayhem that is "Whiplash", still gets me moshing even now, and I haven't even got hair any more (anyone else find headbanging without hair a bit wierd?). It was the first Metallica song I ever heard, when Tommy Vance of BBC Radio fame showcased some stuff from Kill 'Em All back in the early 80's. Got me into Thrash, and Metallica particularly. It's all the more poignant as it's a bass solo by Cliff Burton; I personally think Metallica were far superior when Cliff was around, and would have gone on to be more creative if he had stayed with them longer. Metal up your @ss & Cliff 'em all!!  :D

Written By: _adam_ on 01/08/05 at 9:06 am

Was Mettalica popular in 80`s ?
When they became popular ?

Written By: goodsin on 01/08/05 at 9:55 am

I don't know when they became really popular, but Kill 'Em All was their first full-length LP & that came out in 1983. The height of their popularity amongst people I knew was around the time of the Master of Puppets album, 1986-ish. By then, they were the leading Bay Area Thrash band- I can only say what I experienced in the UK, I'm not sure at what point they became mega-famous elsewhere. It's worth mentioning that the majority of the public in my area became aware of Metallica's name through T-shirts, rather than music- many people saw kids wearing the "Ride The Lightning" T-shirts long before they heard Metallica's music- by the time MOP came out, the music had mellowed just enough for the mainstream palate to accept, and the rest is history- I think it's sad that nowadays they're better known for their Napster attitude than their massive contribution to a genre they made their own, but then, he who lives by the sword...

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 01/09/05 at 8:00 am

I 3rd "Fade To Black" :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 8:07 am

Was Mettalica popular in 80`s ?
When they became popular ?

Yup for the whole of the 80's they were properly formed in '81 and hit it big a few years later.. i would agree with goodsin and say '85-86 was when they really went big.

My favourite Metallica song.. wow it's hard to say really.. i am a huge Metallica fan.. at the moment i am looking at a big Lars Ulrich poster that is above my pc  :)...

At a concert it has to be enter sandman it's just the ultimate stadium song.. I love some of there covers the best, whiskey in the jar is an obvious one, as is last caress and a few others.

For whom the bell tolls has to be one of my favourites and maybe Sanitarium.

One is an awesome song, even better is the version of One from the S&M album.

Written By: Frank Rizzo on 01/09/05 at 11:04 am

Has to be...The Entire Kill em All cd  but I guess Anesthesia pulling teeth is the best ever

Check for new replies or respond here...