inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: what would you get back from the 80's? what would you hate to have come back?

Written By: bettyboop945 on 01/07/05 at 9:45 pm

i so loved the 80's id bring back my bin which was fuzzy felt covered with big fuzzy felt eyes and ban jelly bean shoes and bags as every thing would fall out the sides any how ::) 8) :) ;)

Subject: Re: what would you get back from the 80's? what would you hate to have come back?

Written By: goodsin on 01/08/05 at 9:44 am

I'd love to have my Red Or Dead Space Baby Doctor Marten boots back. Pink clear plastic, with silver pictures of babies in space suits on the side, would look a bit daft nowadays & was never mainstream fashion, but I'm pretty sure they don't still make 'em.
Bondage/ zippy trousers were another fashion, but I wouldn't wear them again- we would frequently get nasty contusions from falling over in them & the zips bruising you through the fabric. My knees still have the scars to prove it!
Make-up for boys- although there are a lot more trans-gender types about nowadays, it's gone back to being pretty taboo for blokes to wear make-up; in the 80's it was a lot more commonplace, and was indeed the trend for several 80's culture groups (New Romantics, Goths, Hair-Metallers etc). I'd like to see a return to society accepting that men have as much right to decorate themselves as women.
I'd not like to see a return to the "Greed is Good" way of thinking of the 80s. Margaret Thatchers' UK monetary policies spawned a boom (followed by a bust of near equal size) in people being able to create their own wealth, this was epitomised by the nouveau riche YUPPie. These idiots could be heard having cocaine-fuelled conversations into brick-sized mobile phones in wine bars all over London; thankfully nowadays they are not so prominent (other than in the financial district of London), don't advertise their drug abuse so openly & appear just to be talking to themselves about the Stock Exchange, due to the popularity of Bluetooth headsets. Come to think of it, Gordon Gecko's old mantra has been supplanted in the 2000s by the UK government's concept that "only government greed is good"!

Subject: Re: what would you get back from the 80's? what would you hate to have come back?

Written By: bendergoonie1988 on 01/08/05 at 11:09 am

i would love to see pretty much ALL fashion return, as well as the orignal music, the big hair, river phoenix, the john hughes movies (and i want him to make more!), and just the awesome environment of it all-- not technologically-oriented, no stupid cell phones that are so small when you try to press the buttons it turns out all screwed up, no britney spears... no late 90's....

i would not like to have much of the political stuff return, like any wars that went on during the time.

GOONIES NEVER SAY DIE

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/08/05 at 11:19 am

the fashion, the tv shows, the music, the toys

What I'd hate to return: the politics, the fear of any outside threat, legwarmers

Tanya

Written By: goodsin on 01/08/05 at 11:46 am

One thing I've just remembered is the fear we used to have of nuclear attack- mainly anti-communist propaganda, but the threat was vaguely there- I'd not like to see that return.

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/08/05 at 3:30 pm

I'd love to see (almost)it all come back: The music, the movies, the fashion, the trends, the cars(made in the USA), and I admit President Reagan was a hero of mine, I'd give anything to have him back(but I'm glad we have George W now!)

What I wouldn't want back: Communism, inflation, Jimmy Carter in the White House, death metal, Love Connection, Out Of This World, Small Wonder, Married With Children, Just The Ten Of Us, Morton Downey, John Hinckley Jr., Mark David Chapman, Dynasty/The Colbys, My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite(Why couldn't my sister keep her stuff out of my room?!?), the Iran-Iraq war, movies with Porky's/Nerds in the title, movies starring Freddy/Jason, Annie, CATS, David Letterman(oh wait, he's still not gone!) and anything stamped with "MADE IN JAPAN".

There might be more, but I'm tolerant of most things, and maybe I'll add more later.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: krakboi on 01/08/05 at 4:01 pm

My youth!

Written By: OliverDK on 01/08/05 at 4:47 pm

Imagine the movie Groundhog Day with a twist; instead of reliving a single day, you'll get to relive the 80s.

I wouldn't mind.

8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/08/05 at 6:46 pm

What I would like to have back: The TV shows, the music, the toys, and the movies.

What I would hate to see come back: The hair styles, Communism, Nuclear War fear, and Yuppies and the whole "Greed Is Good" thing.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/05 at 6:50 pm

To get back: 2XL,Jordache Jeans,funny toys

hate to have back:hairdos,wacky sayings on shirts.

Howard

Written By: Mergal on 01/08/05 at 7:11 pm

What I want back:  New York Seltzer soda (hope that's the right name!)
                          ambitious people (society now thinks "ambitious" holds the same meaning as "aggressive"!)
                          JEM to join the other retro toys

What I'd hate: neon colours
                    cycling shorts
                    shoulder pads  :P

Subject: Re: what would you get back from the 80's? what would you hate to have come back

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/08/05 at 8:12 pm

If I went to the 80s, I'd never come back.
To tell you the truth, If I found a sweet guy attatched to a cool subculture in the 80s, I wouldn't care to come back.

Written By: AL-B on 01/08/05 at 8:38 pm

Two things:

1.) Smoke-filled arcades.

2.) Cheap used muscle cars! :)

Written By: bettyboop945 on 01/08/05 at 8:59 pm

hi yesterday was my 1st day on here you know one of these thread things ...it worked wwhhhooooooo and i think the 80s were the best days thank god quireboys and thunder are back going to see them all this year so i can step back in time  :) saw whitesnake last year oh the memories. ::) 8)

Written By: Kenosha on 01/09/05 at 12:07 pm

the fashion, the tv shows, the music, the toys

What I'd hate to return: the politics, the fear of any outside threat, legwarmers

Tanya

I saw a girl at the mall a couple days ago wearing legwarmers.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/09/05 at 5:40 pm

To this very day, I am still trying to figure out the purpose behind legwarmers.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 01/09/05 at 7:34 pm

To have back:2XL,Atari,Collecovision.

hate to have back:hairdos,punk hair,Barbie

Howard

Written By: goodsin on 01/10/05 at 3:52 am

To this very day, I am still trying to figure out the purpose behind legwarmers.  ::)

The clue's in the name!  ;D

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 01/10/05 at 6:39 am

I would bring back Countdown, Countdown, Countdown! Along with all the good music that used to be on the show -cos I would hate for it to be full of Britney Spears and Nikki Webster and the like! Even Molly was alright, with or without the hat.
I would leave behind those plastic button earrings I am forever bitching about. I actually saw some in a reasonably trendy jewelry shop the other day -it cannot be happening!
Cheers!
Dee  :-*

Written By: AL-B on 01/10/05 at 10:52 am

All of the stuff I didn't like about the 80's keeps coming back in one form or another. That is, teen pop idols. They've been around since the late 1950's and there will always be new ones to annoy us.

Written By: 80s Lady on 01/10/05 at 6:50 pm

My youth!

OWWWWWWWWWIE!!!!!  Yikes, that smarts!!!!!! :\'(

Written By: 80s Lady on 01/10/05 at 6:56 pm

Actually, both Jordache jeans (Howard's request) and legwarmers are making a comeback!!  I've seen both at WalMart.  Well, what I mean to say is that I bought 2 pairs of Jordache but my kids said they'd disown me if I got the legwarmers!!!!  Ain't that something??  My KIDS threatening to disown ME for something I wear???!!!!! ::)

Written By: Salpi on 01/15/05 at 1:10 am

Right now the number 1 thing I absolutely really wish would come back is "You Can't Do That On
Television"I was born in 1990, but I saw it last june on nickelodeon and I really loved it, it was the
best sketch comedy show in the whole universe, "and I thought that snl was funny".

What I don't want to come back is the challenger,any wars, and all the bad things that happened at
the time!

p.s. this is my 1st post here...I LOVE THE 80'S

Written By: Tam on 01/15/05 at 1:34 am

ahhhh... The 80's.
Rollerskates and Vidal Sassoon Jeans!
When Saturday Night Live writers were GOOD!
When my biggest worry was purple or blue mascara!

I would bring it all back - except the cheesy computers:
The Commodore 64
TI99
The Icon......

Written By: Skippy on 01/16/05 at 9:03 am

To have back:2XL,Atari,Collecovision.

Howard: Go to eBay. I've procurred many Atari games from there. Consoles from the old systems are cheap.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/05 at 7:37 pm

Howard: Go to eBay. I've procurred many Atari games from there. Consoles from the old systems are cheap.

Oh Ok,Thanks Skippy. :)

Howard

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/17/05 at 9:27 am

I remember in the mid 80's when nail polish came in a marker-like container - I wish they would bring that back, it would be sooo much easier to paint your nails that way. That, and I would bring back any kind of clothes that had those cool neon colors like
HOT PINK!

One thing I would not bring back are outfits with shoulder pads (although I must confess I owned a few myself) - they look silly to me now.

Written By: goodsin on 01/17/05 at 9:51 am

Spitting Image, 80's UK political satire puppet show. It was far more derisory of authority figures than anything on UK TV today, I'd love to see them rip Bliar & Bush apart. Anyone remember any of the songs they released- the two I remember, both of which charted, were "I've never met a nice South African" & "The Chicken Song", the latter of which was number 1 in the UK charts, I believe...

Check for new replies or respond here...