inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What were the 80's like . . . . more

Written By: Nani on 01/12/05 at 5:19 pm

What were the 80's like and how does it compare to todays day and age?

Subject: Re: What were the 80's like . . . . more

Written By: Dagwood on 01/12/05 at 6:37 pm

Well, the guys wore pants that fit...none of this hanging below the butt stuff.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/05 at 6:38 pm

cell phones were much bigger back then. ;D

Howard

Written By: 80s Lady on 01/12/05 at 9:23 pm

Well, the guys wore pants that fit...none of this hanging below the butt stuff.

LOL!!  It's funny that you mention this particular problem!!  HUGE pet peeve of mine!!!  Being an a$$ chic and all, I loooooove to see a man in a pair of plain ole Levis that are so tight you can read his credit card number through his back pocket!! ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/12/05 at 9:45 pm

cell phones were much bigger back then. ;D

Howard

They where really big and heavy looking!  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/12/05 at 9:46 pm

Audio tapes where big, good luck finding them now!

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/13/05 at 7:44 am

CD's were packaged in big cardboard then and harder to open up.

We had laser discs that looked like big vinyl records instead of DVD's.

Clothes had shoulder pads. ( I admit it, I wore them too)

MTV actually played videos.

I might think of some more later.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/13/05 at 10:05 am

We had laser discs that looked like big vinyl records instead of DVD's.

Clothes had shoulder pads. ( I admit it, I wore them too)

MTV actually played videos.

I might think of some more later.

I remember the big cardboard packing for them too!  ;D

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 01/13/05 at 10:17 am

We had laser disc back when I was a kid but I think I broke it! ;D

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 01/13/05 at 10:19 am

.....I Thought it was a shiny frisbee. :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/13/05 at 10:22 am

We had laser disc back when I was a kid but I think I broke it! ;D

How did you break it?  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/13/05 at 10:24 am

Video tapes where big at the time, they even outlasted Beta!

Satallite dishes where large, now they are smaller and carry digital channels.

Written By: mitch1987 on 01/13/05 at 11:03 am

well back in the 80's if you wanted to play the best or your favorite video game you had to go to a smoke filled arcade with a bunch of your friends and spend all $2.50 that you had from your allowance. Course back then that got you a pop and chips as well lol.
Nowdays if you want to play the best or your favorite video games you just go home and play it on your X BOX or PLAYSTATION. But todays games cost you $60.00 and you are lucky if you can find anyone who has the time to come over and play. :-\\

Written By: Howard on 01/13/05 at 3:35 pm

nowadays,cellular phones are as small as the palm of your hand. :o

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/13/05 at 3:38 pm

you always had a Blockbuster video store or something like that in relation.nowadays,you can watch videos on demand or on Cable-Satellite TV or Direct TV.

Howard

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/13/05 at 3:39 pm

Video tapes where big at the time, they even outlasted Beta!

Satallite dishes where large, now they are smaller and carry digital channels.

Those actually still exist. They're called C-Band or TVRO. With these you can subscribe and point to various transponders instead of just one like you do with the Pizza Pan Sats.
Because most transponders are going digital, C-Band is a dying breed.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/13/05 at 7:00 pm

Vinyl records where big, now it CDs.

People used to listen to Walkmens, now it's MP3 players and IPODs.

Written By: Skippy on 01/16/05 at 9:34 am

Those actually still exist. They're called C-Band or TVRO

I have one of those "Big" dishes. C-band is alive and well. Many of the digital channells use C-band transponders. They're digitally compressed which allows ten signals per transponder. All you need to receive both analog and digital signals is a 4dtv de-scrambler. The pizza dishes use a format called PowerVue.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/05 at 7:33 pm

Vinyl records where big, now it CDs.

People used to listen to Walkmens, now it's MP3 players and IPODs.

Back in those days,there were no such thing as portable CD players just victrolas. ;D

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/16/05 at 10:08 pm

Back in those days,there were no such thing as portable CD players just victrolas. ;D

Howard

I remember listening to the old phonogram.... back when I was a youngster!!!!  ::)  ;D

Written By: RojoP on 01/16/05 at 10:35 pm

I still get a big laugh when I watch the "Wedding Singer" and Drew Berrymore's fiance uses that big ole cell phone.

It's amazing how far technology has come in the past 15-20 years.

Old cathode ray tube tv's being replaced with plasma and lcd's
Commodore 64 v the pc's of today
Pac Mac v Halo
gas guzzlers v hybrids

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 01/17/05 at 6:19 am

I was really happy back then. MTV 24 hours a day.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/17/05 at 12:29 pm

Well, BIG seems to be the adjective. The bigger the better. But so far, no one has mentioned big hair.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/17/05 at 6:59 pm

I still get a big laugh when I watch the "Wedding Singer" and Drew Berrymore's fiance uses that big ole cell phone.

It's amazing how far technology has come in the past 15-20 years.

Old cathode ray tube tv's being replaced with plasma and lcd's
Commodore 64 v the pc's of today
Pac Mac v Halo
gas guzzlers v hybrids

Yeah Rojo.In 1985,you didn't have all the conviences like we have today.Apple computers are now replaced by laptops and huge cell phones are now replaced by smaller cellular flip phones.What a difference 20 years make. :o

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/17/05 at 7:01 pm

I remember listening to the old phonogram.... back when I was a youngster!!!!  ::)   ;D

I hated the phonograph.It always scratched my records and I wound up with skipping sounds. ::)

Howard

Written By: OliverDK on 01/18/05 at 5:55 am

My passion is vinyl and back in the 80s you could get all the cool music on vinyl, you could get the records from brand new, instead of having to go second-hand as you do today

Written By: Howard on 01/18/05 at 4:53 pm

you always had to travel to places but today everything is basically computerized and you can do your shopping at home even in your pajamas. ;D

Howard

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/18/05 at 9:52 pm

The best thing about the world in the post 1997/1998 years is the technology.  Period.  I love the world wide web, email and surfing the net.  I love our smaller cell phones and other digital technology.  I love DVDs.  Many of these things are outgrowths of technology from the 80s, and not totally brand new stuff that is completely different from 80s technology, but it is so cool how far it has all come.  The majority populace is now able to do things we could never do pre-the late 90s. 

Written By: Skippy on 01/19/05 at 6:13 am

VCR's were these big, clunky toploading things. Most people rented video cassettes because they cost around $70-$90 to own. The VCR itself wasn't cheap. BetaMax was hot for a brief period in the early part of the decade. Cd's were called compact laser discs and the players cost a lot of money. Walkman's became very popular(the predecessor to the I-Pod). You were a punker or a preppie or one of the middle class nobodies. Parachute pants came in later in the decade. Music was quite diverse, unlike today where it seems more corporate oriented.
Oh yeah, and MTV actually played music most of the time and the videos were more original.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/19/05 at 9:37 am

I remember VCR's and I still have some of my old videotapes, my first video tape was "E.T." and one of my last video tapes I bought was "Dungeons and Dragons".

Written By: neebs25 on 01/19/05 at 11:15 am

Those days certainly seemed to be more carefree then nowadays. 

Written By: Skippy on 01/19/05 at 3:50 pm

Remember how expensive computers were then? With 16-20MHz processors no less. We thought that was fast. LOL ;D :D

If you want a news timeline of events try this link:  http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/years.htm  Scroll down to the 80's section.

And here's ABC's timeline:  http://www.abc.net.au/archives/timeline/1980s.htm

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 01/19/05 at 4:00 pm

Those days certainly seemed to be more carefree then nowadays. 

Yes, they where. I want that back. :(

Written By: Howard on 01/19/05 at 4:17 pm

The best thing about the world in the post 1997/1998 years is the technology.  Period.  I love the world wide web, email and surfing the net.  I love our smaller cell phones and other digital technology.  I love DVDs.  Many of these things are outgrowths of technology from the 80s, and not totally brand new stuff that is completely different from 80s technology, but it is so cool how far it has all come.  The majority populace is now able to do things we could never do pre-the late 90s. 

The best thing about the 80's was that everything was inconveinent for you but as of today's youth,everybody has a lot of convieinces such as not leaving you house to buy something,cellular phones you can actually take with you wherever you go,portable walkmans.technology has really changed over the past 20 years.times have changed for the better. :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/19/05 at 4:18 pm

Yes, they where. I want that back. :(

though it seems that everybody or everything is moving in a fast paced world. :o

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/07/06 at 12:06 am

To recreate the 80's, (at least for me) drivethrough a busy shopping area in Phoenix's east valley during a sunny day while listening to an 80's song. Seriously though, a lot of retro shows and memoriablia paint the 80's as some plastic theme park. However the decade was just as real as today, complete with blue skies, grass, and concrete.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/08/06 at 3:37 am

Whoa, what a philosophical mindbender!

What were the 1980s like?

Well, speaking for myself, the '80s were the perfect time to be alive!

Politically, the US was the strongest country, that had it as close to "all together" as one can get.
At the same time, Ronald Reagan provided a literal platinum mine for stand-up comics!

Musically, the world was blossoming, on every front! Bold new steps being taken, on all sides- country, rock (when it WAS rock, and not 'alternative'), jazz, blues, even classical music had a new direction it went! (See Mego's version of "Star Wars"- the music).

The media was opening the doors for women to mainstream more than just being models and centerfolds.
Movies were actually covering something other than sex, drugs, and the "cop killer" attitude!
Life meant something, back then. There was still some innocence left in the world, some enchantment & wonder.

Technology was hitting major strides, as were New Age philosophies.
Penny candy still existed. AIDS was not the "taboo" subject it eventually became.

So much happened back then.....I fear we shall NEVER see as much progress as we did in those days.

Written By: wndysbg on 06/08/06 at 4:07 pm

LOL!!

Written By: wndysbg on 06/08/06 at 4:19 pm

The '80's to me represent youth, innocence and a lot carefree moments.  I enjoyed not having all the technology kids have today.  It allowed us to be kids and grow up at our own rate.    We didn't have to worry about kids shooting up schools and AIDS had not scared us yet.  It was a great time to grow up  and I treasure my '80's memories.

Written By: 80sforever on 06/08/06 at 4:59 pm

Lets see...Cartoons were REAL cartoons (hand drawn vs computer animation) and were way better and less complicated

The movies were creative and weren't a bunch of remakes ( I'm sure there were a few but NOTHING like today)

As someone else mention music was also creative instead of the stuff they try to pass of as decent today

Color  (lots of neon and pastels) was big as was the hair...lol

Kids could be kids...

...times were simpler back then. I remember going up to the bowling alley to play video games with a former friend or going to the real arcade across the street before it closed. I remember being able to walk anywhere without the fear of kidnapping when I was around 10yrs old. Now days forget it! Everything is too fast pace especially for the kids. When I hear about all the school work and extra activities the kids do now days it makes me wonder when do they have time to use their minds to play creatively?

Man I feel old... :-\\

Written By: wndysbg on 06/08/06 at 5:36 pm

Lets see...Cartoons were REAL cartoons (hand drawn vs computer animation) and were way better and less complicated

The movies were creative and weren't a bunch of remakes ( I'm sure there were a few but NOTHING like today)

As someone else mention music was also creative instead of the stuff they try to pass of as decent today

Color  (lots of neon and pastels) was big as was the hair...lol

Kids could be kids...

...times were simpler back then. I remember going up to the bowling alley to play video games with a former friend or going to the real arcade across the street before it closed. I remember being able to walk anywhere without the fear of kidnapping when I was around 10yrs old. Now days forget it! Everything is too fast pace especially for the kids. When I hear about all the school work and extra activities the kids do now days it makes me wonder when do they have time to use their minds to play creatively?

Man I feel old... :-\\

Don't worry - I feel old too.  But you captured the spirit of the '80's well. 

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/08/06 at 5:39 pm

One other thing I forgot to mention:

The physical appearance of the human body wasn't under as much scrutiny as it is now.
Back then, the only ones who stood NO chance of getting a date were "freak geeks", those of us who are morbidly obese, and those few Foreign Exchange students who spoke non-cool languages.

(The "cool" languages to learn back then were French, Italian, Latin, sometimes German, and Greek. Spanish wasn't considered "cool" because everyone & their uncles were learning it.)

Nowadays, a guy like me with a few extra pounds in the middle, a small @$$, & doesn't wear jeans (of ANY sort) gets looked at like I'm at a black-tie affair dressed as Snoop Dogg!

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/08/06 at 7:53 pm

I was really happy back then. MTV 24 hours a day.

And they played music videos for 23 out of 24 of those hours!  Uphill!  Both ways!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/09/06 at 12:42 am

I'm with you - give me a man in a good fitting pair of Levi 501's anyday!!! ;)

I totally dig that, too. Man, what a turn on - gets me all hot  ;D  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/09/06 at 12:47 am

I think the '80s was a great time to be a kid because you were still living in a time where technology was still rapidly changing in a way that you could literally see with each year how things would improve or hoped to be improved.

The '80s still had that feel that the late '60s and '70s felt, like you could go outside with your best buds, play ball and discover stuff. The only thing that really marred the '80s was the uprising of kidnappings. I remember my mother being very cautious of me going outside on my own.

I feel like the '80s were the last decade that kids really were more active. We didn't have computers (most of us) and a majority didn't have video game players, and if we did, these games were educational - they weren't Grand Theft Auto I, II and III - lol  ;D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/09/06 at 7:26 pm

I think the '80s was a great time to be a kid because you were still living in a time where technology was still rapidly changing in a way that you could literally see with each year how things would improve or hoped to be improved.

The '80s still had that feel that the late '60s and '70s felt, like you could go outside with your best buds, play ball and discover stuff. The only thing that really marred the '80s was the uprising of kidnappings. I remember my mother being very cautious of me going outside on my own.

I feel like the '80s were the last decade that kids really were more active. We didn't have computers (most of us) and a majority didn't have video game players, and if we did, these games were educational - they weren't Grand Theft Auto I, II and III - lol  ;D

I'm not sure exactly what educational value most '80s video games had- other than extreme math skills- but they sure made for some interesting music!
-"Come on, come on, come on, come on, baby! Do the Donkey Kong..."

Written By: robby76 on 06/09/06 at 9:42 pm

The first time i played Donkey Kong I was stuck for ages cos I thought I was the ape rolling the barrells down.  ;D

Written By: wndysbg on 06/10/06 at 3:16 pm

The first time i played Donkey Kong I was stuck for ages cos I thought I was the ape rolling the barrells down.  ;D

I remember Donkey Kong well.  My boyfriend was like one of the top scorers at the local arcade.  I however prefered Centipede - I could play that game for hours.  What a great date night - spending the evening at the arcade playing video games.  How many kids do that any more?  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/10/06 at 4:58 pm

I'm not sure exactly what educational value most '80s video games had- other than extreme math skills- but they sure made for some interesting music!
-"Come on, come on, come on, come on, baby! Do the Donkey Kong..."

I think some of them required different skill and logic. Others today do, too, but I guess they're wayyy over my head... I need things simple  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 06/10/06 at 5:05 pm

One thing about the 80s was that you could walk into a Video Arcade, and play games for a quarter, as opposed to now where they start at 50c and go as high as 2 bucks

Also, it was said that "Home taping is killing music".  Sometimes when you'd buy an album, the record would come with an inner sleeve with this logo ...

http://x2.i-dat.org/~ec/content/images/hf_homeTaping.gif

Home taping eventually faded away, yet there are still a few of us who use cassette tapes.  I still do, and I know McFly does too :)

Long live the cassette tape 8)

Written By: whistledog on 06/10/06 at 5:07 pm

Sometimes they came in those impossible to open plastic sealed packages too.  I have one from 1989 called "Much Music presents Mush Music" that came in one.  The CD in the CD case was on the bottom, and the inner sleeve was above it.  You basically had to assemble it yourself ;D

Written By: wndysbg on 06/10/06 at 7:59 pm

One thing about the 80s was that you could walk into a Video Arcade, and play games for a quarter, as opposed to now where they start at 50c and go as high as 2 bucks

Also, it was said that "Home taping is killing music".  Sometimes when you'd buy an album, the record would come with an inner sleeve with this logo ...

Home taping eventually faded away, yet there are still a few of us who use cassette tapes.  I still do, and I know McFly does too :)

I'm with you whistledog - long live cassette tapes. . . .  I have too much money invested in them to get rid of them  ;D

Written By: kbundy on 06/10/06 at 11:20 pm

aquanet the purple bottle....75 cents for cigs.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/11/06 at 4:42 am

Shamrock Mint ice cream from Thrifty Drugs.
Sneaking "forbidden" images from the scrambled porno films on TV channels.
Playing "Stop Thief", "Dark Tower", and "Stratego" all in one afternoo.
Remembering when 'crack' was a sexual reference.
Remembering where I was, when John Belushi died.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/06 at 5:52 am

When record shops were still on top, and vinyl was all that they stocked.

Written By: wndysbg on 06/11/06 at 3:35 pm

How about when gasoline was only a dollar?  I use to fill up my little VW Bug - 10 gallon tank  - for 10 bucks.

Written By: OliverDK on 06/13/06 at 5:24 am

When record shops were still on top, and vinyl was all that they stocked.

Those were truely the good, old days.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/13/06 at 1:15 pm

I remember at our Flea Market these people would go as far as making tapes from tapes, copying the same cover with a color printer, and then selling them in mass for a lot cheaper. My best friend always had the latest stuff because they'd get their music there. Yet, the quality was real poor  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...