inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Collecting the eighties?

Written By: mitch1987 on 01/13/05 at 1:59 pm

Hi, I was just wondering what everyone collects from the eighties? LPs, movies, books, clothes, posters, toys, etc..Is collecting a big part of the eighties for you and in bring back all those memories?

Subject: Re: Collecting the eighties?

Written By: woops on 01/13/05 at 3:03 pm

LPs and a few rare video tapes  8)

Written By: Howard on 01/13/05 at 3:23 pm

old magazines,music cassette tapes,wrestling,posters and Michael Jackson stuff.
collecting is not as big as it used to be for me but occasionally I will. :)

Howard

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/13/05 at 3:43 pm

I have a few 80's compilation cassetes and CD's; I also have a stuffed Smurf that I purchased off of E-Bay last year.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/13/05 at 3:48 pm

I have Michael Jackson memorabilia,cassette tapes,CDs and films. :)

Howard

Written By: woops on 01/13/05 at 5:38 pm

Also cassette singles (cassingles)  :D

Written By: kslack on 01/14/05 at 9:01 am

ive got a he-man lunchbox as well as hundreds of terrible 80's lp.s

Written By: krakboi on 01/14/05 at 11:12 am

Most of my 80s collection is made up of video games.  I have 18 full size arcade machines, 100s of 80s console games (atari, intellivision, etc.), and old handheld videogames.  Most of that stuff can be seen on my website www.krakboi.com

I also have all the original Garbage Pail Kids and a bunch of other random 80s stuff (swatches, dinne trays, 45s, etc.)

Written By: Howard on 01/14/05 at 2:12 pm

Most of my 80s collection is made up of video games.  I have 18 full size arcade machines, 100s of 80s console games (atari, intellivision, etc.), and old handheld videogames.  Most of that stuff can be seen on my website www.krakboi.com

I also have all the original Garbage Pail Kids and a bunch of other random 80s stuff (swatches, dinne trays, 45s, etc.)

Hi Krakboi. I also used to collect Garbage Pail Kids from 1986 & 1987. :)

Howard

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 01/14/05 at 8:26 pm

I collect Culture Club picture sleeve singles, picture discs and videos. Got some Uncanny X-men vynly as well, just LOVE 2nd hand record shopping!
Cheers!
Dee  :-*

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 01/15/05 at 6:34 am

Duran Duran and Halll and Oates stuff

Written By: Skippy on 01/16/05 at 8:52 am

Anytime I run across something that sparks a good memory from the 80's I do my durndest to add it to my collection. Lately it's been in the form of Sierra-on-line and LucasFilm video games. I also have albums, toys, etc.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/05 at 7:41 pm

I used to collect just about everything Michael Jackson ranging from his jacket,sequined glove,the Thriller doll,posters,buttons,stickers,etc... I was so infatuated with him. ;D

Howard

Written By: dcs84 on 01/18/05 at 6:42 am

I also collect anything that has a positive eighties impact or is fondly evocative.  I have the standard infatuation with the music and every now and again purchase a 12" or two.  I also loved the 1984 olympics in LA and am now the owner of a banner, an officials jacket, and a hurdle.  I have a couple of Frankie Say t-shirts, I own the shirt Martin Fry from ABC wore on their Lexicon of Love tour,  and I have a drumstick thrown by the Thompson Twins to the audience on their 1986 tour.  Also I buy a lot of music related posters of eighties bands.  I have tons of collections too embarrassing to go into detail here.

Written By: ScorpionMoon9 on 01/18/05 at 11:34 am

I enjoy collecting movies. I like to go to Hot Topic and buy things from the 80's. The original Strawberry Shortcake is what I liked, Care Bears, too. Whenever I want to be remembered I simply go out to several stores and bring those memories back.

Written By: RickP99 on 01/18/05 at 1:22 pm

Hey, Mitch -  great question!   :)

I collect just about anything 80's, especially anything that has the look or feel from that time.  I go to a lot of yard sales and find some good stuff:  PacMan bedspread, Hardee's Smurfs glasses, Muppets glasses, toys and games.

I focus mostly on finding records, magazines and movies.  Movies/TV shows are the greatest because of all the things you can catch in the background or scenery.  The cars, the fashions, grocery items and buildings.  The TV shows/sitcoms especially have a lot of pop culture references in them.  It's fun finding things and reliving old memories.

Written By: mitch1987 on 01/18/05 at 1:43 pm

Thanks everyone!! Yeah I agree that old TV shows and movies are great for taking you back . I love all the gadgets and fashions on shows like Three's Company or Family Ties etc. Or movies like the Flight of the Navigator where he's from the 70's but ends up in the mid eighties. Love the part where Sarah Jessica Parker is asking the kid ( from the 1970's)  what kind of pop he wants? coke, sugar free coke, cherry coke etc. lol. great times.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/05 at 4:42 pm

I used to collect old 80's magazines such as Penny Power(1982-1987),Teen Beat,Mad and so many wrestling magazines. :)

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/05 at 7:36 pm

Just ordered a Shirt Tale (Boogey The Monkey) from E-Bay, and it's coming next in the mail!!!!  :)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 01/19/05 at 10:00 am

My hubby and I both collect vinyl, to play, not just to admire.

Myself, I'm trying to collect old issues of Smash Hits since I used to read it all the time. Issues featuring my favourite bands. I'm also collecting Ultravox stuff, of course! Video footage, bootlegs, etc. (At this point, however, I'm more interested in the Ultravox of the 70's, so that's not really relevant here... but I have also been trying to find stuff from 1980-82.)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/05 at 8:40 pm

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee............. the Shirt Tale I ordered from E-Bay came in today!!!!  :)

Written By: Class of 84 on 01/25/05 at 11:17 pm

Every weekend I would cut out the BillBoard's top ten list of singles from the newspaper, and still have them in my "junk box". Does that count?

Written By: 808080s on 02/02/05 at 10:10 pm

Hey, I too have a drumstick from a Thompson Twins show.. but mine is from earlier, when they toured with A Flock of Seagulls.  Maybe I should E-Bay it?  What do you think?

I also collect anything that has a positive eighties impact or is fondly evocative.  I have the standard infatuation with the music and every now and again purchase a 12" or two.  I also loved the 1984 olympics in LA and am now the owner of a banner, an officials jacket, and a hurdle.  I have a couple of Frankie Say t-shirts, I own the shirt Martin Fry from ABC wore on their Lexicon of Love tour,  and I have a drumstick thrown by the Thompson Twins to the audience on their 1986 tour.  Also I buy a lot of music related posters of eighties bands.  I have tons of collections too embarrassing to go into detail here.

Written By: stingr22 on 02/02/05 at 10:25 pm

Most of my 80s "collection" is music.  I have lots of CDs from the 80s, not to mention tons of MP3s.  I do have some other things I have held on to, like Rolling Stone magazines from the 80s as well as a Live Aid poster and official program.  I also have some magazines that were made later that are dedicated to the 80s.

Check for new replies or respond here...