inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Beastie Boys: Eighties or nineties band?

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/24/05 at 1:20 pm

Even though they probably sold more albums in the 90s, i'm going to have to say eighties.  By a bit, if only because even people who haven't heard of them have heard "Fight For Your Right" and "Brass Monkey" (or Chunky monkey as some call it by mistake  :D). But their 1994 album, Ill Communication, was at least almost as popular, and imo better.  "Get It Together" is the best song EVER. "Intergalactic", a 1999 single, was also huge, and some months ago they made a major comeback (like they were EVER uncool  ;D)

Subject: Re: Beastie Boys: Eighties or nineties band?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/24/05 at 1:43 pm

My favorite song would have to be Sabotage.

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/24/05 at 2:06 pm

Sabotage is a great song too.  imo "No Sleep 'Till Brooklyn" is a tad overrated.  The best songs on Licensed to Ill are Brass Monkey (i even made a cartoon short for the song), The New Style, Rhymin' and Stealin', and Fight for your Right (To Party).  Best album of the eighties and helped give birth to hip-hop.

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/24/05 at 2:12 pm

Another classic off Ill Comm. is B-Boys Makin' with a Freak Freak.  As the Beasties themselves said, "Oh my g*d that's some funky sh*#!

Written By: Kriss on 01/24/05 at 2:15 pm

eighties all the way! lic 2 ill was the best! i met ad rock in london, he was sitting on curb eating a tuna sandwich :)

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/24/05 at 2:24 pm

You met Ad Rock??!!  Awesome!   8)  Is he a cool/nice guy?

Written By: Howard on 01/24/05 at 4:26 pm

Beastie Boys were more of an 80's Band.

Howard

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/24/05 at 4:33 pm

They are 80s.

Beastie Boys and Run DMC had nearly every white kid in America rappin' in the 80s.

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/24/05 at 4:41 pm

So you all seem to agree Beasties belong in the Decade of Excess.  So would you consider their 90s stuff 80s holdovers? (like madonna, dep. mode, etc)  

p.s. How popular was Ill Communication back in '94?  I mean I remember 94 but I was only 4 yrs old and had no clue what music was "fly" then. Did it stack up to Licensed ... in popularity?  I know 1989's "Paul's Botique" was obscure for the B-Boys.

Written By: woops on 01/24/05 at 4:54 pm

Not yet mentioned: "Paul Revere" & "She's Crafty"  8)

And also "Hey Ladies" from 'Paul's Boutique'.

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/24/05 at 6:09 pm

Those songs are great too!  I like "Posse in Effect"  ;D

"I GOT ONE IN A CASTLE AND ONE IN A PAGODA, YOU KNOW I GOT RHYMES LIKE A PAGODA!

Check for new replies or respond here...