inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most Definitive 80s year

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/25/05 at 12:42 pm

What was the most definitive year of the decade? It seems many think 1984.  But 1983 and 1986 also sound like popular choices.  I wasn't around, but I would guess 1983, 1984, or 1986.

Subject: Re: Most Definitive 80s year

Written By: bj26 on 01/25/05 at 12:46 pm

1983 for me, it was the year I really turned on to new wave and punk - I would say it changed my life :D I LOVED THE MUSIC couldn't get enough of it!

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/25/05 at 12:52 pm

quote: couldn't get enough of it!

You "Just Couldn't Get Enough" of Punk/New Wave  :D  If you're think hair metal is the 80s  :P then you might see 1987 as the core year.  1985 and 1986 didn't seem to have much New Wave or Hair Metal.

btw are Europe synth or hair metal?  or a mix?  The final countdown has that anthemic sound but an insanely
corny synth-line.  

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/25/05 at 2:07 pm

quote: couldn't get enough of it!

You "Just Couldn't Get Enough" of Punk/New Wave  :D  If you're think hair metal is the 80s  :P then you might see 1987 as the core year.  1985 and 1986 didn't seem to have much New Wave or Hair Metal.

btw are Europe synth or hair metal?  or a mix?  The final countdown has that anthemic sound but an insanely
corny synth-line.  

Europe are just plain awful!!  ;)  Actually, they'd probably be considered a hair band.

Written By: mitch1987 on 01/25/05 at 6:19 pm

As a hair metal fan, I'd have to say 1987..big suprise ::). And I love Europe!!! Chessie hair metal ruled. I actually usually lump 1987and 1988 together. Might just be because thats when I got my first VCR and began recording videos and television shows. Now I can go back and watch them and relive the moment.

Written By: ski_luvr on 01/25/05 at 6:41 pm

82  Because I  got my license and first CAR!!!!  8)  84  Because I graduated ;D  and 87 Because I turned 21  :D

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/25/05 at 7:09 pm

Mitch, did you record Full House?  ;)

Written By: woops on 01/25/05 at 7:18 pm

1987...also the year of many great albums from U2, Micheal Jackson, REM, The Cure, INXS, Motley Crue, Poison, 10,000 Maniacs, Guns N' Roses, Whitesnake, etc.  8)  :D

Written By: mitch1987 on 01/25/05 at 8:32 pm

Mitch, did you record Full House?  ;)

Sorry FullHouseFan :( but blank VHS tapes were pretty expensive for me back then lol..so I mostly taped music videos off MuchMusic( Canada'sMTV) and a few shows like Tour of Duty, The Equalizer, Wonder Years, Rags to Riches and the odd made for TV movie. The one thing that I like about them is that I was lazy and never took out the commercials. I love watching the old commercials for cars, movies, toys and even other TV shows. I find it really puts you in an eighties mood throughout the show.

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/25/05 at 8:36 pm

That's cool!  Is the picture fuzzy?  I mean 80s tv was color, but everything filmed before 1989 to tv looks blurry.  Even up to 2000 tv looks a tad blurry.  Yeah Full House is an aquired taste  ;D

Written By: Class of 84 on 01/25/05 at 10:39 pm

I would have to say 1984 and 1986 was the most definitive for me, lots of memories, great music, great shows on TV...

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/25/05 at 11:45 pm

Now I was born at the dusk of the 80s so I don't know ... but was 1985 a bland year for 80s pop culture?  I mean some great songs came out then and the Breakfast Club is from early that year, but 85 doesnt stick out.

Written By: Class of 84 on 01/26/05 at 12:00 am

Now I was born at the dusk of the 80s so I don't know ... but was 1985 a bland year for 80s pop culture?  I mean some great songs came out then and the Breakfast Club is from early that year, but 85 doesnt stick out.

Funny you should say that, because for me, 1985 was the stinker year of the 80's. Personally, I was between high school and college, so that could have contributed, but I always thought that the music in 85 was sub par to the rest of the decade, the movies were also lacking that year.

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/26/05 at 12:12 am

Funny you should say that, because for me, 1985 was the stinker year of the 80's. Personally, I was between high school and college, so that could have contributed, but I always thought that the music in 85 was sub par to the rest of the decade, the movies were also lacking that year.

Do you think it's because it's in between the two 80s periods (1981-84) and (86-90)?  You know, the new wave throwaways coupled with hair songs.  The movies, except Breakfast Club (which I havent seen but EVERYONE says is great) sound forgettable.

Written By: mitch1987 on 01/26/05 at 12:29 am

That's cool!  Is the picture fuzzy?  I mean 80s tv was color, but everything filmed before 1989 to tv looks blurry.  Even up to 2000 tv looks a tad blurry.   Yeah Full House is an aquired taste  ;D

Yeah , they are blurry compared to todays standards. And VHS tends to fad with age and use. My music videos especially have a lot of background noise in places lol. They're still great to watch though. and I did like Full House lol.....just didn't have any spare tapes to record on.

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/26/05 at 12:40 am

That's good :) Full House is one of the last family sitcoms, the very last being Boy Meets World (ended 2000).  Wasn't Full House unpopular in the 80s anyway, Mitch?  It didn't seem to get respect until 89 from what I've read.

Written By: _adam_ on 01/26/05 at 9:53 am

1988-best year for hard rock music:Guns`n`roses,Cinderella,Def leppard,..

1987-Highest moment for U2,Whitesnake,Bon jovi,Heart,Beastie boys .Also "Dirty dancing" songs ruled on charts.Best year for music-all-times.

Written By: pcxo on 01/26/05 at 3:47 pm

I can't pick just one year.  When I think of a certain year, I remember different things going on, but if I had  to pick a "stinker" year, it would be 1985.  It was  a transition from little kid to pre teen.  A leap into a new beginning. 

Check for new replies or respond here...