inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are Devo Not Men? (Or Eighties)

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/26/05 at 12:51 am

Do you guys think Devo are a 70s or 80s group (I will say what I think later)?:

Pro-70s Arguments:

1. "Are We Not Men" is 1978 and is very punk
2. Once the band went pure synth on "Freedom of Choice" they had brief success in 80-81 but were all but forgotten
in 82 when "Oh No! It's Devo!" came out.
3. Formed in the early 70s

Pro-80s Arguments:

1. Really helped begin the New Wave rush of the early 80s
2. "Whip It" most popular song and is acknowledged as VERY 80s
3. Even their 70s stuff was quite synth-loaded

Post away!

Subject: Re: Are Devo Not Men? (Or Eighties)

Written By: woops on 01/26/05 at 12:55 am

IMO, they're an '80's band (or performance artists)' since they did brgin the new wave trend and were quite unique than what was mainstream in the 1970's.  Not to forget they're one of the pioneers of music video, which wasn't popular until the '80's.  8)

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/26/05 at 12:57 am

BTW does anybody know when "Whip It" was recorded?  Was it 1979?

Written By: karen on 01/26/05 at 4:49 am

BTW does anybody know when "Whip It" was recorded?  Was it 1979?

According to this site it was 1980

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.lasso?id=722

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/26/05 at 10:22 am

Tough call, they where formed in the 70's, but yet their biggest hit "Whip It" came out during the 80's.

I would have to say 80's.

Written By: McDonald on 01/26/05 at 11:39 am

I think it a pretty iffy question. A lot of the New Wave(ish) bands like Talking Heads, Devo, Echo and the Bunnymen, Blondie, etc... all had their start (and some of their best work) in the late seventies, but seemed to have left their impact on the eighties. So I guess they were the transition between the two decades (and what an amazing way to transit). I tend to think of them all, including Devo, as 80s.

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/26/05 at 11:47 am

I think it a pretty iffy question. A lot of the New Wave(ish) bands like Talking Heads, Devo, Echo and the Bunnymen, Blondie, etc... all had their start (and some of their best work) in the late seventies, but seemed to have left their impact on the eighties. So I guess they were the transition between the two decades (and what an amazing way to transit). I tend to think of them all, including Devo, as 80s.

I'd agree.  They're 80s, but early 80s.  Out of that stuff, the only stuff that seemed to outlive 1985 was Synth-Pop, which sustained DM's "Violator" even in 1990, probably because dance music was popular in the late 80s and early 1990s.  Other aspects of New Wave morphed into things totally different, like Nine Inch Nails sorta stuff.

Written By: Howard on 01/26/05 at 4:41 pm

I'd say The 80's. ;)

Howard

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/27/05 at 9:26 am

Devo wasn't one of my favorite bands in the 80s. I liked some of their songs, and "Whip It" was a classic, but I got ticked off by the robotic sounding voice of Mark Mothersbaugh.

Written By: bj26 on 01/27/05 at 10:32 am

I remember seeing the video back when it just aired on MTV, Are we not men, We are Devo - I thought they were idiots :P

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/27/05 at 1:52 pm

One of my faves is "Cold War".  VERY 80s.  I know, "Are We Not Men?" and "Oh No! It's Devo" are almost self-insulting.  And those flowerpots?  That's  80s style for you  :D

Written By: Howard on 01/27/05 at 2:16 pm

I remember seeing the video back when it just aired on MTV, Are we not men, We are Devo - I thought they were idiots :P

I wonder what the song Whip It was about? ;D

Howard

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/27/05 at 2:37 pm

I wonder what the song Whip It was about?

Howard

Well, from what I heard, Howard, the guys in Devo wanted to write it after the style of something (can't remember what, it was very obscure).  But when it came out people thought it was about beating off, so Devo just embraced the idea.  

Now "Turning Japanese", another New Wave hit from 1980, WAS about spanking the monkey  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/27/05 at 2:43 pm

I wonder what the song Whip It was about?

Howard

Well, from what I heard, Howard, the guys in Devo wanted to write it after the style of something (can't remember what, it was very obscure).  But when it came out people thought it was about beating off, so Devo just embraced the idea.  

Now "Turning Japanese", another New Wave hit from 1980, WAS about spanking the monkey  ;D

You know,I kinda thought Turning Japanese was about actually turning japanese by accident. ;D

Howard

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/27/05 at 4:06 pm

You know,I kinda thought Turning Japanese was about actually turning japanese by accident.

Howard

LOL!  Now I'm no racist, but I find corrupt pleasure out of making Asian eyes while singing that song.  :D  Do they do that in the vid for it?

Written By: Howard on 01/27/05 at 4:19 pm

You know,I kinda thought Turning Japanese was about actually turning japanese by accident.

Howard

LOL!  Now I'm no racist, but I find corrupt pleasure out of making Asian eyes while singing that song.   :D  Do they do that in the vid for it?

I don't know.I haven't seen the video in years.

Howard

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/27/05 at 4:36 pm

I don't know.I haven't seen the video in years.

Howard

I wasn't around then, but I still find it odd that was 1/4 of a frickin' CENTURY ago. 

Check for new replies or respond here...