inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My Classification of New Wave

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/27/05 at 11:18 pm

IMO "New Wave" is really a pretty meaningless term.  Even Wham! caledl themselves New Wave.

Here's what I think you need to meet to be New Wave:

If before 1984 you have to be either Punk Rock or Synth.
If after 1983 you must be at least partly Synth-Pop, or else you're just Alternative (Pixies, Sonic Youth, etc)
Any alt rock before 1971 can NEVER be New Wave.
Any synth after 1993 can also not be New Wave (i.e. The Killers, Cake, Nine Inch Nails)
You can't be too mainstream style

Genres:

Punk:
Talking Heads
Dead Kennedys
Early Devo
B-52s
Go-Go's

New Romantic:
A Flock of Seagulls
Talk Talk
Duran Duran

Synth-Pop:
80s Depeche Mode
Later Devo
a-ha
Johnny Hates Jazz

Dance:
New Order
Pet Shop Boys
DM - Violator

Non-New Wave:
Pat Benatar
Bangles
Culture Club
Wham!

Note I only named a few bands of each genre. But that's how I try to define each side.

Subject: Re: My Classification of New Wave

Written By: sputnikcorp on 01/28/05 at 7:39 am

you forgot goth, which started in 1979 with bands like joy division, bauhaus, siouxsie and the banshees, the cure and sisters of mercy.

and don't forget the inspirations of new wave like david bowie, marc bolan, the velvet underground, iggy pop, kraftwerk, roxy music and brian eno.

Written By: Wezza on 01/28/05 at 9:58 am

you forgot goth, which started in 1979 with bands like joy division, bauhaus, siouxsie and the banshees, the cure and sisters of mercy.

and don't forget the inspirations of new wave like david bowie, marc bolan, the velvet underground, iggy pop, kraftwerk, roxy music and brian eno.

Joy Division? Goth?  ???
You sure about that?

Would of defined Siouxsie & co as Punk more than goth? Unless you have a sub cateogry of Punk.goth?  ;D

Kraftwerk for most people are THE grandads of Synth-age! They have been the influence of many 8 0's groups - including OMD.  :)

Written By: Allie Fox on 01/28/05 at 10:12 am

Two cents here:

Punk:
Talking Heads
Dead Kennedys
Early Devo
B-52s
Go-Go's

I think lumping groups by genre is a "not so good" idea.  Despite that, These bands are not "punk" unless you are referring to the "new wave" punk that included Blondie among others.  Devo might squeak into that genre.  Talking Heads, DK, and the B-52s are primarily college alternative.  The Go-Go's are "pop" anyway you look at it.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 01/28/05 at 11:28 am

Joy Division? Goth?  ???
You sure about that?

Would of defined Siouxsie & co as Punk more than goth? Unless you have a sub cateogry of Punk.goth?  ;D

Kraftwerk for most people are THE grandads of Synth-age! They have been the influence of many 8 0's groups - including OMD.  :)

joy division's manager was asked to describe the sound of the band during an interview. he said it was gothic, thus the term was coined....siouxsie and the banshess started as punk in the 70s but their sound became more defined as goth as the 80s wore on especially with siouxsie's side band, the creatures.

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/28/05 at 11:34 am

The Go-Go's are "pop" anyway you look at it.

Why?  Because they're female?  Although sometimes they are kinda poppy.  Saying they're pure pop though is like saying Evanescence are, though.

Written By: Wezza on 01/28/05 at 11:47 am

joy division's manager was asked to describe the sound of the band during an interview. he said it was gothic, thus the term was coined....siouxsie and the banshess started as punk in the 70s but their sound became more defined as goth as the 80s wore on especially with siouxsie's side band, the creatures.

Well, I never!  :o
You learn something new every day!  ;)  Personally, I would never of described JD as goth. Also, I see where you're coming from re Siouxsie and her band, 'the creatures' - but to me, she will always be punk. Guess it's because she always looked that way - despite the change in sound to her music.  :)

Written By: kairi747 on 01/28/05 at 1:47 pm

and don't forget that u2 was considreed part of the new wave when they first started.

Written By: kairi747 on 01/28/05 at 1:49 pm

The Go-Go's are "pop" anyway you look at it.

Why?  Because they're female?  Although sometimes they are kinda poppy.  Saying they're pure pop though is like saying Evanescence are, though.

i don't see the go-go's as punk in any way.  i'd have to agree that they've always been pop.

Written By: Howard on 01/28/05 at 2:32 pm

What was so New about New Wave? ???

Howard

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/28/05 at 2:57 pm

What was so New about New Wave?

Howard

Well, even in the hunk of Gouda that was the eighties I don't think "Old Wave" would of been hip  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/28/05 at 3:14 pm

What was so New about New Wave?

Howard

Well, even in the hunk of Gouda that was the eighties I don't think "Old Wave" would of been hip  ;D

I guess it was just a term used to describe the 80's.

Howard

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/28/05 at 3:27 pm

I haven't ever heard of anyone classifying the Talking Heads as punk!  

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/28/05 at 5:42 pm

Howard

Yeah after awhile that's pretty much all it meant (although Hair Metal music and fashion is almost never called New Wave). 

^As for the Heads, well to be honest I called them punk because Barnes and Noble did.  :-[  ;D  I think they sound like punk but their lyrics are too intelligent for true Punk.  They're almost pop, like in 86's "Wild Wild Life".
I'd just call them straight-out New Wave.

And on a side note, The Cars are the worst big New Wave band there was.  :P  Sorry to any fans.
Although "Magic" is a good song.  ;)

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/31/05 at 8:01 am

Howard

Yeah after awhile that's pretty much all it meant (although Hair Metal music and fashion is almost never called New Wave). 

^As for the Heads, well to be honest I called them punk because Barnes and Noble did.  :-[  ;D  I think they sound like punk but their lyrics are too intelligent for true Punk.  They're almost pop, like in 86's "Wild Wild Life".
I'd just call them straight-out New Wave.

And on a side note, The Cars are the worst big New Wave band there was.  :P  Sorry to any fans.
Although "Magic" is a good song.  ;)
Oh boy, Fullhousefan, I have just the opposite opinion.  The Talking Heads are actually more new wave and don't even sound close to "true punk" and The Cars were brilliant but "Magic" was their worst effort!

Written By: McDonald on 01/31/05 at 11:16 am

The Cars were excellent, but in the true sense of the word. They excelled. A lot of their songs I can't bear to hear anymore because they are so overplayed, but there are a few gems I cling to. Like "Dangerous Type," and "Who's Gonna Drive You Home."

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/31/05 at 11:33 am

The Cars were excellent, but in the true sense of the word. They excelled. A lot of their songs I can't bear to hear anymore because they are so overplayed, but there are a few gems I cling to. Like "Dangerous Type," and "Who's Gonna Drive You Home."
Mc Donald, "Dangerous Type" is my absolute favorite by the Cars!

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 01/19/06 at 1:58 pm

;D Don't forget the Synth pop duo Ebn-Ozn

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 01/20/06 at 12:40 pm

I've often seen INXS classified as New Wave. I would classify them as "rock" becoming more "pop" as they became more popular. "New Wave" is a rather loose classification at the best of times.

Check for new replies or respond here...