inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best 80's Artist Battle Michael Jackson vs Journey/Steve Perry

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/31/05 at 10:44 am

Different kind of music to be sure..."Pop" vs "Rock"....one of the greatest dancers "Jackson" vs one of the greatest voices to ever carry a tune..."Steve Perry"
Jackson had "Thriller" which held Journey's "Frontiers" LP at #2 for months in 1983. On "Pop" stations both were quite successful....while on "Rock and Roll" stations Jackson didn't exist ;) .Here's the 80's hits for both.

Jackson                                                                                    Journey/Steve Perry
1982                                                                                        1980
1. Beat It (Featuring Eddie Van Halen!)                                  1. Any Way You Want It
2. Billie Jean                                                                      2. Wheel In The Sky
3. Thriller                                                                          3. Lovin, Touchin, Squeezin
4. PYT (Pretty Young Thing)...hmmm ???                      4. Lights
5. The GIRL Is Mine...with Paul McCartney Before                5. The Party's Over
Jackson stabbed him and the Beatles in the back >:(
          6. Walks Like A Lady
6. Human Nature                                                                7. Don't Stop Believin
7. Wanna Be Startin' Something                                          8. Stone In Love
                                                                                      9. Who's Crying Now
  1987                                                                          10. Still They Ride
8.  Bad                                                                            11. Faithfully
9. The Way You Make Me Feel                                            12. After The Fall
10. Man In The Mirror                                                        13. Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)
11. Smooth Criminal                                                          14. Send Her My Love
12. Dirty Diana                                                                  15. Chain Reaction
                                                                                            1984
                                                                                      16. Oh Sherrie
                                                                                      17. Foolish Heart
                                                                                      18. Strung Out
                                                                                      19. Only The Young
                                                                                          1986

20. Girl Can't Help It

==============================================================

Subject: Re: Best 80's Artist Battle Michael Jackson vs Journey/Steve Perry

Written By: ktelqueen on 01/31/05 at 10:51 am

both  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/31/05 at 11:15 am

Journey for sure!  8)

Written By: ktelqueen on 01/31/05 at 11:36 am

so i'm kicking myself over Michael Jackson vs Journey/Steve Perry...OF COURSE i prefer Journey/Steve Perry although i enjoyed Michael Jackson's early stuff..drats..i'm awake now and shaking my head  ::) ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/31/05 at 11:41 am

so i'm kicking myself over Michael Jackson vs Journey/Steve Perry...OF COURSE i prefer Journey/Steve Perry although i enjoyed Michael Jackson's early stuff..drats..i'm awake now and shaking my head  ::) ;D
Hey...we all make mistakes and you rectified yours, Maria ;)

Written By: ktelqueen on 01/31/05 at 11:41 am

Hey...we all make mistakes and you rectified yours, Maria ;)

;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/31/05 at 12:02 pm

Mark, only you would create a thread like this!  :D How can I choose? I like both. Michael put a stamp on music in the 80s and Steve Perry/Journey also kicked ass!

Am I the only one who loves "Oh Sherrie"?

Tanya

Written By: GoldWickedMOSpit on 01/31/05 at 4:10 pm

Journey!

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 01/31/05 at 4:11 pm

I like both

Written By: woops on 01/31/05 at 4:14 pm

I chose neither... (I like MJ, but only the "Thriller" album, 4 songs from "Bad", and 2 from his 1991 album "Dangerous...not to mention a couple from the Jackson 5 from the 1970's)

Journey... never liked them...Yeah, I'm from the "Journey Sucks" generation, but I have listened to their popular songs and never gotten into them :P

I would mention some of my faves, but I like to keep it to myself... 

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 01/31/05 at 4:27 pm

I like Jacko's music better, but that's just because is despise Journey.  I'd think Steve Perry a nicer guy, because Jackson is a weird, dysfunction jerk. 

On a side note, I hope he spends the rest of his life in jail if found guilty.  >:(

Written By: Howard on 01/31/05 at 4:36 pm

Michael Jackson

Howard

Written By: camaro on 01/31/05 at 4:45 pm

Journey. IMO, Michael Jackson has always been a weirdo.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/31/05 at 5:24 pm

I chose neither... (I like MJ, but only the "Thriller" album, 4 songs from "Bad", and 2 from his 1991 album "Dangerous...not to mention a couple from the Jackson 5 from the 1970's)

Journey... never liked them...Yeah, I'm from the "Journey Sucks" generation, but I have listened to their popular songs and never gotten into them :P

Never getting into thier stuff, I can respect that. Saying thier was a whole "Journey Sucks" generation...hmm, not aware of that ???

Written By: woops on 01/31/05 at 5:34 pm

Never getting into thier stuff, I can respect that. Saying thier was a whole "Journey Sucks" generation...hmm, not aware of that ???

In the mid 1990's, many bands from 1980's were considered "uncool" or a joke.

A perfect example would be Beavis & Butt-Head (1993 to 1997) , when they would make commentaries on music videos that were either cool or suck and "MTV 25 Lame" (1999).

Yes, there was a time I even thought Deborah Gibson 'sucked', until I started listening to her material.  :)

The same for Bon Jovi, Paula Abdul, Poison, and other bands...

Personally, I have always liked newwave & alterntive since 1994.  8)

Written By: stingr22 on 01/31/05 at 6:52 pm

No question:  Steve Perry

In my opinion, he has the best voice in the history of rock n' roll!  8)

Written By: woops on 01/31/05 at 6:59 pm

I actually like Michael Jackson, but not that much...   ::)  :P

Though I don't like  "PYT (Pretty Young Thing)" ... Which should've been banned from my local old school R&B station...

Despite the fact I usually don't care about the personal lives of celebrities.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/31/05 at 7:03 pm

In the mid 1990's, many bands from 1980's were considered "uncool" or a joke.

A perfect example would be Beavis & Butt-Head (1993 to 1997) , when they would make commentaries on music videos that were either cool or suck and "MTV 25 Lame" (1999).

Yes, there was a time I even thought Deborah Gibson 'sucked', until I started listening to her material.  :)

The same for Bon Jovi, Paula Abdul, Poison, and other bands...

Personally, I have always liked newwave & alterntive since 1994.  8)

I guess I was fortunate in that my kids..who were all  born between 1982 and 1992, and thier friends...loved Journey :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/03/05 at 10:13 pm

*bump*

Written By: woops on 02/03/05 at 11:31 pm

I still say neither, but I select Deborah (Debbie) Gibson  8)  :-* 

(The fact that she's not that famous anymore & MJ is, mostly for his criminal charges, still baffles me...)

Written By: eightiesfan on 02/04/05 at 7:33 am

Journey - I just like their music better.

Written By: the OlLine Rebel on 02/04/05 at 3:06 pm

I like both very much (including Perry by himself which some of those hits are), but sorry, Jackson was an icon.  As much of a depraved loon as he clearly is (and I suspected in Thriller days), he had incredible talent and people appreciated it.  So did I.

If Jackson had only started w/the "Bad" album, I would vote for Journey.  He went "bad" mostly from then on, and became increasingly inconsistent.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/04/05 at 6:18 pm

Am I the only one who loves "Oh Sherrie"?

Nope, I loved the song.  I even had the album, the record not cassette or cd.

As for the poll, no contest....Journey all they way.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 02/04/05 at 11:24 pm

Michael Jackson

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/05/05 at 12:27 pm

I'll keep the voting open for a while....for the newbies. Even though this is a landslide for Journey 8)

Written By: fragswife on 02/05/05 at 12:32 pm

Keep it open for newbie's and slackers like me...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/05/05 at 12:34 pm

Keep it open for newbie's and slackers like me...

Lisa!  You are NOT a slacker :) Who'd you vote for?

Written By: fragswife on 02/05/05 at 12:35 pm

Lisa! You are NOT a slacker :) Who'd you vote for?

(((giggle)))  not only am I a slacker, I'm forgetful!  :-[

I voted for Journey (Steve Perry) 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/05/05 at 12:43 pm

(((giggle)))  not only am I a slacker, I'm forgetful!  :-And now I like you even MORE  :)

Written By: AchtungBaby on 02/05/05 at 2:35 pm

Journey all the way. 

Ever since Michael stabbed Paul McCartney and the Beatles in the back, I cannot stand him.  >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/09/05 at 1:26 pm

Journey all the way. 

Ever since Michael stabbed Paul McCartney and the Beatles in the back, I cannot stand him.   >:(
Now THAT is what I'm talkin' about ;)

Voting will close by weeks end :)

Written By: Lovey on 03/20/05 at 12:15 pm

I vote for Journey/Steve Perry!!!  .....  No doubt about it  .....  I'm still a huge fan   :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/20/05 at 3:32 pm

I vote for Journey/Steve Perry!!!  .....  No doubt about it  .....  I'm still a huge fan  :)
Looks like we have a winner. A word I would NEVER associate with Michael "Flit Boy" Jackson! Thanks to ALL who voted...even the Mike fans ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...