inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did 80s PC rules end and sex, language, violence reach our living room?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/01/05 at 8:03 pm

It seems to me it was about 1992...

Subject: Re: When did 80s PC rules end and sex, language, violence reach our living room?

Written By: woops on 02/01/05 at 8:10 pm

Classic cartoons & movies were edited in the '80's like the now defunct "Bugs Bunny/Tweety Show" on ABC

Mostly scenes that are politically incorrect (Which I can understand)  & dumb violence that could be seen on several action cartoons.

Subject: Re: When did 80s PC rules end and sex, language, violence reach our living room?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/01/05 at 8:13 pm

Classic cartoons & movies were edited in the '80's like the now defunct "Bugs Bunny/Tweety Show" on ABC

Mostly scenes that are politically incorrect (Which I can understand)  & dumb violence that could be seen on several action cartoons.

Well in the sense of stuff that might offend a few people in some town in Alaska today is very pussy about that stuff, but when could you be half naked, make crude comments, and turn people into heaps of gore on TV?
(I know you have been able to almost forever in movies)

-FHF

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/01/05 at 9:46 pm

For me, I think it was 1989, all though the FFC have always pretty much been anal as far I am concern.  ::)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/01/05 at 10:36 pm

For me, I think it was 1989, all though the FFC have always pretty much been anal as far I am concern. 

True.  Yeah 1989 is also a drop-off point.  It was really the early 90s in general that changed it.  But could you show something like "South Park" or "Drawn Together" back in the early 90s?  Madonna's video "Justify My Love" was banned in 1991 and although I haven't seen it, I've heard  there's vids on MTV more explicit and nobody cares.  Even "Beavis and Butthead" wasn't that controversial.  I mean dick and fart jokes ruled in the 80s.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 02/02/05 at 12:01 am

^Everything you are mentioning is cable TV programming, so there are different standards.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/02/05 at 12:32 am

^Everything you are mentioning is cable TV programming, so there are different standards.

I'm talking cable, not HBO and the like.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/05 at 4:47 pm

I'm guessing it was the late 80's.Then the internet happened 5-6 years later and everything changed.

Howard

Written By: Winston Smith on 04/03/05 at 11:48 pm

Find out when Matthew Broderick hosted SNL in the late 80s.  There's a sketch with a song in it that says "penis" several dozen times, and towards the end someone comments on the relaxing of the FCC rules.

The lyrics to the song, by the way, are something like

"Penis, penis, penis, penis, penis, penis song,
Penis, penis, penis, penis, penis all day long . . ."

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/04/05 at 5:02 am

Politically corect.....I didn't even hear that beloathed term before 1992. I believe that there were certain songs and TV shows from the 80s, that would be labelled politically incorrect these days. I am particularly thinking of an episode of Hill Street Blues, where a poor old lady comes to the police station, reporting her darling pussycat kidnapped. By the end of the episode, the cops find the cats collar out the back of an Asian restaraunt, amongst other cats in cramped cages.
These days, it seems that the public will tollerate almost any ammount of sex, violence or language, before they tollerate a racial slur.

Written By: Xer on 04/04/05 at 7:27 am

I've noticed that in the early to mid 90's new shows like Ellen, Roseanne, and Will and Grace talked about subjects that were joked about in the past and brought them out in the open.  When I go to rent older movies I've noticed what was rated R in the 80's in now considered PG or PG-13. :D

Written By: DevoRule on 04/04/05 at 8:46 pm

I  see three jump-off points, come to think of it:

1989: Cops comes out. Worse than before, but still more like 80s than today.
1992: Rodney King beatings, Cosby Show ends.  By '95 things were almost like now.
1997: South Park premieres, which changes thing for itself alone.

BTW, I was Full_House_Fan.  I've been gone a while.

Check for new replies or respond here...