inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does Ninja Turtles count as eighties?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/04/05 at 11:11 pm

Subject: Re: Does Ninja Turtles count as eighties?

Written By: woops on 02/04/05 at 11:19 pm

Yes, but mostly as a kid fad.

It started out as a comic book in the early '80's then a popular cartoon in 1987 and became popular until somewhere in 1991.

http://www.toonopedia.com/turtles.htm

The comic book actually came out in 1984.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/04/05 at 11:25 pm

It started out as a comic book in the early '80's then a popular cartoon in 1987 and became popular until somewhere in 1991.

I was into it in 1996.  Am I the exception rather than the rule?

Written By: woops on 02/04/05 at 11:36 pm

I was into it in 1996.  Am I the exception rather than the rule?

No. The cartoon actually lasted until the mid 1990's and even attempted a comeback as a live action show, which failed. It recently revived and I don't know if it's popular. I think Vanilla Ice is the blame for the decline of the popularity of the Ninja Turtles since he appeared in one of the two movies.

It's like Pokemon, it's still around, but was more popular during the end of the 1990's/early 2000's.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/04/05 at 11:40 pm

No. The cartoon actually lasted until the mid 1990's and even attempted a comeback as a live action show, which failed. It recently revived and I don't know if it's popular. I think Vanilla Ice is the blame for the decline of the popularity of the Ninja Turtles since he appeared in one of the two movies.

It's like Pokemon, it's still around, but was more popular during the end of the 1990's/early 2000's.

Vanilla was the second one, right?  I don't recall him being in the first from 1990.  That guy was corny  ;D

Did the New Kids appear in any of the movies? They were still around in 1990 and 91, right? (although by late 90-early 91 they were just a joke, right?)  Actually they were a joke from the start and I think are like The "V to the T to the Vanilla Ice poss-e". White preppie cheeseball kids tryin' to be "from the street".  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: woops on 02/05/05 at 3:07 am

He did appear in the second movie.  :P Fortunately, the New Kids never appeared in the films and were washed up by 1991.  :)  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/05/05 at 10:08 pm

The comic book come out in 1984, the original cartoon in 1987, as for the new version, it's doing pretty good right now.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/06/05 at 12:10 am

He did appear in the second movie.    Fortunately, the New Kids never appeared in the films and were washed up by 1991.   

When did the New Kids stop being popular?  "Step by Step" sold well, but the New Kids never really had any respect from men and women older than 13  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/06/05 at 10:31 am

I personally blamed the New Kids cartoon!  It killed their career, just like Hammerman killed MC Hammer's!

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 02/06/05 at 11:23 am

I thought of it as 80s.  Just because you grew up with it in the 90s doesn't make it less 80s.  The concept and slang used on TMNT is very 80s.

Written By: Hairspray on 02/06/05 at 1:43 pm

They're originally 80's. Their still being popular in the 90's and revamped popularity in the 2000's will never change that. :)

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/07/06 at 12:18 am

I thought of it as 80s.  Just because you grew up with it in the 90s doesn't make it less 80s.  The concept and slang used on TMNT is very 80s.

I agree, it was rooted into the 80's until about the mid 90's when they gave the show a more gritter 90's look. The biggest change was April O'Neil.

Written By: Classie83 on 06/09/06 at 11:12 pm

oh yeah, definitely!..".when the evil shredder attacks".....you know the rest...

Check for new replies or respond here...