inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How to play 80's guitar

Written By: Ray on 02/07/05 at 8:33 pm

Hey,
I'm trying to play guitar in an 80's medley (mostly of new wave-y stuff) and was wondering how to make it sound like it does on the songs.  The songs in the medley are:
Duran Duran - Hungry Like the Wolf
Styx - Mr Roboto
DEVO - Whip It
Michael Jackson - Beat It
Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round
Toni Basil - Hey Mickey

Does anyone have any general techniques or ways to set my amp that would help?  Thanks!

Subject: Re: How to play 80's guitar

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/07/05 at 8:40 pm

Hey,
I'm trying to play guitar in an 80's medley (mostly of new wave-y stuff) and was wondering how to make it sound like it does on the songs. The songs in the medley are:
Duran Duran - Hungry Like the Wolf
Styx - Mr Roboto
DEVO - Whip It
Michael Jackson - Beat It
Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round
Toni Basil - Hey Mickey

Does anyone have any general techniques or ways to set my amp that would help? Thanks!

Uh, I don't know how much you could do with guitar.  Those songs (most of them) are mostly synthesizer (keyboard, cheeseboard  ;D, drum machines, etc).  But you probably could replicate them somewhat.

Written By: Rahvyn on 02/07/05 at 11:17 pm

That and add a lot of reverb  8)

Written By: Class of 84 on 02/09/05 at 6:16 pm

Unless you have a Guitar and amp that costs a fortune, just crank up the distortion, volume and play your favorite heavy metal.

You could probably find the guitar score for "beat it" in some book somewhere. Check your library system and intenet web sites for sheet music. I recently found the rock scores to some Bon Jovi songs I am learning to play.  8)

Written By: AL-B on 02/10/05 at 4:07 pm

What kind of equipment do you have? I have a Fender Deluxe 90, and when I set the effects knob to "Flange" that seems to have kind of an 80's sound.
    Most of the 80's hair bands used guitars made by Ibanez or Jackson...I'm not sure what kind of amps they used, maybe Marshalls.

Check for new replies or respond here...