inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remember those old "Mac Tonight" ads?

Written By: Czar Matthew on 02/08/05 at 10:39 am

I don't know why, but those "Mac Tonight" ads for McDonalds always made it look so much classier than it really was. I mean, you have a guy with a Moon for a head singing a rendition of mack the knife on a piano, and it just sounds like a fancy dinner place. I'd feel pretty dumb going there all dressed up and having children running around and teens screwing up my order. Not so classy.
Matt

www.angelfire.com/ns2/czarmatthew

Subject: Re: Remember those old "Mac Tonight" ads?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/08/05 at 11:05 am

The whole moon for a head was kind of creepy.  ::)  ;D

http://www.toymuseum.com/inside/c6/3265071.gif

Written By: nally on 02/08/05 at 1:29 pm

As a matter of fact I do remember those commercials. ::) I even got a Happy Meal toy once with the mascot; the toy was a miniature airplane with him driving it. I have it packed away somewhere.

Written By: Howard on 02/08/05 at 4:48 pm

The cresent moon was singing that Bobby Darin song "Mac Tonight" on the piano. ;D

Howard

Written By: jiminy on 02/08/05 at 5:08 pm

How about the new Burger King commercial with the plastic king? dress him in leather and he could be a member of the village people

Written By: Howard on 02/08/05 at 5:51 pm

How about the new Burger King commercial with the plastic king? dress him in leather and he could be a member of the village people

I agree jiminy.that was a dumb ad. ::)

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/08/05 at 9:54 pm

The cresent moon was singing that Bobby Darin song "Mac Tonight" on the piano. ;D

Howard

Mack The Knife is one of my favorite songs.  :)

Written By: nally on 02/09/05 at 10:45 am

I did some googling last night to see if I could find any other sites that talked about these commercials, and I found one that had the lyrics to the commercial:

When the clock strikes Half past six, babe,
Time to head for Golden Arch.
It's a good time For a great-taste
Dinner at McDonalds
It's Mac Tonight!

I think those ads ran during 1987.

Written By: eightiesfan on 02/09/05 at 11:11 am

I think McDonald's was forced to stop airing those ads because Bobby Darin's son threatened to sue them.

Written By: Howard on 02/09/05 at 4:36 pm

I think McDonald's was forced to stop airing those ads because Bobby Darin's son threatened to sue them.

why? ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 02/09/05 at 4:37 pm

http://www.toymuseum.com/inside/c6/3265071.gif

creepy. :P

Howard

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/07/06 at 12:28 am

Finally someone brings this up! I remember being 10\11 and in a barber's chair in Lansing, Michigan when I first saw one. I was both creeped and mesmerized by this weird commerical. I could tell when a Mac's commerical would come on because it would be eerially silent for about a second. I remember one commercial where he was in a pond or something at night and doing his piano act. There was a big marsh behind the church we went to and I would go there while my parents were yacking after service. Wednesday nights I remeber going back there and being creeped out because I half expected for him to appear. At least I didn't run into "the King". :o I've never seen a commerical series like that before or after. It's hard to explain it to someone who's never seen one on the Television before. However the Burger King commericals are a slight taste of it. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/07/06 at 12:30 am

I had one of the Happy Meal toys from that, but of course, it's long gone now.

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/06 at 1:58 am

I remember those Mac Tonight ads.  Had completely forgotten all about them until I saw this thread.  Thanks for the memories 8)

Written By: beebeefox on 06/08/06 at 8:45 am

i remember those ads..
i had an iron on that we got from mcdonalds that i put ona tshirt and wore all the time...

Written By: nally on 06/08/06 at 1:19 pm

I had one of the Happy Meal toys from that, but of course, it's long gone now.

I still have all my Happy Meal toys (including the Mac Tonight one), but they're packed away. I intend to give 'em to my kids when I have some, and when they're old enough to play with small things.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/08/06 at 10:47 pm

I think I'm suppressing the memory. I hated those schmaltzy ones! I like to hit the drive-thru for a heart-attack-in-a-bag as much as then next guy, but I can't see my way to Romancing the Ronald!

http://www.qualityoflife.org/ronald/ronaldandbirdie.jpg

Written By: Watcher29 on 06/09/06 at 9:25 am

My tummy has decided I'm OK again after I stopped eating there.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/06 at 11:30 am

My tummy has decided I'm OK again after I stopped eating there.

McD's still ain't as bad as KFC!

Written By: Watcher29 on 06/09/06 at 1:55 pm

McD's still ain't as bad as KFC!

I may not be the smartest man in the world, but I do know my chicken. And whatever I got the last time I went to KFC, chicken it was not. I swear, I found the Goodyear logo stamped on the side of it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/09/06 at 2:34 pm

I still have all my Happy Meal toys (including the Mac Tonight one), but they're packed away. I intend to give 'em to my kids when I have some, and when they're old enough to play with small things.

I have some packed away, too. Who knows, maybe my Mac Tonight toy is still in one of those boxes. When we moved in 1994, I hung onto a lot of that stuff still as I was only 12, and some of those boxes have not been opened in 12 years - so goodness knows what's lurking in there!

Written By: Southern Image on 06/09/06 at 3:09 pm

I always thought of Jay Leno when they would show those ads.  ;D

Written By: nally on 06/10/06 at 12:04 am

I have some packed away, too. Who knows, maybe my Mac Tonight toy is still in one of those boxes. When we moved in 1994, I hung onto a lot of that stuff still as I was only 12, and some of those boxes have not been opened in 12 years - so goodness knows what's lurking in there!

I know exactly where mine is. If you sealed up your boxes real well, with lots of packing material inside and tape outside, then the stuff inside the boxes should be protected.

Back on topic... I remember seeing these ads as a youngster, as I said when this thread was first posted. :)

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 06/10/06 at 11:01 am

why? ;D

Howard

I'd assume he wasn't earning the proper royalties or something.  I can't say for sure.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/10/06 at 11:27 am

Oh, for a moment I thought this thread was about yours truly - a.k.a. 'The Mac'... :D

Check for new replies or respond here...