inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mojo Nixon "Debbie Gibson Is Pregnant With My Two Headed Love Child" (1989)

Written By: woops on 02/08/05 at 6:04 pm

Does anybody know the reason why that particular video was banned on MTV? Was it because it they felt that the video was too harsh and a "slap in a face" to Debbie Gibson or the video was extemely politically incorrect (for 1989)?

Have anybody seen that video? Was it funny, mean spirited, or just dumb.

Here's a screen shot: Oh, and Winona Ryder played Ded in the video   :)

http://www.urbanhonking.com/greatestband/archives/nonidebbie01.jpg
IMO, she looked more like "Alice" from the classic Tom Petty video 'Don't Come Around Here No More"

I actually heard the song. And it doesn't make much sense. Not to mention it wasn't funny like any of  'Weird Al' Yankovic's best work.   :P Nor Eminem's "Without Me" & "Just Lose It".

What's your opinion? Good or Bad.

Subject: Re: Mojo Nixon "Debbie Gibson Is Pregnant With My Two Headed Love Child" (1989)

Written By: Niko101 on 02/09/05 at 5:17 pm

I have that vid on one of my old tapes. Haven't seen it in years, but I remember it was hilarious. Thumbs up! Of course, I like Mojo Nixon in general. From what I recall, the song was a commentary on stupid headlines from tabloids. It seemed that too many people got hung up on the whole "Debbie G" aspect of the song. I don't remember the video being out of control in any way. Nothing that would warrant a "ban" IMO. Unless seeing Winona eating pickles in bed scares people too much? To this day, I can't figure that whole controversy out. I do remember that Mojo boycotted Mtv from that point on. I have a feeling it's one of those "you had to be there to think it's funny" kinda songs.

Subject: Re: Mojo Nixon "Debbie Gibson Is Pregnant With My Two Headed Love Child" (1989)

Written By: AL-B on 02/09/05 at 9:33 pm

Mojo Nixon rules! (I heard somewhere that Debbie Gibson actually thought that song was pretty funny.)

Written By: woops on 02/09/05 at 10:11 pm

Had the video been aired in other networks or is it now on VH1 Classic...  :)  :D

IMO, it shouldn't been banned since the song (probably) wasn't intended for harm.

I heard Neil Young's "This Note's For You" also got banned at one point, only for being anti corperate. Not because it poked fun at Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Spuds McKenzie, and the then popular Obsession commercials, which I found hilarious...  :D  ;D

Recently BET banned an Eminem video that poked fun of Michael Jackson, which I thought was dumb since he's been poked fun at a lot from Saturday Night Live, Mad TV, Scary Movie III, South Park, etc.  Not to mention the video was also funny.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 02/09/05 at 11:24 pm

They've played both the Mojo Nixon video and (of course) the Neil Young video here. I thought both were really funny! "Debbie Gibson Is Pregnant With My Two Headed Love Child" is also an hilarious song. As for Neil Young... the video for "This Note's For You" is great... and that's saying a lot for someone who can't stand him. ;D

Absolutely Vile

Check for new replies or respond here...