inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why are today Groups stealing and wreaking 80's music??

Written By: CoRy HaRt on 02/10/05 at 3:07 pm

It's so annoying, listing to the radio today and hearing bands taking great 80S songs and making them horrible and hard to Listin to, I don't understand why they can make up there own music, But they rather go back and take music and make the music sound bad when it really isn't, I don't understand it but you guys tell me what you think about it because its making me really angry!!! >:(

Subject: Re: Why are today Groups stealing and wreaking 80's music??

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/10/05 at 3:27 pm

so what. covering other people music has been going on since music was invented. i have no problems with it, some covers are even better than the original.

Written By: AL-B on 02/10/05 at 3:43 pm

It's so annoying, listing to the radio today and hearing bands taking great 80S songs and making them horrible and hard to Listin to, I don't understand why they can make up there own music, But they rather go back and take music and make the music sound bad when it really isn't, I don't understand it but you guys tell me what you think about it because its making me really angry!!! >:(
They're just doing the same thing as all of the 80's bands that ripped off 60's songs. And believe me, some of those 80's artists absolutely murdered some great 60's songs.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/05 at 3:57 pm

I guess that they're trying to make money off of it. ???

Howard

Written By: AL-B on 02/10/05 at 4:08 pm

I just wonder why anyone would want to remake some of these crappy 80's songs in the first place. ???

Written By: Howard on 02/10/05 at 4:10 pm

I just wonder why anyone would want to remake some of these crappy 80's songs in the first place. ???

I'm hoping they had asked the original artist or group who made the original song to remake the newer version.

Howard

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/10/05 at 4:13 pm

I'm hoping they had asked the original artist or group who made the original song to remake the newer version.

Howard

they pretty much have too, it's against the law to make money off of copyrighted material without the consent of the other party who owns that copyright.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/05 at 4:30 pm

they pretty much have too, it's against the law to make money off of copyrighted material without the consent of the other party who owns that copyright.

then you wind up being sued which is no fun at all.

Howard

Written By: Skippy on 02/10/05 at 8:09 pm

I just wonder why anyone would want to remake some of these crappy 80's songs in the first place.

The same reason advertisers rip 80's music in their commercials. More consumers relate to it.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/10/05 at 9:20 pm

I don't have a problem with it.  Sure it may suck (although Disturbed did "Shout" better than TFF did, although TFF did it great too).  I mean some of you want the eighties back but then when they do in some way you say "They ripped it off".  You can't have both!  Some 80s artists are too old or simply don't make music to come back.

I actually made a cover of "Whip It" by lifting a MIDI file off the net and singing the lyrics.  It sounds pretty good I guess, although it doesn't do Devo justice.  But still, the emo bands, even though they are crap, are simply paying the eighties respect when they cover songs.

The real "return" of the eighties sound, if there is one, would have to be bands like Franz Ferdinand, Keane, White Stripes, Modest Mouse, etc. that hit the scene last year.  They're like 2000s New Wave.  Some even use synths!  Numetal, the offspring of Punk, Hip Hop, Grunge, and Heavy Metal, is done making its move and is just part of rock now.  The 1999 time period for music is pretty dead now imo.

Written By: mr.smith s on 02/13/05 at 3:52 pm

so what. covering other people music has been going on since music was invented. i have no problems with it, some covers are even better than the original.

I agree Johnny Cash Especially has made some pretty awesome remakes - Hurt and Rusty Cage.

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 02/13/05 at 3:53 pm

i cant blivele Jay- z wanted to make a song out of the knight rider theme....i just started to cry

Written By: mr.smith s on 02/13/05 at 3:57 pm

I don't mind if the cover is the same lyrics and same structure.  But I do get a little upset about artists who create a beat or bassline that is just awesome and someone else uses it in there background music. 

I could start with so man bands doing that; Vanilla ice, basement jaxx and even the love cats bassline was ripped off by whats his name.

Postmodernity is crazy sometimes! sometimes you think unfair to the original artist

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 02/13/05 at 4:15 pm

i just heard on the radio a while ago that 2pac made the Mr.mister song, broken wings....i was like no way dude...than not cool...everyone thinks he made that orignal beat...IT WAS MR.MISTER!!!!

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/13/05 at 5:31 pm

i just heard on the radio a while ago that 2pac made the Mr.mister song, broken wings....i was like no way dude...than not cool...everyone thinks he made that orignal beat...IT WAS MR.MISTER!!!!

You know it's funny you said that ... my bro didn't think it WAS a ripoff ... he did the same with Bruce Hornsby and the Range's "That's Just the Way It Is".

I like Snoop and Dre better than Tupac.

Written By: mr.smith s on 02/13/05 at 8:46 pm

One of the most annoying covers that did well waas the 311 version of Cure "lovesong".  That song was so badly redone!

Written By: jackas on 02/14/05 at 12:18 am

Are you talking about sampling music or completely redoing a song?

I think sampling is kind of cool.  At least when I have to here one of those songs I can find something  I like about it.

Written By: Doc Brown on 02/14/05 at 12:31 am

At least the Ataris' cover of "The Boys Of Summer", did the original justice, I heard Don Henley himself enjoys their version. I hope we'll see a real comeback of 80's music when the MIAMI VICE movie is finally made, and hopefully Jan Hammer will be all over the soundtrack with new songs and classics!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: george78 on 02/14/05 at 9:16 am

I have no idea. I almost had a heart attack when I heard Eminem sampling Martika's "Toy Soldiers". To think that trash talking Eminem was a fan of hers. I love her version, as far as Eminem's..........no comment.

Written By: mr.smith s on 02/14/05 at 1:47 pm

whats everyone's views on Marilyn Mansons 80's remakes (Sweet Dreams, You spin me Right Round, Personal Jesus, ect.?)

Is he beating around the bush, or did he recreate them well?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/14/05 at 2:03 pm

whats everyone's views on Marilyn Mansons 80's remakes (Sweet Dreams, You spin me Right Round, Personal Jesus, ect.?)

Is he beating around the bush, or did he recreate them well?

i like them. a lot of the goth/industrial bands i'm into does 80s covers.

Written By: mr.smith s on 02/14/05 at 4:39 pm

i like them. a lot of the goth/industrial bands i'm into does 80s covers.

I can't say I'm into Goth/Industrial,  But i do like some NiN and some Marilyn Manson.  I think he knows what he is doing and is pretty smart. 

So what do you think of Aphex Twin?  I found their most recent work creepy.  I mean I heard some of the stuff they did in the late 80's and that felt so different

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/14/05 at 4:43 pm

i'm only a casual listener to aphex twin and techno/trance in general. i do like his work though. yes, it's very creepy, which i like.

Written By: alana on 02/16/05 at 6:42 pm

The Space Lady ruined Peter Schilling's massive hit Major Tom, her version was crap! She should have left his song alone and re-do a song that maybe I would have hated! Her version lost all of the charm and energy that Peter had put into that song and her vocals sound as though she droned out the whole song! She made Peter sound like the Duracell Energizer Bunny of New Wave! If you hate her version, listen to his version many times so you can get her voice out of your head!

Written By: krakboi on 02/17/05 at 12:03 am

There are a lot of really great acts out there right now influenced by 80s bands.  I am a big fan of the Briefs, Stellastar*, and the Futureheads to name a few.  All bands are influenced by other bands.  I don't see a problem with it.

Check for new replies or respond here...