inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How different was technology in the 80s?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/11/05 at 10:51 pm

I know you didn't have DVD (the 90s didn't even until 98ish).  Also the internet was very primitive and relatively unknown, cable and satellite communication and even home video was new, and video games were simple.  Was it like mid-20th tech or like a very primitive today technology?

Subject: Re: How different was technology in the 80s?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/12/05 at 12:27 am

I know you didn't have DVD (the 90s didn't even until 98ish).  Also the internet was very primitive and relatively unknown, cable and satellite communication and even home video was new, and video games were simple.  Was it like mid-20th tech or like a very primitive today technology?

Ah.... the internet, slow as molasses, you have to pay for the amount of time your on it, and the annoying grinding phone connection noise!  ::)  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/12/05 at 1:09 am

Cable was new and in it's infancy. The internet existed, but the world wide web as we know it now, did not exist. There were certain companies that hosted these buletin board services which I guess contained various information, but none of it was tied together like the internet is now. Of course DVD wasn't around, DVD has only been big for about 5-6 years. Cell phones were these huge clunky brick like objects. Video games were very basic, Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision were some big systems in the earlier 80s. Then in the mid 80s came NES and Master System. Computers were very basic of course, and used the big old 5 1/2 inch floppy disks. CD-Roms were not around yet, all computer programs were pretty much on floppy disks. I have an 80s computer from 1982 that a neighbor gave me 7 years ago along with a collection of those big floppys. They are quite a pain to use and just perform basic functions such as word processing, accounting, basic games. And you should know that digital cameras were definitely not around didn't appear till the late '90s, and camcorders were new technology. Audio CDs were new technology as well. That's about all I can think of right now.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/12/05 at 1:15 am

What about Laser Discs?  I also remember floppy discs, both big and the smaller ones that came out afterwards.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/12/05 at 1:18 am

Oh yea laserdiscs, I guess they were around in the 80s. I know I remember them in the 90s. Those big really expensive discs that looked like records. They never had many of them. There was like one little area where they had a few laserdiscs I remember in the movie store.

Written By: Biff on 02/12/05 at 2:53 am

We didn't have the jet backpacks, flying cars, hover skateboards, teleportation equipment, and all the other fancy futuristic stuff the people of your time have today in 2005.  No, back then we had nothing.  It was really barbaric back in the 80s.

OK seriously:

It was late 20th century technology.  Tech from the 80s and 90s up till about 1997 or so.  That's what it was.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/12/05 at 10:05 am

Oh yea laserdiscs, I guess they were around in the 80s. I know I remember them in the 90s. Those big really expensive discs that looked like records. They never had many of them. There was like one little area where they had a few laserdiscs I remember in the movie store.

They never really did catch on like VHS and DVD did, but managed out live BETA!

Check for new replies or respond here...