inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: why kids today refuse to listin to 80's music...

Written By: CoReY hARt on 02/12/05 at 5:45 pm

I don't understand it, Personally I'm 17 and i love 80S music but whenever i talk to Friends or people of my age they wouldn't be caught listing to 80S music, It doesn't make any sense to me because back in the 80S they had SO much talent, And yes there are bands still going like "U2" but i think today's music sounds like a bunch of untainted people just trying to make a living they have no heart in the music business and they defiantly don't belong there, Personally my dad got me into this music and since then i haven't listin to anything today, I just love the 80S and i think it had the best year for music, I think kids today don't know talent when they hear it they just want to be "cool" and it really doesn't matter to me i don't care what people think of me i like what i like and that's all, But you guys tell me if i steered in the right direction. ;)

Subject: Re: why kids today refuse to listin to 80's music...

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/12/05 at 6:07 pm

in the 80s i used to listen to a lot of 60s music like the beatles, the doors and jimi hendrix. my friends thought that was lame. i thought the music they were listening too was lame (my appreciation for 80s music came later, in the 90s)...i'm glad you discovered music from another era, the 80s were a great time for music. and don't be bothered what your friends think, your a non-conformist and it makes you cool.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/12/05 at 6:13 pm

I don't understand it, Personally I'm 17 and i love 80S music but whenever i talk to Friends or people of my age they wouldn't be caught listing to 80S music, It doesn't make any sense to me because back in the 80S they had SO much talent, And yes there are bands still going like "U2" but i think today's music sounds like a bunch of untainted people just trying to make a living they have no heart in the music business and they defiantly don't belong there, Personally my dad got me into this music and since then i haven't listin to anything today, I just love the 80S and i think it had the best year for music, I think kids today don't know talent when they hear it they just want to be "cool" and it really doesn't matter to me i don't care what people think of me i like what i like and that's all, But you guys tell me if i steered in the right direction. ;)

I love the 80s stuff too, dude  :)  Why they don't listen to it?  Well, as good as it is its a tad corny  :D

But I think a lot of it is the style and not so much the music.  After all a lot of new bands host an 80s sound, without 80s style.  Today's music IS very cheesy though, nobody seems to care yet though. 

MTV today makes 80s music with modern bands and styles and the teenyboppers eat it up.  So I think its mostly mentality.

Written By: CoReY hARt on 02/12/05 at 6:16 pm

why thank you man. :)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/12/05 at 6:19 pm

why thank you man. :)

You're welcome :) 

Does Corey Hart have anything good besides "Sunglasses at Night"? 

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/12/05 at 6:25 pm

I haven't really found this.. of course you get the goobers who will only listen to what's in the top 10 and refuse to belive that Usher and Nelly weren't always 'Da Bomb'  ::) However most of my friends will listen to all sorts of stuff.

When we get together and like play music.. we will do stuff from all over the shop.. 70's.. 80's... now.. whatever.

Depends if you get somebody who likes the actual music or just the pop culture i think.

Written By: CoReY hARt on 02/12/05 at 6:31 pm

Corey Hart has another great song called Never Surrender, I like it way better the Sunglasses At Night it was a huge hit for him in 1984 i believe, Its just a great song all together you should check it out!!!!

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/12/05 at 8:30 pm

Corey Hart has another great song called Never Surrender, I like it way better the Sunglasses At Night it was a huge hit for him in 1984 i believe, Its just a great song all together you should check it out!!!!

I'll rate it on my Launchcast, Corey Hart! :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/12/05 at 8:31 pm

It's one of my favorites.

Written By: whitewolf on 02/12/05 at 8:45 pm

Personally I think all of Corey Hart's songs were good, he was great. My daughter is 17 and she loves my music collection from the 80s. All of her friends listen to it too.

Written By: Bobby on 02/12/05 at 9:11 pm

Ah yes. I remember that song. Very good.

Kids today are only concerned with what's happening now because they will feel different and secluded from the rest of their cliq/group (same difference really) otherwise.

I am very different to my work group in terms of musical taste (it seems everybody loves Hip-hop). It doesn't worry me, I am a non-conformist of the purist kind - and, it seems, so are you.  :)

Written By: 80s Lady on 02/12/05 at 10:32 pm

Depends if you get somebody who likes the actual music or just the pop culture i think.

I think that's a pretty good observation.  Some kids are only interested in what their friends think is cool to listen to and some can think for themselves, appreciating the music, lyrics and history that the song in itself provides.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 02/13/05 at 6:28 am

Corey hart, I love the way  Corey hart sings. You've got great taste in music.

Written By: CoReY hARt on 02/13/05 at 9:15 am

wow, thank you guys for all your help and yeah i think its great that you guys are getting your kids into the 80's music im comming from the same direction, Because my dad got me into my 80's loving and i just think its awesome music just can't get enough of it!!! ;)

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 02/13/05 at 9:26 am

I don't think its dated at all. I a straight up new waver. the stuff is good, but radio is too afraid of independence.

Written By: Coowallsky on 02/13/05 at 9:32 am

I think early on in life children have both a "rebellious" streak and peer pressure to reject the music of their parents.  ( It doesn't help if the parents are trying to shove their music down the kid's throat).

I was lucky to have an older sister who's records influenced my likes/dislikes in the late 60's/early 70's.  Having said that, the late 70's to late 80's saw an awful lot of "assembly line" music made and rushed to the radio...sort of art for art's sake.  That's when my taste in music broadened and I started to listen to more of my parents music (jazz/Big Band/50's (Nat King Cole, Patti Page, etc).
Even before then, I was already a fan of Weather Report, Spyro Gyra, Jean-Luc Ponty, etc...but this cemented that.

Now I cringe every time someone turns the radio dial to a "classic rock" station.  I can only hear "Stairway To Heaven", "Light My Fire", "The Reflex", or "Lovin', Touchin, "Squeezin'" before I wretch.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/13/05 at 9:34 am

Because they're too busy listening to 60's and 70's music!!  Actualy all my boys listened to all my records that spanned from 1962-1991 :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/13/05 at 9:36 am

I notice that sometimes, classic rock stations do tend to play the same songs, over and over again.

Written By: CoReY hARt on 02/13/05 at 9:41 am

It's so true, radio station today make you sick of the song there just suppose to make people like the song, Not make people pissed of at it...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/13/05 at 9:51 am

Then again, alot of new songs get repeated over and over again. I am starting to think that record companies are "paying" radio stations to play certain songs over and over again, so that in return more records can be sold.  ::)

Written By: CoReY hARt on 02/13/05 at 10:04 am

Then again, alot of new songs get repeated over and over again. I am starting to think that record companies are "paying" radio stations to play certain songs over and over again, so that in return more records can be sold.   ::)

Yeah, that could be true in some case but, I would think in a way they could lose a lot of money to because people get pissed at radio station for playing a song to much, so babasically don't think many people buy albums today anyways just download limewire and get free music. :) ;) 8)

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/13/05 at 10:23 am

I think that's a pretty good observation.  Some kids are only interested in what their friends think is cool to listen to and some can think for themselves, appreciating the music, lyrics and history that the song in itself provides.

Exactamundo.

I have always found that the people who always insist on dressing the same as their friends, won't play any sports that aren't cool at the time (people are giving up playing Hockey because of the strike.. ha.. Idiots) etc.. none of them will listen to music that isn't 100% current and that their friends don't like.

When i was at school i was kind of on the egde of the in-crowd. I did stuff with them but not loads, they knew that if they were going to a bar then they should ask me along, they knew that if they were going to some club that just played things like Rap, Hip Hop and what these idiots insist on calling R&B then there was no point asking me.

I play in a band (were the best in the land, were big in both Chelsea and France ;)) We all listen to music from different times and pick bits and bobs here and there. Essentially all of us like Metal, Hard rock etc.. however i listen to a lot of New Wave stuff, Pete listens to some freaky stuff.. hell we have done stuff like Sunday Morning coming down because it is a fun song to play.

I already made the point but i will re-itterate it (typo?)

People from all generations will only listen to what is current at the time.. HOWEVER! those who really appreciate music... they listen forever.

Written By: CoReY hARt on 02/13/05 at 10:29 am

Exactamundo.

I have always found that the people who always insist on dressing the same as their friends, won't play any sports that aren't cool at the time (people are giving up playing Hockey because of the strike.. ha.. Idiots) etc.. none of them will listen to music that isn't 100% current and that their friends don't like.

When i was at school i was kind of on the egde of the in-crowd. I did stuff with them but not loads, they knew that if they were going to a bar then they should ask me along, they knew that if they were going to some club that just played things like Rap, Hip Hop and what these idiots insist on calling R&B then there was no point asking me.

I play in a band (were the best in the land, were big in both Chelsea and France ;)) We all listen to music from different times and pick bits and bobs here and there. Essentially all of us like Metal, Hard rock etc.. however i listen to a lot of New Wave stuff, Pete listens to some freaky stuff.. hell we have done stuff like Sunday Morning coming down because it is a fun song to play.

I already made the point but i will re-itterate it (typo?)

People from all generations will only listen to what is current at the time.. HOWEVER! those who really appreciate music... they listen forever.

Well said, buddy and i think your totally right kids today are very ignorant (me talking I'm one of those kids I'm only 17) but, I think they really are but at least I'm experiencing another decade and personally i hate the music today so the 80S is all i have...

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 02/13/05 at 12:47 pm

Why do kids today refuse to listen to 80's music?  The answer is simple, they are being kids and NO ONE can fault them for that.  10 years ago in 1995 when I was around 19 years old, I would have thought the same thing about 70s music, despite the fact that the 70s were in retro style at the time (and still is in many ways).  Kids will always want something current.  Every group of kids want what's going on right now, something current and cool for the moment.  Who the hell can fault children or teenagers for that?  We were all like that when we were kids.  Even though I'm an old geezer at age 29, and I still prefer to stay current.  It can take a toll on you to always listen to the 80s station....and I was there for the real thing! 

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 02/13/05 at 12:57 pm

I still think there's too much crap on now. I wanted to try something new so I started listening to New Wave in the 8th grade.

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 02/13/05 at 1:01 pm

Well said, buddy and i think your totally right kids today are very ignorant (me talking I'm one of those kids I'm only 17) but, I think they really are but at least I'm experiencing another decade and personally i hate the music today so the 80S is all i have...

So true. I'm a total alien in the average teen circle in school, but i'm hip in the unique and stand out crowd.

Written By: 80s Lady on 02/13/05 at 2:26 pm

So true. I'm a total alien in the average teen circle in school, but i'm hip in the unique and stand out crowd.

LOL!  Reminds me of a T-shirt my son wears from time to time:  "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same."

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 02/13/05 at 3:51 pm

i dunno about u guys but i think 80S are the best times ever for everyone including me....why with the violenc of Rap and Hip Hop...while;e we can have the smooth relaxation of Flock of Seagulls- i Ran?....i love the 80S...i wish the came back to today...like we have every club playing music like that...here in Miami its all about hip hop....which i think its crappy man...i heard of one in Montreal called Electric avenue...I'm going there soon.. ;)

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 02/13/05 at 4:06 pm

dude i feel your pain...dont worry listieng to music like the 80's show u have clas and u dont always to go on with everyone with the Rap Scence or Hip Hop always topping the Billborad charts...

Written By: AL-B on 02/13/05 at 4:46 pm

You know, on one hand I don't want to sound like I'm shooting you down but on the other hand, in a weird way I can completely identify with you. It's funny, but I was a teenager in the 80's and I hated most of the music back then. (I've actually warmed to a lot of it since then.) But I really liked 60's music, particularly the Beatles and CCR. And since most of the people my age were listening to the current music I felt a little out of place.  And what you said about today's music? That's almost exactly how I felt about 80's music when I was your age. Weird, huh?

Written By: CoReY hARt on 02/13/05 at 5:12 pm

You know, on one hand I don't want to sound like I'm shooting you down but on the other hand, in a weird way I can completely identify with you. It's funny, but I was a teenager in the 80's and I hated most of the music back then. (I've actually warmed to a lot of it since then.) But I really liked 60's music, particularly the Beatles and CCR. And since most of the people my age were listening to the current music I felt a little out of place.  And what you said about today's music? That's almost exactly how I felt about 80's music when I was your age. Weird, huh?

That is nuts, because we have basically the same background just different Ara's, Its kinda funny but also the 80S were way better then today's garbage you have to admit that i rather listin to the 70S or 60S then today's music, Because music artist have no heart or talent all there worried about is the money factor and its really sad :\'( no wonder i like the 80S, But also they have a lot of talentedand great artists back then to... :) ;) 8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/13/05 at 9:34 pm

I know I don't understand this ignorant negative attitude to 'oldies' music. I tried to convince my 13-yo sister of the merit of early Green Day when she used to hate them, but then American Idiot came out and now she loves them. I was a bit like that before (when I was like 13-14) until I discovered music.
I must say I'm not a big fan of 80s music (or any other aspect of the decade) - i mean some (well, most) of it is horrible. The 70s were the decade with the BEST music. Rock reached its zenith, and I'm not averse to classic 70s disco/pop.

Written By: alana on 02/17/05 at 11:21 pm

I listen to old European bands and singers from the NDW (Peter Schilling only!) and New Wave era (NDW is the German New Wave) and I listen only to British new wave groups! Because I like Robert Smith, I'm starting to think that some kids at my school think I'm weird or something. When I showed some kids in one of my classes a picture of Peter Schilling in 1983, they thought he was UGLY! I mean, he looks a hell of a lot better than those guys from Good Charlotte! Here's the link to the photo

http://hotelbirkenhof.de/geschicte/gaestebuch_damals/gaestebuecher_1974_1994/pages/1983_peter_schillling_autogramm_JPG.htm.  I think in this photo, he looks pretty damn hot!

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 02/18/05 at 4:57 pm

i dunno...seems like everyone likes rap now becuase....just everyone does....but i try hard to for people to just try to listen...instead they just make fun of me and say its "gay s**t"...i dunno but i decline that statement...its awesome...and so is 70's and 60's rock & roll...like the beatles

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/18/05 at 5:00 pm

i dunno...seems like everyone likes rap now becuase....just everyone does....but i try hard to for people to just try to listen...instead they just make fun of me and say its "gay s**t"...i dunno but i decline that statement...its awesome...and so is 70's and 60's rock & roll...like the beatles

That's because about 50% of teens like "what's hot" and not "what's good".  I'm not necessarily saying old music is what kids should turn to, but those guys are prejudice to anything not in the top 40.

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 02/18/05 at 5:05 pm

That's because about 50% of teens like "what's hot" and not "what's good".  I'm not necessarily saying old music is what kids should turn to, but those guys are prejudice to anything not in the top 40.

i dunno...this statement sounds pretty wired and just ridiclious....but i think music...can influence a individual to do good or bad...i mean u see kids these days "305 till i die" and "thug life" about blowing peoples heads off and not be scared....i might its jsut wack...and mosty rap and hip hop covers that...just look how many homicides have been since the 90's till today....then lok from the 80's and far back....i think these past 20 years allot has happend....and the X Factor in this is Music...

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/18/05 at 5:09 pm

i dunno...this statement sounds pretty wired and just ridiclious....but i think music...can influence a individual to do good or bad...i mean u see kids these days "305 till i die" and "thug life" about blowing peoples heads off and not be scared....i might its jsut wack...and mosty rap and hip hop covers that...just look how many homicides have been since the 90's till today....then lok from the 80's and far back....i think these past 20 years allot has happend....and the X Factor in this is Music...

I don't think crime has been any worse in the past 15-20 yrs. than it has ever been.  The 70s and 80s actually had huge crime rates, however killing kids wasn't as common then as it is now (although that may have more to do with information than actual actions). 

I blame the Internet largely.  I do think the fusion of information and entertainment is scary, but not because I think it makes crime more common ... more just because it's disturbing and makes kids wanna grow up fast.  yannow what I mean?

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 02/18/05 at 5:56 pm

I don't think crime has been any worse in the past 15-20 yrs. than it has ever been.  The 70s and 80s actually had huge crime rates, however killing kids wasn't as common then as it is now (although that may have more to do with information than actual actions). 

I blame the Internet largely.  I do think the fusion of information and entertainment is scary, but not because I think it makes crime more common ... more just because it's disturbing and makes kids wanna grow up fast.  yannow what I mean?

You sure about that? ???

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/18/05 at 6:06 pm

You sure about that?

No, Abercrombie, I'm not.  I'm no psychologist, but I don't really think anyone who listens to mainstream rap is gonna start shooting people because "50 cent told him to".  If they do they're probably dysfunctional already in the first place.

Drugs, however, I think rap might encourage those.  Although I think Gen Y, is pretty conservative and oftimes preppy.

Written By: Webstor on 02/18/05 at 8:55 pm

There was a time.....

When Music was about Music....and people just enjoed music because the songs were fun or had meaning to them.

The Buggles were'nt kidding when they sang "Video Killed the Radio Star". Because thats exactly what happened.

In the old days (Pre-1980)....you would be lucky if your favorite band made a TV appearance once a year on a late night show or variety show or whatever....

The 80's are a result of an entire group of performers, who now had to not only sound good, but look good too.  It was about "the look"
They were basically railroaded into doing these music videos because they knew that if they couldnt appeal to the new market, their careers might end.
Thats why so many of the 80's videos are cheesy and funny and most don't make sense.  They were all experiments since this was new to everyone. Personally thats why I like them.

Cut to present day:
Now its ALL about the look....people care what u LOOK like first, and what you SOUND like second.  This resulted in your present day "musicians".

Videos today are basically commercials......that include parties, scantily clad women, and all sorts of illegal activities going on in them.  You will never again see bands like Foreigner belting out "I wanna know what love is"...or Madness sing about "Our House"........because those don't make good videos.

So enjoy the 80's videos and music...embrace it....it was a much simpler time

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/18/05 at 9:01 pm

There was a time.....

When Music was about Music....and people just enjoed music because the songs were fun or had meaning to them.

The Buggles were'nt kidding when they sang "Video Killed the Radio Star". Because thats exactly what happened.

In the old days (Pre-1980)....you would be lucky if your favorite band made a TV appearance once a year on a late night show or variety show or whatever....

The 80's are a result of an entire group of performers, who now had to not only sound good, but look good too. It was about "the look"
They were basically railroaded into doing these music videos because they knew that if they couldnt appeal to the new market, their careers might end.
Thats why so many of the 80's videos are cheesy and funny and most don't make sense. They were all experiments since this was new to everyone. Personally thats why I like them.

Cut to present day:
Now its ALL about the look....people care what u LOOK like first, and what you SOUND like second. This resulted in your present day "musicians".

Videos today are basically commercials......that include parties, scantily clad women, and all sorts of illegal activities going on in them. You will never again see bands like Foreigner belting out "I wanna know what love is"...or Madness sing about "Our House"........because those don't make good videos.

So enjoy the 80's videos and music...embrace it....it was a much simpler time

What year was it more image than muzak?  I'd say 1997, although '95 and '96 were a musical void.  The early 90s had some shallow music too but it was fun and cheesy.

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 02/19/05 at 3:22 pm

What year was it more image than muzak?  I'd say 1997, although '95 and '96 were a musical void.  The early 90s had some shallow music too but it was fun and cheesy.

to chessy....80's music is mroe original and more soothing..and actually feel it...feel the music in ur veins and jsut start dacning

Written By: bendergoonie1987 on 02/19/05 at 7:17 pm

to chessy....80's music is mroe original and more soothing..and actually feel it...feel the music in ur veins and jsut start dacning

well said, KRQ. (also, i love your picture! billy idol is my idol...  ;) )
i agree entirely w/FHF. rap has had a real bad effect on our society and it's really true that people totally care about what you look like and how good your video is... the only solution i can think of is to get people loving the music again. there are really a LOT of people at my high school who love the style and music of the 80s. rap has gotten a lot less popular too, at least since it first got super popular.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/19/05 at 9:15 pm

well said, KRQ. (also, i love your picture! billy idol is my idol... ;) )
i agree entirely w/FHF. rap has had a real bad effect on our society and it's really true that people totally care about what you look like and how good your video is... the only solution i can think of is to get people loving the music again. there are really a LOT of people at my high school who love the style and music of the 80s. rap has gotten a lot less popular too, at least since it first got super popular.

Uh did ChuckyG help you out yet?  If not, well do you have multiple email adresses?  Well since you can't use 88 I suggest if you do have a spare adress use 87 and activate your account from that address.

But yes.  Gangsta Rap c. 1991 was often bad, but at least it was fresh and sometimes warranted (there really were a lot of crooked cops 13-17 yrs. ago).  And the other Old School was fun even if campy.  Since 1997 mainstream music has sucked.  Except for Rock.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/05 at 9:26 pm

I don't think its dated at all. I a straight up new waver. the stuff is good, but radio is too afraid of independence.

Radio is forbidden independence by the man!

I haven't found today's kids don't want to listen to '80s music, in fact, they are very curious about it.  A lot of kids in the '80s were curious about 60s music too.

Some kids are just not going to care for the music of the previous generation.

The funny thing was, I wanted to get as far away from the hippies I grew up with as I could.  That doesn't bode will for an appreciation of '60s music.  You know, my parents got into the counterculture and they had visceral reactions against Bing Crosby and Perry Como!  That was phony establishment plastic people whitebread chickensh*t music.
Whereas...I saw all the failures of the hippie movement first hand, and I had an acronym: LSD--
Let the Sixties Die!
:D
Later I got to dig the world of Frank Zappa,The Village Fugs, Motwn, Coltrane, and James Tenney.  That was all '60s music for sure, but you still can't get me to listen to Crosby, Stills, & Nash or Jefferson Airplane!

Written By: bendergoonie1987 on 02/20/05 at 11:12 pm

Uh did ChuckyG help you out yet?  If not, well do you have multiple email adresses?  Well since you can't use 88 I suggest if you do have a spare adress use 87 and activate your account from that address.

But yes.  Gangsta Rap c. 1991 was often bad, but at least it was fresh and sometimes warranted (there really were a lot of crooked cops 13-17 yrs. ago).  And the other Old School was fun even if campy.  Since 1997 mainstream music has sucked.  Except for Rock.

yeah, i have another sn i might try. i'm still workin on it. thanx!  ;)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 11:16 pm

yeah, i have another sn i might try. i'm still workin on it. thanx! ;)

Anytime  :)

Written By: bendergoonie1985 on 02/20/05 at 11:25 pm

i'm trying my hardest to bring it back at my school... i wish i could've lived it... when they make time machines pm me.  :D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 11:28 pm

i'm trying my hardest to bring it back at my school... i wish i could've lived it... when they make time machines pm me. :D

I wish it would come back for a month.  8)  Then we could go back to the 2000s or whatever.

I also wish I was born in 1988 or 1989. D*mn January 1990.  >:(

-FHF  :)

Written By: bendergoonie1985 on 02/21/05 at 10:04 am

I wish it would come back for a month.   8)  Then we could go back to the 2000s or whatever.

I also wish I was born in 1988 or 1989. D*mn January 1990.  >:(

-FHF  :)

cheers! da*n FEBRUARY 1990

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 02/21/05 at 4:32 pm

what school u say bendergonnie u say that everyone like 80's music instead of the rap crap???....man u will want challenge try my school here down in....Miami....where of course the marvleous "Miami Vice" was!!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/21/05 at 6:47 pm

My guess is that they find it too cheesy, as apposssed to say I don't know, the music of Ashlee Simpson?  ::)

That's my theory.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/21/05 at 9:19 pm

cheers! da*n FEBRUARY 1990

It especially sucks when you meet people in your grade born in 1989 who like current stuff best and don't know crap about the 80s.  I get so mad, I deserved to be born in 1989 not you!  >:(

Written By: bendergoonie1985 on 02/21/05 at 10:35 pm

what school u say bendergonnie u say that everyone like 80's music instead of the rap crap???....man u will want challenge try my school here down in....Miami....where of course the marvleous "Miami Vice" was!!!

lol, i wish i could. my highschool's pretty big for where i live, but it's not like a huge new york or chicago or los angeles one... just in the northwest. but yeah, 80s is pretty popular, at least among my friends, and rap is dying little by little. i don't think it's going to be one of those types of music that sticks around. tons of people i talk to who liked it when i was younger and britney spears and eminem and all that crap was getting popular are embarassed about liking the stuff... it makes me laugh, cause i was never into it...  ;D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/21/05 at 10:51 pm

lol, i wish i could. my highschool's pretty big for where i live, but it's not like a huge new york or chicago or los angeles one... just in the northwest. but yeah, 80s is pretty popular, at least among my friends, and rap is dying little by little. i don't think it's going to be one of those types of music that sticks around. tons of people i talk to who liked it when i was younger and britney spears and eminem and all that crap was getting popular are embarassed about liking the stuff... it makes me laugh, cause i was never into it...  ;D

You live in Oregon Bender?

-FHF  ;)

Written By: Zella on 02/22/05 at 12:54 am

Re: why kids today refuse to listin to 80's music...

My theory: If you've heard one synthesizer, you've heard 'em all....   ::)

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 02/23/05 at 2:17 pm

dam dude i gotta live up there...here it looks like rap i gaining little by little

Written By: BlondeyFHFan6 on 02/23/05 at 5:15 pm

I like 80s music. ;D My two favoritie 80s songs are "Girls just wanna have fun" and the "Love Shack".. I think that more kids today shouldn't be afraid to be caught listening to music they enjoy. Heck, my own dance class dances to nothing but 80s songs. :)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/23/05 at 5:19 pm

I like 80s music. ;D My two favoritie 80s songs are "Girls just wanna have fun" and the "Love Shack".. I think that more kids today shouldn't be afraid to be caught listening to music they enjoy. Heck, my own dance class dances to nothing but 80s songs. :)

Awesome!  I dislike the B-52s though.  Too campy even for me, although I like "Roam" .  Cyndi Lauper's good though :)

-FHF :) 8)

Written By: BlondeyFHFan6 on 02/23/05 at 5:30 pm

I'm not really familar w/ any of the bands from the 80s but I  like the song Love Shack b/c it was on Full House. lol. Or at least i think it was Full House. Didn't stephanie do a dance to it?

PS: that song on the commerical, "Can't tough this" Is that an 80s song? I love that song! :)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/23/05 at 7:05 pm

I'm not really familar w/ any of the bands from the 80s but I  like the song Love Shack b/c it was on Full House. lol. Or at least i think it was Full House. Didn't stephanie do a dance to it?

PS: that song on the commerical, "Can't tough this" Is that an 80s song? I love that song! :)

I don't remember Love Shack on FH, but it could of been.  "U Can't Touch This" - MC Hammer as early 1990, so yeah it's pretty much an 80s song.

-FHF

Written By: bendergoonie1985 on 02/24/05 at 8:54 am

You live in Oregon Bender?

-FHF

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/24/05 at 5:10 pm

nope ; ) around there though

Washington?  I live in Western Oregon.

-FHF

Written By: bendergoonie1985 on 02/24/05 at 10:24 pm

Washington?  I live in Western Oregon.

-FHF

yup

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/24/05 at 10:26 pm

yup

Sweet :) You been to Astoria, Oregon?  That's where Goonies was filmed  8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/10/05 at 7:46 am

Bump

This is an intersting topic and I can relate to it from both sides - I'm 23, so I was pretty much an '80s/early '90s kid, yet this is sorta "my time" too. I'd say it's split about half and half with people my age who will admit to liking something from the '80s, and those who pretend they're too cool for it (although I think just about every person my age I've talked with at least knows some stuff from, like 1989).

I actually think something is usually more disliked immediately after it goes out of style. There were times in the mid '90s when I was in Junior High, if I mentioned some Eighties song, I'd get weird looks. Especially if it was an early '80s song from, say Hall and Oates. In an indirect way, that was my first real experience of ever feeling "old".

Honestly, this stuff just depends on the person more than anything else. If I was to give my best answer for why some kids diss 1980s music, I'd say it's because some of them just aren't exposed to anything that isn't generally current and cool, so anything else is kinda inferior and lame by comparison. The ones who do know about it and still dislike it, might just be making fun of the "80s image" more than the actual songs, if that makes sense.

Written By: bj26 on 03/10/05 at 11:17 am

Speaking from my own perspective, I don't think kids uniformly dislike 80s or refuse to listen to it, they just like current music on the radio now.  My kids jump in the car and change the station like they are working a keyboard.  They stay away from oldies, country, and the college station and stick with the current hit stations.  Once in a while they call to my attention an 80s song that's made it to their stations which they accept as great, I guess just because it was played on their station.

Written By: Vice4Ever on 03/10/05 at 12:24 pm

It also depends A Lot on the musical communication parents have with their youngsters, I have
a 15 year old, that is a Freak of 70's stuff, he loves Led Zep, Cream, Jimmy Hendrix, Jimmy Page
The Who, Iron Butterfly, etc, and all the giants of that also incredible decade, but only because I got him messed" up with that, all he would listen to in my house was that type of music, together
of course with my beloved 80's decade music, but he actually prefers the 70's, he has
Peace Signs, Flower Power stuff, lava lamps, tieDye shirts, Woodstock posters, all over his room,
so as you can see, it also depends on, like I said before, the musical interaction between kids and
parents. :D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/10/05 at 3:43 pm

BUMP

Another interesting topic! One that I can relate to really from a little of both sides (I'm 23, so I experienced most of the 80's as a kid, but the 90's/today is more my "generation" and I'm about split on people my exact age who like the 80's and those who dislike/don't remember them).

I actually think something is usually more disliked immediately after it goes out of style. Sure, there's friends/acquaintes I have that know next to nothing about 80's music, or may not like it today, but it had way more people hating it in 1995 than 2005. For instance, I think in Jr. High, I recall once mentioning to one of the guys how I liked "We Built This City" from Starship. Now, this was 10-11 years after its heyday, but I didn't think anything of it, yet gauging from his response, you'd think I told him I was an extraterrestrial from Planet Vulcan. ;D

(Sorry, lame BTTF joke!)

In all seriousness, though, that was my first real experience of ever feeling "old", LOL. However, today, the reaction might be slightly less bad.

Someone in this thread also made a good point about rap. It's certainly not "dead" (although if I had anything to say about it, it would be, LOL!), but I think it's, maybe a little less big then it was in, say, 1997 or 2001.

As for the question at hand, like I always say, it totally depends on the person. Typically, though, I think it could be 'cause (a) some people just seem kinda predisposed to hate something if it's old or not "in" at the moment, or (b) it's less the songs themselves, but the "image" of the 80's.

In other words, it's not that modern or semi modern stuff isn't cheesy (Backstreet Boys' "I Want it That Way" is probably cheesier than the average 80's song!), but the idea of liking something 15 or 20 years ago, when the culture was different is, if that makes sense.

Actually I think Rap is bigger now than ever, it's just devolved into Pop. 

Written By: Atari on 03/11/05 at 11:15 am

When only two large corporations own most of radio, you tend to lose that :)

I've grown sick of the music they play on corporate radio, so I picked up a Sirius Satellite tuner. The whole Howard Stern/Citadel rift was the last straw for me. The 80s and Classic Rewind channel they have rule, with all of the 80s MTV VJs playing all of the tunes. Sure, Sirius is as corporate as the rest, but it has one thing mainstream "terrestrial" radio DOESN'T have- freedom. You pay for the service and you get no commercials on most of the channels. Not to mention, they actually TAKE REQUESTS!

I don't know what the future holds for radio, nor do I really care. I'm just happy that there are more choices out there than the mainstream ones.

Sorry if this sounds like a commercial.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/11/05 at 11:24 am

I wonder what would happen if you took an 80's song that most kids today wouldn't know, like "Promises, Promises" by Naked Eyes and just started playing it on the radio like it was a brand new song.

That would be funny if it shot up to #1.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/11/05 at 12:17 pm

I wonder what would happen if you took an 80's song that most kids today wouldn't know, like "Promises, Promises" by Naked Eyes and just started playing it on the radio like it was a brand new song.

I've thought alot about that myself.

Ya know, I'm sure that alot of these songs would become hits/be liked by the same people who make fun of 'em today. I've concluded (especially since even someone my age is still just barely young enough to make fun of the 80's -- I heard it alot, especially when I was younger) that kids are more disliking of the "80's image" as opposed to the song itself.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/11/05 at 1:39 pm

I've thought alot about that myself.

Ya know, I'm sure that alot of these songs would become hits/be liked by the same people who make fun of 'em today. I've concluded (especially since even someone my age is still just barely young enough to make fun of the 80's -- I heard it alot, especially when I was younger) that kids are more disliking of the "80's image" as opposed to the song itself.

I agree. Kids today seem to dig the 80s sound as long as there isn't some Wavehead attached to it.  "It's My Life" by No Doubt was HUGE!
So was "1985".  12 and 13-year old weren't even close to being alive in the 80s.  At least I existed around the 80s border so the times don't seem totally alien to me the way the 60s do.

Written By: 90s boy on 03/11/05 at 7:43 pm

im 16 gonna  be 17 and i love alot of 80's music and 90's too but i dont like the stuff that comes out today lol

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/12/05 at 12:03 am

im 16 gonna  be 17 and i love alot of 80's music and 90's too but i dont like the stuff that comes out today lol

What decade do you think's better?  I'd say tie because while I lived the 90s the 80s are more a means of "escapism".

Written By: Alana on 03/13/05 at 3:15 pm

My dance teacher plays sheesh-head stuff to strech to. Like "outrageous" by Britney Spears and whatever crap. I had to dance to "Girl Talk" by TLC in Grade 7 when I was in a class filled with WAY younger kids and guess what? It had the word Ass-Hole in it!

Written By: Arvig on 03/14/05 at 4:37 am

Kind of been done a few times in a way, if you count re-releases.  I'm not in England, but I think Gary Numan has done at least one or two re-releases of "Cars" that went back up the UK charts (but then again, he was much more then a one hit wonder in the UK anyway).  I think Modern English had a moderate hit with an early 90's re-release of "I Melt With You".  Wonderful song. IMHO too.  And if I can use a 70's song, look what "Wayne's World" did to "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen, I think it charted again due to it's use in the film.

edit/addition:  I'm in my 30's, but I remember right when I turned 30, a lot of the people I knew in their late teens and early 20's were just as much into 80's music as current songs at that time...so IMO I think nostalga for older music comes and goes...and hasn't left completly, if I can count a friend of mine who's 19 as a "kid", he's much more into 80's hair metal then current music.

Written By: banglebabe on 03/15/05 at 6:00 am

Hey, next time your friends say that they think 80s music is lame, just let them know that with all the sampling going on these days, they are actually listening to 80s music anyways.  ;D They just don't realize it.  ;)

Written By: Arvig on 03/15/05 at 11:22 am

Hey, next time your friends say that they think 80s music is lame, just let them know that with all the sampling going on these days, they are actually listening to 80s music anyways.  ;D They just don't realize it.   ;)

Not to go off on a tangent, but would one say that the 80's, along with maybe other eras is being looted for samples into modern songs?  And if so, did most pop songs form the last four or five years or so borrow or steal more then evolve from earlier sounds? 

Throwing this out as a general question, not just to Banglebabe, even though I quoted her, interested to see what people say to that, one way or another. 

My own answer...actually, I'll hold off, see if this gets any discussion, and then I'll answer.  ;)

Written By: Allie on 03/17/05 at 8:02 pm

I am 14 years old and I listen to classic rock.. like the 80's. no duran duran for me though please.
-Allie

Written By: 90s boy on 03/17/05 at 8:43 pm

What decade do you think's better?  I'd say tie because while I lived the 90s the 80s are more a means of "escapism".

idd say a tie too for the same resions lol any i listen to alot of 80's stuff like Madonna Kim Wild Samantha Fox i like alot of 80's freestyle some 80's rock ect and the list go's on in the 90's i perfure it over the music thats around today

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 03/20/05 at 1:17 pm

You're welcome :) 

Does Corey Hart have anything good besides "Sunglasses at Night"? 

Hell yes! my favorite is "Never Surrender"

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/20/05 at 4:47 pm

I think part of it is the synths, like a previous post said.  Until recently the last popular synth pop album was probably that Cure album with "Friday I'm In Love".  I can't think of a popular synth album after that, by 1993 Grunge killed absolutely all 80s music.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/20/05 at 8:44 pm

I think part of it is the synths, like a previous post said.  Until recently the last popular synth pop album was probably that Cure album with "Friday I'm In Love".  I can't think of a popular synth album after that, by 1993 Grunge killed absolutely all 80s music.

synth pop is not dead, it's alive and well. it only went underground.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/21/05 at 12:45 am

synth pop is not dead, it's alive and well. it only went underground.

You know I make my own synth music with Internet samples?

Written By: migi on 03/21/05 at 4:48 am

Let me tell you about my little brother who's 17 years old. He really likes 80's music like Mötley Crüe and Def Leppard but also new wave like Duran Duran 8). Many of he's friends also listen to 80's or early 90s bands. You may ask why....well, he told me that today's  music sucks big time. Nowadays there're among hip hoppers and punkers also retros who appreciate the talent and original ideas of yesterdays music.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/21/05 at 1:22 pm

You know I make my own synth music with Internet samples?

DevoRule, a lot of synth pop today is strickly mp3. check this site out. it has free mp3 synth pop songs for download http://www.adifferentdrum.com/freemp3.php

Written By: m5chitown on 03/21/05 at 7:30 pm

I'm thirteen now. I was born in 1992, and I know more about the eighties than some adults do. Go up to any kid and ask them what bands were big in the eighties and I'll bet they won't know. To them, the eighties is the disco era, and the BeeGees were the big new thing. NO! It's only a half a decade before they were born and they don't know who Pat Benetar is, or who The Cars are. I bet if you ask them, they'd say The Cars were Hummers, BMWs, Hondas, and Fords. Play them David Bowie and ask them who's singing. They'll say, I don't know. I DO. I listen to that kind of music and like it. I know an eighties fashion from a seventies fashion (Except when it's the late seventies and early eighties). When I say I was listening to this cool eighties song, they say, "Cool! Disco!" and I have to sit them down and explain how sad it is for them not to know anything about the world ten years before they were born. That's sad. To them, Depeche Mode is a french word for a state of being (Such as still, active, tired). They think that REM is rem....whatever that means.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/22/05 at 4:39 am

I'm thirteen now. I was born in 1992, and I know more about the eighties than some adults do. Go up to any kid and ask them what bands were big in the eighties and I'll bet they won't know. To them, the eighties is the disco era, and the BeeGees were the big new thing. NO! It's only a half a decade before they were born and they don't know who Pat Benetar is, or who The Cars are. I bet if you ask them, they'd say The Cars were Hummers, BMWs, Hondas, and Fords. Play them David Bowie and ask them who's singing. They'll say, I don't know. I DO. I listen to that kind of music and like it. I know an eighties fashion from a seventies fashion (Except when it's the late seventies and early eighties). When I say I was listening to this cool eighties song, they say, "Cool! Disco!" and I have to sit them down and explain how sad it is for them not to know anything about the world ten years before they were born. That's sad.

I agree with just about everything you said. I was born in '81 and even I've had countless instances when my peers will gives the "before my time" excuse for not liking (and/or not knowing about) something. This annoys me sometimes. When someone only 3 years younger than me talks about the '80s or even the early '90s like it's totally foreign, I feel like 30 years older.

Interestingly, I've noticed the younger crowd ctually seems a little more open-minded than people closer to my age. I mean, someone born in or before about 1977 would remember some 80's no matter what (since they'd already be 12 in 1989). However, a 1982 baby was 12 in 1994, in the heart of the "anti 80s" grunge generation. So for some of them, the first of their own pop culture awareness would've included that.

Now, there's a good chance they'd still have some 80's memories from their childhood (like I do), but wouldn't reflect on it fondly and/or maybe they thought in 1994: Def Leppard? Oh geez, I liked them when I was 8! I'm 12 now, I want my own music. I picked alot of that up from kids in the '90s. However, someone born in 1988 wouldn't remember the "80s backlash" sentiments of the early 90's, so they'll be more open-minded to it. The average person actually seems slightly less trendy and finds retro stuff more acceptable than in the past.

Written By: banglebabe on 03/22/05 at 7:05 am

Not to go off on a tangent, but would one say that the 80's, along with maybe other eras is being looted for samples into modern songs?  And if so, did most pop songs form the last four or five years or so borrow or steal more then evolve from earlier sounds? 

Throwing this out as a general question, not just to Banglebabe, even though I quoted her, interested to see what people say to that, one way or another. 

My own answer...actually, I'll hold off, see if this gets any discussion, and then I'll answer.  ;)

Are you asking in general why is there so much sampling going on these days? Because my answer is that I think that there are too many lazy over-rated Puff Daddy types who can't write their own music, so they borrow from other people to overcompensate.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/22/05 at 1:13 pm

I agree with just about everything you said. I was born in '81 and even I've had countless instances when my peers will gives the "before my time" excuse for not liking (and/or not knowing about) something - now, that annoys me, LOL.

My idea is that everything will be old someday (and, reversely, there was a time when everything was new), so why does it matter? Just like something for what it is instead of when it came out. :)

Interestingly though, I've noticed -- in the people I know or have spoken to at least. I also have several friends a few years younger than me -- is that the younger crowd today actually seems a little more open-minded than people closer to my age. I mean, someone born in or before about 1977 would remember some 80's no matter what (since they'd already be 12 when it ended). However, take kids born in 1982 (I was late '81, so that's basically me), they were 10 in '92 and 12 in 1994, which was smack in the heart of the "anti 80s" grunge generation, so for many, the first of their own awareness of the culture would've included that.

Now, there's a good chance they'd still have some 80's memories from their childhood (like I do), but wouldn't reflect on it fondly and/or maybe they thought , Def Leppard? Oh geez, I liked them when I was 8! I'm 12 now, I want my own music. I picked alot of that up from kids about 10 years ago.

However, someone born in 1988 may not remember that part of the "anti 80s" early 90's, so they'll be more open-minded to it. Just judging by who I'm friends with (both now and in the past), it seems to me, people born starting in 1985 or so are slightly less "OH-MI-GOD I have to be so trendy" than those born in the early 80's.

Good post I agree with :)  I agree with the 13-year-old poster too. I was born in '90 but I know way more about the 80s than my brother, who was born in '88. 

The 90s are getting very close to becoming "retro" I think. I mean the 80s have been old since 1999 or so.  There really was never an "anti-90s" movement, although I do remember "get into the 21st century" or "it's the 21st century" were popular phrases.  But in the 90s people seemed to think of the 20th century as history mostly since the 90s were the last few years of the 1900s.  World War II, for instance, was history, as was Vietnam. 
The 90s was never, and is not now, considered "gay", although it's not exactly "cool" either.  For instance, some people like the Beastie Boys, Fresh Prince, and old school rap, but others find it campy, goofy stuff.  1997-1999 is last week and is dumb "now" because it's not hot sh*t from today or 2004.

It seems like the 80s were considered uncool almost directly after they ended.  In 1990 I doubt you'd get the crap beaten out of you for liking Hair Metal or New Wave, and there are 80s elements to the 90s up to 1996, but if you told someone from 1993 their clothes looked 80s they'd give you a weird look at the least. 

Marty, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Synth Pop's popularity go further into the 90s than Hair Metal's? I mean Hair Bands were around up to about 1992-93, but after Nelson nobody took them seriously, while Depeche Mode, the Cure, and Morrisey racked up hits up to 1993.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/22/05 at 1:15 pm

People can't appreciate keyboards when they have an 80s hairdo attached to them.

But synth pop is popular.  Mainstream rap = synths + bass + trendiness = synth-pop  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/22/05 at 11:14 pm

Good post I agree with :)  I agree with the 13-year-old poster too. I was born in '90 but I know way more about the 80s than my brother, who was born in '88. 

The 90s are getting very close to becoming "retro" I think. I mean the 80s have been old since 1999 or so.  There really was never an "anti-90s" movement, although I do remember "get into the 21st century" or "it's the 21st century" were popular phrases.  But in the 90s people seemed to think of the 20th century as history mostly since the 90s were the last few years of the 1900s.  World War II, for instance, was history, as was Vietnam. 
The 90s was never, and is not now, considered "gay", although it's not exactly "cool" either.  For instance, some people like the Beastie Boys, Fresh Prince, and old school rap, but others find it campy, goofy stuff.  1997-1999 is last week and is dumb "now" because it's not hot sh*t from today or 2004.

It seems like the 80s were considered uncool almost directly after they ended.  In 1990 I doubt you'd get the crap beaten out of you for liking Hair Metal or New Wave, and there are 80s elements to the 90s up to 1996, but if you told someone from 1993 their clothes looked 80s they'd give you a weird look at the least. 

Marty, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Synth Pop's popularity go further into the 90s than Hair Metal's? I mean Hair Bands were around up to about 1992-93, but after Nelson nobody took them seriously, while Depeche Mode, the Cure, and Morrisey racked up hits up to 1993.

If you ask me, all this crap about a decade being 'cool' and 'uncool' is just so pointless. Each decade had their good and bad points. Unless, of course, you're talking about the 80s... ;)

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/23/05 at 4:49 pm

80's rocked man...its probalby not , THE MEGA SUPER DUPER MANIAC BESTEST decade ever...but it i like better than todays 00's...today sucks @$$...back then before 1997 was awesome 1997 > forward is downfall of many bad stufff to happend...except The Matrix...that was the best movie ever made...oh yeah and The Lord of the Rings...along with my 80's music & video colelction!

Written By: nikkisixx#1 on 03/23/05 at 7:34 pm

my mom and dad listen to the 80's music and i love it and im only 15 yrs old and my brother listens to rap and things like that i quit listening to that music i love the 80's music ecspecially Motley crue and all them groups like that. ;D

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/24/05 at 12:18 am

my mom and dad listen to the 80's music and i love it and im only 15 yrs old and my brother listens to rap and things like that i quit listening to that music i love the 80's music ecspecially Motley crue and all them groups like that. ;D

awesome me to dudette...or pretty lady...but hey i want to know where do u live cuz i know im practilly the only dude in my city of Miami/Hialeah...who listen to this music 24/7

Written By: Alana on 03/27/05 at 12:07 am

I've had people tell me that Good Charlotte is BETTER than Tears for Fears and all my other favorites! What a load of crap! Some kid told that Tears for Fears sucks, and he's never EVEN heard any of their songs! I also find that a load of crap as well! I can at least voice my comment that GC sucks because I have heard their music! That just angers the sheesh out of me! >:( >:(

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/27/05 at 12:58 am

Well maybe it's their choice not to listen to 80's music and a good one of that. I think the kids of today have every right of listening to music from the likes of Britney Spears, Christina Aguleria etc because it's their choice. By all means go on and listen to 80's music, but you will be losing your friends if you do as they will be all be laughting at you.

Written By: Arvig on 03/27/05 at 3:37 am

By all means go on and listen to 80's music, but you will be losing your friends if you do as they will be all be laughting at you.

I'm sorry, but if I lose a friend based on simply prefering old music over modern, generally speaking, then that friend was pretty shallow indeed and not much of a friend.  If a friend is laughing at me based on something as simple as my taste in music, I'm going to laugh that much harder at them.  I guess I've never considered taste in music to be a criteria for friendship or romance. 

Or to put it another way, it's my ears, and it's my money buying my music.  If they can't handle that, THEY need to go somewhere else.  I'm not going to be so shallow as to demand they like or listen to what I like.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/27/05 at 9:30 am

I'm sorry, but if I lose a friend based on simply prefering old music over modern, generally speaking, then that friend was pretty shallow indeed and not much of a friend.  If a friend is laughing at me based on something as simple as my taste in music, I'm going to laugh that much harder at them.  I guess I've never considered taste in music to be a criteria for friendship or romance. 

Or to put it another way, it's my ears, and it's my money buying my music.  If they can't handle that, THEY need to go somewhere else.  I'm not going to be so shallow as to demand they like or listen to what I like.

good point. a true friend accepts you regardless of what you do or listen too.

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/27/05 at 1:03 pm

Totally man...i couldnt have said it better myself...

Written By: Mergal on 03/27/05 at 1:52 pm

Speaking of retro, I had a friend over a couple of nights ago, and she mentioned that all of my CD's are old and that I should get new tracks. Hello, I come from another century so give me a break!

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/27/05 at 2:08 pm

Speaking of retro, I had a friend over a couple of nights ago, and she mentioned that all of my CD's are old and that I should get new tracks. Hello, I come from another century so give me a break!

Your freinds right. You should get a decent CD collection. You can't go living in the passed. You've got t move on.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/27/05 at 2:17 pm

Your freinds right. You should get a decent CD collection. You can't go living in the passed. You've got t move on.

Why should we get headaches listening to music we don't like just to please others?

That's ridiculous.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/27/05 at 2:19 pm

Why should we get headaches listening to music we don't like just to please others?

That's ridiculous.

Todays music shouldn't give you headaches. Maybe if you turn your stereo down, then you wouldn't get any. I love todays music. It's a breath of fresh air compared to the stuff that was out years and years ago.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/27/05 at 2:23 pm

Well maybe it's their choice not to listen to 80's music and a good one of that. I think the kids of today have every right of listening to music from the likes of Britney Spears, Christina Aguleria etc because it's their choice. By all means go on and listen to 80's music, but you will be losing your friends if you do as they will be all be laughting at you.

Says someone who loves music from the 80's..dont'cha Dave!!

Written By: ADH13 on 03/27/05 at 2:23 pm

Todays music shouldn't give you headaches. Maybe if you turn your stereo down, then you wouldn't get any. I love todays music. It's a breath of fresh air compared to the stuff that was out years and years ago.

Like I said in the other thread, if I can find music of today that isn't all "ghetto", I would give it a chance.. but any 00s radio station I turn to is all ghetto garbage that gives me a headache.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/27/05 at 2:35 pm

Says someone who loves music from the 80's..dont'cha Dave!!

Only when i'm in the mood.

Written By: Arvig on 03/28/05 at 3:10 am

Who made you the judge of what is decent music?  What if someone doesn't like any popular music and only likes classical?  Or let's say doesn't like anything that hits a top 40 chart (any top 40 chart, not just pop) and only listens to garage bands and local talent?  Or are from a foreign nation, and only likes the traditional music from their country?  Are you going to DEMAND they buy what YOU consider to be decent?

Then again, someone calls you on that and indicates that you listen to 80's music, and you say "only when in the mood".  So, 80's music is okay when your in the mood for it, but not otherwise?  Gee, please let me know your scedule so I know when you're in the mood for something made 15 to 20 years ago, so I have permission to listen to it.  :P

Sorry, but your viewpoint IMO is absurd at best.  As an aside, I listen to some modern stuff, some early 90's, some 80's, some 70's, some 60's, one or two songs from the 50's.  Also like some Classical.  Don't like a lot of it, but I don't mind a couple country songs.  I even some bits and pieces of some opera arias.  Now...if you came to my home and laughed at my music collection, and then had the audacity to tell me to throw out most of the stuff that isn't modern, I'd ask if I get to throw you out, or if you have the wit to leave on your own.  :P

Or to put it another way, it's my musical taste.  If you don't like it, don't come to my house when I have music on, and don't get in my car when I'm playing a CD. 

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/28/05 at 5:52 am

Who made you the judge of what is decent music?  What if someone doesn't like any popular music and only likes classical?  Or let's say doesn't like anything that hits a top 40 chart (any top 40 chart, not just pop) and only listens to garage bands and local talent?  Or are from a foreign nation, and only likes the traditional music from their country?  Are you going to DEMAND they buy what YOU consider to be decent?

Then again, someone calls you on that and indicates that you listen to 80's music, and you say "only when in the mood".  So, 80's music is okay when your in the mood for it, but not otherwise?  Gee, please let me know your scedule so I know when you're in the mood for something made 15 to 20 years ago, so I have permission to listen to it.  :P

Sorry, but your viewpoint IMO is absurd at best.  As an aside, I listen to some modern stuff, some early 90's, some 80's, some 70's, some 60's, one or two songs from the 50's.  Also like some Classical.  Don't like a lot of it, but I don't mind a couple country songs.  I even some bits and pieces of some opera arias.  Now...if you came to my home and laughed at my music collection, and then had the audacity to tell me to throw out most of the stuff that isn't modern, I'd ask if I get to throw you out, or if you have the wit to leave on your own.  :P

Or to put it another way, it's my musical taste.  If you don't like it, don't come to my house when I have music on, and don't get in my car when I'm playing a CD. 

In the words of Bachman-Turner Overdrive - "You aint Seen Nothin' Yet"!!!

Written By: Bobby on 03/28/05 at 8:10 am

You love Aqua, Dave Brown? That's at least 8 years ago.  ;D

Music is a personal thing. Why can't people understand that?  ???

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/28/05 at 10:27 am

You love Aqua, Dave Brown? That's at least 8 years ago.  ;D

Music is a personal thing. Why can't people understand that?  ???

Maybe so, but their music will never outdate and it hasn't. I just find it sad how people can listen to stuff that outdated.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/28/05 at 10:39 am

Wow, I'm away for one Easter and look what's grown without me, LOL!

Maybe so, but their music will never outdate and it hasn't. I just find it sad how people can listen to stuff that outdated.

Well dude, what about in 2013 or 2015 when someone looks through your CDs and goes, "Stuff from 2005!? Eww, that s*cks, it's old!" what are you gonna say then? ;D

That's the argument I've always used against liking old music/culture/movies/you name it. BTW, that's not a slam on modern stuff (as I like a bit of it myself), but the idea that you can't like something after X amount of time is just silly. Everything will be old someday and, on the inverse, everything was once new.

Besides, every band has influences - so there's a link to the past right there. ;)

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/28/05 at 10:44 am

Wow, I'm away for one Easter and look what's grown without me, LOL!

Well dude, what about in 2013 or 2015 when someone looks through your CDs and goes, "Stuff from 2005!? Eww, that s*cks, it's old!" what are you gonna say then? ;D

That's the argument I've always used against liking old music/culture/movies/you name it. BTW, that's not a slam on modern stuff (as I like a bit of it myself), but the idea that you can't like something after X amount of time is just silly. Everything will be old someday and, on the inverse, everything was once new.

Besides, every band has influences - so there's a link to the past right there. ;)

I'll just argue with them.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/28/05 at 12:51 pm

i was in agreement with right up to that comment. now i'm ticked off. are you saying that all of the music made in history should be neglected. are you saying i should toss out my beethoven, bach and a slew of other classical CDs because it is outdated, am i a sad loser now!!!!

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/28/05 at 12:54 pm

i was in agreement with right up to that comment. now i'm ticked off. are you saying that all of the music made in history should be neglected. are you saying i should toss out my beethoven, bach and a slew of other classical CDs because it is outdated, am i a sad loser now!!!!

Classical music can rot in hell as far as i'm concerned. I can't stand it because it's the sort of music that reminds me of somebody that's died.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/28/05 at 12:58 pm

Classical music can rot in hell as far as i'm concerned. I can't stand it because it's the sort of music that reminds me of somebody that's died.

your ignorant. you just proved yourself so. no longer reply reply to my posts and i wont bother replying to yours.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/05 at 1:00 pm

One good example you are probably thinking of is the Bach-Gounod "Ave Maria", yes it is played at funerals, but it is played at marraiges too.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/28/05 at 1:07 pm

your ignorant. you just proved yourself so. no longer reply reply to my posts and i wont bother replying to yours.

I am not ignorant and I will continue to reply to your posts. If you have a problem with that then that's tough.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/28/05 at 1:13 pm

One good example you are probably thinking of is the Bach-Gounod "Ave Maria", yes it is played at funerals, but it is played at marraiges too.

I love a bit o'classical music !!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/05 at 1:16 pm

I love a bit o'classical music !!!
In fact, I am listening to Classicfm's hall of fame 2005.

Written By: Bobby on 03/28/05 at 1:19 pm

Okay. So, say the lead singer of Aqua died prematurely (hope to God she doesn't before you start), would you stop listening to songs by Aqua as it reminds you of the dead singer?

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/28/05 at 1:23 pm

In fact, I am listening to Classicfm's hall of fame 2005.

Yeah I heard a little of Classic fm yesterday switching stns.  Is it Dance of the Flowers from Swan Lake that is the well known one?

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/28/05 at 1:27 pm

I just can't understand it...I love stuff from the 60' 70's 80's 90's and NOW..why does everyone always have to be so narrow minded with regard to the decades..there has been excellent music from every one up to the present day!!

Hell I even like stuff from the 40' and 50's that my mother listened too.

BROADEN YOUR HORIZONS PEOPLE. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/05 at 1:28 pm

Yeah I heard a little of Classic fm yesterday switching stns.  Is it Dance of the Flowers from Swan Lake that is the well known one?
There are plenty of famous tunes in Swan Lake, yes Dance of the Flowers is one of them.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/28/05 at 1:35 pm

I'm personally not a fan of classical music (I hated it as a kid, although I can stand it to a degree now. In fact, I used to say it was "funeral music." Not that I don't like ballads or slower songs, but listening to a Lionel Richie ballad is different than classical to me -- the former might be softer, but still sounds happy. I call songs like that "prom ballads".

However, that said, my comment still stands. It's still out of line IMHO.

I won't stop listening to 1985 music to please someone stuck in 2005, nor will I stop listening 2005 music to please someone in 1985. I like what I want to.

Dave - seriously, bro - a simple question: What will you, in 2015 say, when a teenager says all your 2005 CD's suck? How will you respond?

Written By: Arvig on 03/28/05 at 4:25 pm

Dave - seriously, bro - a simple question: What will you, in 2015 say, when a teenager says all your 2005 CD's suck? How will you respond?

Somewhat off topic, but note how he's changed he has changed his posting avatar, how it used to be Susanna Hoffs if memory serves me right?  ;)  Then again I also wonder if he's right now throwing out a couple Bangles CD's because ignoring a comeback, they just aren't a modern band?  :D

I wonder to be honest if he just got bored and decided to troll a thread for a bit, and really doesn't feel this.  Or maybe not, I guess we'll see how this thread goes.

As an aside, I wonder what he thinks about a band that's more then a couple years old, but yet is still performing?  That would be quandry...some of their music would be "old", so thus using his rigid standards he can't like them...yet WAIT, some of the music would be recent, so now he can...oh my, what would he do?  ;)

Written By: Arvig on 03/28/05 at 4:33 pm

Define "outdated".

Can you do so?

Simply put, each person's concept of outdated will be different.

But then again, I find it sad how someone can be a hypocrite, and then try to justify it.  Someone calls you on listening to 80's music, you reply "Only when I'm in the mood".  Someone calls you on listening to Aqua, which was mostly popular 8 or more years ago, and you say "Oh, they aren't outdated". 

Otherwise, your saying your own rules don't apply to yourself.

Tell you what, if you're willing to throw out your OWN music collection based on what you're saying, then great.  Then I'll say your point has some merit.  Until then, you're just a hypocrite.

BTW, WHY did you change your posting avatar from Susanna Hoffs?  *insert sarcasm* I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with you liking her music, which for the most part was from the 80's.... *end sarcasm*

3 to 1 you deny it ever was Susanna Hoffs, and that it's always been the current image.  :p

Written By: banglebabe on 03/28/05 at 8:56 pm

Susanna Hoffs could never be considered outdated.  ;)

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/29/05 at 3:35 am

Somewhat off topic, but note how he's changed he has changed his posting avatar, how it used to be Susanna Hoffs if memory serves me right?  ;)  Then again I also wonder if he's right now throwing out a couple Bangles CD's because ignoring a comeback, they just aren't a modern band?  :D

I wonder to be honest if he just got bored and decided to troll a thread for a bit, and really doesn't feel this.  Or maybe not, I guess we'll see how this thread goes.

As an aside, I wonder what he thinks about a band that's more then a couple years old, but yet is still performing?  That would be quandry...some of their music would be "old", so thus using his rigid standards he can't like them...yet WAIT, some of the music would be recent, so now he can...oh my, what would he do?  ;)

What's it got to do with you if I've changed my avator or not? Why don't you mind your own bloody business >:(

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/29/05 at 3:48 am

What's it got to do with you if I've changed my avator or not? Why don't you mind your own bloody business >:(

...but don't you also love love love Sonia, Christina Aguilera and Kylie Minogue Dave..I remember you saying you did!

PS. That avatar doesn't suit you :(

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/29/05 at 3:52 am

^ Yes. And Christina came out in *gasp* 1999? That's 6 long years ago. :D

Okay, forget 2015, what about in 2007, when Aqua and the beginning of the teen pop/boy band music becomes 10 years old? Will that be too old for ya then?

BTW: Arvic - good post. I agree with you.

Green Day is a good example. American Idiot is one of the biggest selling albums of late 2004/early '05, but technically they could be called a 90's band (Dookie came out in '94 - 11 years ago. And they had some independent releases in the early 90's), even if AI is "current" music.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/29/05 at 3:55 am

BTW: Arvic - good post. I agree with you.

Don't talk crap. To me, Aqua's music will never go  out of date. So mind your own bloody business.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/29/05 at 5:28 am

I really cant understand people who won't appreciate music because it is from a particular time period. Good music will never grow old. I can imagine kids, 20 years from now listening to many great 70s and 80s bands/artists as much as today.

I am a listener of all music - whether it be from 1950, 1980, 1977 or 2005... If its good, the date don't matter.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/29/05 at 8:19 am

dave brown, these are public forums, what you say becomes the providence of those who contribute. you said something that will mark for the rest of your stay here. i, for one, will never forget and will laugh wholeheartedly at every contribition that you make in any other forum outside of the 90s and 00s threads.

owned

Written By: SpaceHog on 03/29/05 at 12:20 pm

all of my school hates cRAP and Loves the 80s, that I think is an accomplishment

Written By: Arvig on 03/30/05 at 3:19 am

1)  As someone else pointed out, this is a public forum.  If you don't want people commenting on your avatar, don't have one. 

Or to put it another way, the only way to avoid comments about your posts is to not post at all.  Same thing with an avatar, only way to avoid comments about it is to not have one. 

2)  I was pointing out that you switched from an avatar of a singer who's hits are all from the 80's to one that has nothing to do with 80's music since you've taken this anti-80's music stance.  My point was that I find it amusing how you suddenly change this avatar when it no longer suits you.

Written By: Arvig on 03/30/05 at 3:25 am

Don't talk crap. To me, Aqua's music will never go  out of date. So mind your own bloody business.

ROFL.  You just proved my point.  TO YOU Aqua will never go out of date.  Otherwise, your OWN rules of listening to what you have defined as outdated music don't apply to yourself.  Thus, you are a hypocrite.

Sorry, you can't have it both ways.  Either you admit that you yourself are "sad" for listening to Aqua and at least at one time liking Susanna Hoffs if no-one else, since their music for the most part isn't recent, or throw out your own record collection if you feel it's "sad" to like anything that isn't modern.

EDIT:  Or, he can realize that since he himself listens to both modern and what he has defined as "sad/outdated" music, then he can drop his initial comment and realize that yes, it's okay to listen to music regardless of when it was first written/published.  END EDIT

I doubt you'll do either (or the suggestion in my edit, either).  Problem with most hypocrites is that they won't admit it, and in many cases don't even understand that they are one.  ;)

BTW, let me know when you finish with that shovel you're using to dig your own hole, it's warming up here and I may do some gardening in a few weeks.  :D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/30/05 at 3:57 am

Dave that Avatar freaks me out..It's almost as scary as seeing  The Cybemen from Dr Who when I was a kid.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/30/05 at 9:38 am

i like his avatar, a mix of the terminator, a necron warrior from WH40k and the demented imaginings of HR Giger. but yeah, the jump from ms. hoffs avatar to his current one is far from coincidence.

Written By: Arvig on 03/30/05 at 4:24 pm

i like his avatar, a mix of the terminator, a necron warrior from WH40k and the demented imaginings of HR Giger. but yeah, the jump from ms. hoffs avatar to his current one is far from coincidence.

Hey, at least he didn't rip off your Kittithulu (sp, I know) one.  ;)  Although I wouldn't blame him if he was tempted, it is a good one.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/30/05 at 10:35 pm

thanks  :)

Written By: 80's fan on 03/31/05 at 7:34 am

I was a teen in the 80's and the music was boss!  My daughter is 12 and she says it's old people's music.  I guess if you're 12, 34 seems old.  She has a friend that listens to 80's music and is getting my daughter into it more.  What's funny is I'm catching her singing to some of the music like "Crazy Train" or "Burnning Down the House".  I am thankful for the movie that just came out "13 going on 30" because it kinda made it cool to love the 80's.  I down loaded "Thriller" the video so my daughter could see it.  Her comment was "Micheal Jackson's actualy black?  I thought he was white."  I died laughing.  I also think it rad that these new bands all sound alike and then they might come out with a new song that is clearly a knock off from the original of the 80's version. :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/31/05 at 4:15 pm

My daughter is 12 and she says it's old people's music.  I guess if you're 12, 34 seems old.  She has a friend that listens to 80's music and is getting my daughter into it more...

That's pretty cool - I've (sometimes more successfully than others) gotten some of my friends into 80's songs too. :)

Like I always say though, I think it just depends on the person (I'm learning that more and more all the time, LOL). I do think the reason some people have a disliking for the 80's -- or any time period for that matter -- is just 'cause they're not exposed to it outside of a "retro" or "old" POV, so by nature of that, it seems uncool to them.

PS: When I was 12, I didn't think 34 was old!

Written By: Arvig on 04/01/05 at 12:58 am

That's pretty cool - I've (sometimes more successfully than others) gotten some of my friends into 80's songs too. :)

Like I always say though, I think it just depends on the person (I'm learning that more and more all the time, LOL). I do think the reason some people have a disliking for the 80's -- or any time period for that matter -- is just 'cause they're not exposed to it outside of a "retro" or "old" POV, so by nature of that, it seems uncool to them.

PS: When I was 12, I didn't think 34 was old!

Some of it IMO even depends on the person despite their age.  Some people appricate nostalga, some don't, period.  When I was a teenager, a lot of my friends had no problem with music that was 10 or 20 years before our time, or with music outside of a popular genre like pop or rock music.  Many of the teenagers I talk to today seem the same way, they may listen to more current artists, but many of their favorites are songs from right when or even before they were born.  Neice of a friend of mine is always digging through my old CD's for "new discoveries", she still likes all of the modern stuff, but two of her favorite bands right now are U2 (specfically early 80's era...she's right now borrowing my copies of "Boy", "October' and "War") and The Eagles.  She's just now getting into The Doors also.  For that matter, she also likes some Broadway show tunes, albeit from more modern plays, she doesn't like the Rodgers & Hammerstein stuff for instance.  For the record, she's going to be 17 in a few weeks.  (And no Dave, best of my knowledge none of her friends her age think she is "sad" for having an open enough mind to have eclectic tastes...  :p  ).  Anyway, my point is despite Dave's silly posts, plenty of people, young, middle aged or old have no problem with music from "before their time", nor see it as "sad" for daring to not label anything more then a year or two old as outdated.

Or to put it another way...I wonder if Dave ever considered that if he'd see music a bit older then produced a year or two ago (other then Aqua or "when he's in the mood"...  *insert eyeroll*) as having merit, that he'd have so much more choice in what he can listen to?  :D

Written By: Alana on 04/02/05 at 11:11 pm

I wish I was in your school Spacehog, some of these kids in and out of my many classes listen to crappy music like Simple Plan and Good Charlotte and they know I cannot stand those bands, but they tell me that those bands are better than mine! I know maybe 2 kids in the school WHO do not listen to either of those bands! I listen to bands like The Cure, Tears for Fears, Eurythmics and singers Peter Schilling (both english and german), Thomas Dolby, Billy Idol and others. I recently bought a late 70's record by a 70's band from New York called Television (Tom Verlaine anyone?). I also like The Cars! ;D ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/03/05 at 12:05 am

I wish I was in your school Spacehog, some of these kids in and out of my many classes listen to crappy music like Simple Plan and Good Charlotte and they know I cannot stand those bands, but they tell me that those bands are better than mine! I know maybe 2 kids in the school WHO do not listen to either of those bands! I listen to bands like The Cure, Tears for Fears, Eurythmics and singers Peter Schilling (both english and german), Thomas Dolby, Billy Idol and others. I recently bought a late 70's record by a 70's band from New York called Television (Tom Verlaine anyone?). I also like The Cars! ;D ;D

I'm so glad high school is over for me. University kids/adults are a lot more open minded (most of them) :)

Written By: bj26 on 04/04/05 at 7:06 am

My kids (15 & 11) thought this was the funniest thread, "Dad, we refuse to listen to 80s music..." Lol, we had a laugh. I decided to not complain about their manipulation of the car radio and see what happened.  They said they were refusing, lol, as they changed stations.  We settled on I'm Mr. Lonely by Akon, it ended with commercials and the radio changing again, I noticed Joe Walsh went wooshing by, one note of Rocky Mtn. High, then they settled on What I am by Edie Brikell which is 80s!!! They listenbed to the whole thing! Then it was, hey Dad, we're refusing....lol, and they settled on an Aleesha Keys song.  We touched upon Listen to the Music by the Doobies, which they also liked and asked me about.  "Hey Dad isn't a doobie, marijuana?" Uh, yeh I guess, "lol, kids refuse..." we all lol'd - It was fun :)

Check for new replies or respond here...