inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Oh, how I miss the 80s!

Written By: lost_in_the_80s on 02/12/05 at 11:01 pm

Does anyone else miss the 80s as much as I do? If I had my way I would go back and stay there forever. 

Subject: Re: Oh, how I miss the 80s!

Written By: Phil on 02/13/05 at 12:17 am

Oh, how I do too!  Life was fun, the music was great!  Bands were original back than.  It seemed like each band or vocalist had their own unique style- lots of variety. No two bands sounded the same!

Now days all these young vocalists are like carbon copies of each other!!!  Their is no individuality in style or anything else.  I'm tired of hip-hop too, all the songs sound the same!  BORING!!! All that matters these days is if you have a pretty face (both male & female) and how much skin you can show in your videos.  Look underneath it all and there is very little musical talent or ability.  You can get anywhere in the music world today if you have a rich daddy!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/05 at 12:49 am

Does anyone else miss the 80s as much as I do? If I had my way I would go back and stay there forever. 

So do I, things were cheaper in those days.

Written By: lost_in_the_80s on 02/13/05 at 1:13 am

The 80s were the best!!! Life was FUN back then!  Then the 90s came and everything became so depressing. Then the 00s, and those of us from the 80s started getting old.  Someone invent a time machine!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/05 at 1:54 am

We had Thatcher in the 80s, do I miss it????

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 02/13/05 at 6:20 am

So would I. I miss the 80's so much this is what I do. :\'(

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 02/13/05 at 6:23 am

In my heart and in my mind, I'm always and forever in thr 80's. Nothing will ever change that. :\'(

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 02/13/05 at 8:49 am

So do I, things were cheaper in those days.

Cheaper in the 80s? I can buy a lot of stuff cheaper today then the 80s..
Maybe not the first half,but the second half of the 80s the sky was the limit..

Written By: cagesundercage on 02/13/05 at 10:52 am

"It seemed like each band or vocalist had their own unique style- lots of variety. No two bands sounded the same!"

that's not exactly true, a lot of new wave bands sound somewhat similar to each other, especially when it comes to the vocals. i have friends who can't tell the difference between martin gore and mark hollis. don't get me wrong though, i love new wave music, i just think theres no difference between music back then and music now regarding bands sounding similar to each other.

g.

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 02/13/05 at 4:09 pm

i cry thats it was 25 years ago that it was 1985...allot of things happend...like...Back to the Future

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/13/05 at 9:49 pm

Yeah in my opinion the 80s are oldies now only in age.  Would anyone agree that 80s music is more in the boat with 90s and 00s music than it is with 50s, 60s, and 70s music?  In that most, but not all, mainstream sucks, but indie music and even slightly lesser mainstream rocks, instead of there being no music except forsome, not many but enough, excellent mainstream bands and a slough of outnumbering crappy ones like there was from 1955-1978?

I'll never be able to see 80s music as "oldies", at least not until music gets an ENTIRELY new face.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 05/21/05 at 3:49 pm

My miserable childhood aside, yes I do miss the 80s. :\'( Though I must admit, I have become so accustomed to DVD, internet and my very affordable mobile phone! Terrible, isn't it? ::)

Written By: Barbara on 05/22/05 at 6:20 am

Yes I miss the 80's but I like it when my kids say to me "listen to this new song" and I play them the original version.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 05/22/05 at 6:31 am

Yes I miss the 80's but I like it when my kids say to me "listen to this new song" and I play them the original version.

;D Good on you! And tell us, what do your kids generally think of the original version? I remember when I loved Bananarama's cover of Shocking Blue's "Venus". I thought the original was boring. Now I think the opposite!

Written By: Zebra on 05/22/05 at 2:49 pm

I miss the 80s too. It was my Youth. Time of my first love. Life was easy, because i had no responsibilities.

I think the music was quite differnet from today. There were a lot of coverversions in the 80s too, but the were a lot more of Sound-Pioneers that developed new Styles. I think the Music-scene now is too fat. They want to make fast money with  cheap productions. There were some cheap in the 80s too. But where are today the stars that stays over years at the top only with making good music? (And not with presenting some more flesh than normal)
Give me a time machine and i will see you back in the 80s!

Written By: BCRichrocker on 05/22/05 at 11:54 pm

I miss the '80s a lot also. I just have never been able to get into the neo-seventies 1990's or the new decade which hasn't changed a whole lot, IMO, from the last. Very boring.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/05 at 2:22 am

I enjoyed the 80s, I had a good back then

Written By: Paul on 05/23/05 at 7:08 am

What? And be forever stuck at school? Not bloody likely...!!

Written By: iluvthe80s on 05/23/05 at 7:27 am

I miss the 80's too - it just seems like a more innocent, fun time to me.  The only thing I would have changed about it would be that there would have been a democrat president (I'd have voted for Mondale or Dukakis if I had been old enough to during those elections)

Written By: weredog on 05/23/05 at 12:30 pm

There are many things I miss from the 80s and would love to have readily available again,however I wouldn't want to limit myself to the 80s because there are things in the 90s and 00s I would miss just as much.

Written By: Haman on 05/23/05 at 12:52 pm

I miss the 80's too.

However, I like those days to be past. If the 80's were to come again as the new fad for the masses, I would feel highly uncomfortable.

You can recreate those days in a self-made environment and dwell in that fantasy as long as you wish.

There is no necessity for any time to come back if your mind can dwell always there...  :)

Written By: BCRichrocker on 05/23/05 at 2:12 pm

You can recreate those days in a self-made environment and dwell in that fantasy as long as you wish.

There is no necessity for any time to come back if your mind can dwell always there...  :)

That would be awesome if that would be true of now so we could move on, instead of being perpetually stuck in the late '90s like we have been for the last 6 years. I guess no one can think of anything new anymore (since the '80's really. All the '90's were was regurgitated '70's feel with a different label to it. IE: bellbottoms and the hippie look!! Ack!!! I would welcome the masses redoing that with '80's culture this time so I could actually enjoy it).

Written By: Mr. Hand on 05/24/05 at 12:05 am

I don't miss the the 80's.
  I became a legal adult in 1980. The economy sucked. Inflation was rising. Savings & Loans were failing. Unemployment was high. The price of automobiles practically doubled overnight. The Government had to bail out Chrysler corp. at the taxpayers expense. "Saturday Night Live" went to heck.
  I miss certain things from the 80's. I do miss SCTV. Thank you TVLand for bringing back 1/2 hour episodes of that great show. I miss the friends I made and greatly miss those that were lost :\'(. I miss the technological advances. It seemed every week something new was discovered, invented, or theorized. Anybody remember Prodigy or Compuserve and 14kb internet?
  I miss that one had the freedom to express themselves without being chastised(to the degree of today). It seems society is becoming more controlling and sterile lately.
  I miss MTV playing videos that were low-budget and entertaining. Today they all have to try to be artistic.

Hmmmm, maybe I do miss the 80's.......a little ;)

Written By: TER on 05/24/05 at 2:33 pm

Yes, almost to the point of obsession. I love the music, the hair, the fashion, the whole attitude. I even got laid more in the 80s. Dispite Reagan and that crowd, the 80s was the best time of my life.

Now I'm 45, married, kids, morgege, CEO of a medium-sized company, and I still listen to Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Roman Holliday (anyone remember them), and virtually every 80s compilation CD ever made. I have a collection of Rolling Stone magazines from the 80s, as well as other pop culture magazines and books. My wife and kids think I'm insane, but there's nothing I enjoy more that locking myself in my study, cranking up the new wave and dancing by myself, and reading 20-something year-old magazines.

Written By: jlmjr1957 on 05/26/05 at 3:31 pm

I miss the times but mostly I miss my friends. The class I graduated with were very close through high school but after graduation we went our seperate ways. I can't believe it's been 18 years since I've seen most of them.

-JM

Check for new replies or respond here...