inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Psychededic Furs

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/18/05 at 12:19 am

At first I didn't like "Love My Way" but I do now.  Especially that xylophone thing.

Would anyone agree, though, that their lead singer sounds like an owl?

Subject: Re: Psychededic Furs

Written By: krakboi on 02/18/05 at 12:34 am

Great song.  Every time I hear it I think of Valley girl which is one of my all time favorites.

BTW. owls can't talk. :P

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/18/05 at 12:53 am

Great song. Every time I hear it I think of Valley girl which is one of my all time favorites.

BTW. owls can't talk. :P

I'm more thinking alone the lines of Winnie The Pooh (an f'ed up show if you ask me).  ;D

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/18/05 at 8:03 am

love the furs. i always thought the lead singer sounded a bit like david bowie. a lot of singers in new wave tried to sound like bowie or bryan ferry.

Written By: bj26 on 02/18/05 at 8:57 am

At first I didn't like "Love My Way" but I do now.  Especially that xylophone thing.

Would anyone agree, though, that their lead singer sounds like an owl?
Check out the Ghost in you and Pretty in Pink - the singer has a strong English accent but it fits the music nicely; on the other hand, the Jam never really made it in the states as their British sound was a bit harder and they didn't receive the airplay here, anyway the PFs were/are a melodic gift.

Written By: cagesundercage on 02/18/05 at 11:47 am

he even looks like bowie..

Written By: RojoP on 02/18/05 at 9:02 pm

Check out the Ghost in you and Pretty in Pink - the singer has a strong English accent but it fits the music nicely; on the other hand, the Jam never really made it in the states as their British sound was a bit harder and they didn't receive the airplay here, anyway the PFs were/are a melodic gift.

"The Ghost in You" is my alltime favorite Psychedelic Furs song.  Also check out "Heartbreak Beat" and "Heaven".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/05 at 10:12 am

"The Ghost in You" is my alltime favorite Psychedelic Furs song.  Also check out "Heartbreak Beat" and "Heaven".

Those are from Mirror Moves, the Keith Forsey-produced synth-pop album.  Great record!  My favorite is still Forever Now, produced by Todd Rundgren.  That's the one with "Love My Way," one of my favorite songs of the early '80s.  I wish it wasn't so much associated with Valley Girl though.
"Pretty In Pink" was a song completely misinterpreted by John Hughes, but it gave the Furs the chance to make a poppier version of the song than the original post-punk one from the Talk Talk Talk album.  That pop sound was what gave the Furs their fifteen minutes of super-moussed preening pop star fame.  Unfortunately, the 1986 album Midnight to Midnight, which had their biggest hit, "Heartbreak Beat" way too cheesy and Richard Butlers long-running post-Furs rock group, Love Spit Love, is pretty lackluster.
I'll always love those early Psychedelic Furs albums, though!

Actually, I did like Love Spit Love's cover of the The Smith's "How Soon is Now," which was the theme song for The Craft.

I never heard Butler's voice compared to an "owl," but his distinctive rasp always drew a lot of comments.  I love his voice.

Written By: AchtungBaby on 02/19/05 at 9:04 pm

I love his voice.  I agree the xylophone - does it for that song. lol

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/05 at 9:09 pm

I love his voice.  I agree the xylophone - does it for that song. lol

It's not really xylophone, it's synthesizer.

For bona-fide xylophone '80s check out the xylophone solo in
the Violent Femmes' "Gone Daddy Gone."  Xylophones also appears on many Thompson Twins tracks, but never in Xymox.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/19/05 at 9:10 pm

Does anyone think "Hold Me Now" by Thompson Twins is a New Wave take on oldies music?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/05 at 9:15 pm

Does anyone think "Hold Me Now" by Thompson Twins is a New Wave take on oldies music?

Of course!  Pop music constantly recycles itself!  That song still brings me back to 1984, yow!  It was ubiquitous.  I heard "Hold Me Now" so many times it burned a permanent sense memory.  That's what happened in childhood with the BeeGees' "How Deep Is Your Love" in '77-'78.  I mean, you just heard that song everywhere!

Check for new replies or respond here...