inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Worse Fashion: 80s or 90s

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/18/05 at 4:35 pm

I'm going out on a limb and saying 90s.  Today's pants are baggy but nothing compared to the 90s.  Also tattoos were very common.  :P  Not to mention the early 90s still had a lot of campy eighties hairstyles, esp. the flat top.

Also, that quasi-nerd, Smath Mouth look was common then.  You know, that spaz look with the slightly teased hair?  Think Harry from Third Rock From the Sun.  Blech.  :P

Subject: Re: Worse Fashion: 80s or 90s

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/18/05 at 4:36 pm

The only thing going in the 80s was the micro minis, and they got better in the 90s.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 02/18/05 at 4:40 pm

Fashion was worse in the 90's.

Written By: woops on 02/18/05 at 4:40 pm

Honestly both...

Though the '90's was far worse since I once tripped over a pair of  baggy jeans at one point...   :P  ::)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/18/05 at 4:42 pm

Honestly both...

Though the '90's was far worse since I once tripped over a pair of  baggy jeans at one point...  :P ::)

I kinda think "South Park" was part of what caused the 90s to end ... do you agree? 1997 seemed to make everything more 2000s.

Written By: woops on 02/18/05 at 4:48 pm

I kinda think "South Park" was part of what caused the 90s to end ... do you agree? 1997 seemed to make everything more 2000s.

I agree.

Along withthe debut of "T.R.L."  pop acts like Britney Spears making trampy out fits more mainstream.

Heck, I'd rather date somebody who dressed like Courtney Love circa: 1995 than Christina Aguilera circa: 2000  :P

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/18/05 at 4:50 pm

I agree.

Along withthe debut of "T.R.L." pop acts like Britney Spears making trampy out fits more mainstream.

Heck, I'd rather date somebody who dressed like Courtney Love circa: 1995 than Christina Aguilera circa: 2000 :P

Me too.  I find all the skin unsexy actually.

Written By: cagesundercage on 02/18/05 at 5:22 pm

i'd say the 90s.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/18/05 at 5:40 pm

90's

Backwards clothing?
Parachute pants?
Flat hair?

Okkkkkkkkk................................  ::)

Written By: mr.smith s on 02/18/05 at 6:08 pm

80's were better because there was at least more originality put into wardrobes and the way it was worn was even different.  90's were Pretty boring,  (except for the early 90's and thge hyper insane Fluorescent colors.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/18/05 at 6:10 pm

80's were better because there was at least more originality put into wardrobes and the way it was worn was even different. 90's were Pretty boring, (except for the early 90's and thge hyper insane Fluorescent colors.

The early 90s had tackier fashion than any part of the eighties, imo.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/18/05 at 6:28 pm

80s.

Tanya

Written By: mr.smith s on 02/18/05 at 7:42 pm

Why the 90s are worse than the 80's

Early 90's-  Plaid flannel shirts (tied around waist),  ripped jeans (Grunge),
            - tacky tack hip hop clothes (ultra pinks and ultra lime greens. 
            - SPandex!!!!

Mid 90's - Skatered out, ripped pants and baggy as hell!  Then when it became a fad, poseurs wore it all the time. 
            - Overalls!!!!!! One strap downnnn  (the girls had sports bras underneath.) 

Late 90's - Britney Spears, Xtina,  slut slut slutty clothes.  Greasy and wet looking flesh.
            - Spiked hair!!!!  Worse than any eighties hairdo!

The 80's- slick suits (White suit, black shirt),
            - crinoline for the ladies, tight pants for the dudes.
            - awesome 80's shades (aviators)

Written By: Punk Daddy on 02/18/05 at 10:23 pm

80s style sucked....BAD!

90s...I loved the baggy jeans. Bout time guys were able to wear something comfortable after the sham that was the 70s/early 80s tight-on-my-crotch look.

By mid 90s or earlier stonewash jeans faded.....but I am so glad I came of age in the 90s than the 80s....

I probably would have worn a jerry curl if i was 18 in 1986. *yuck*

Written By: _adam_ on 02/19/05 at 8:48 am

90`s haven`t any fashion(maybe retro 70`s fashion)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/19/05 at 9:00 am

80s

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/05 at 10:22 am

'90s

Althouth it's hard to compete with the many things done with Spandex in the '80s!
:P

Written By: bendergoonie1987 on 02/19/05 at 6:57 pm

o, waaaaaaay 90s... man, ugh.

remember the hairdos? pudding bowl and crewcuts  :P (no offense, guys)

Written By: Dagwood on 02/20/05 at 8:03 am

I'm going to say the 90's were worse.  I never got into the baggy look.  And, to me, grunge just looked dirty and stinky.

Written By: chaka on 04/12/05 at 3:31 pm

The early 90s were pretty cool really:everything baggy and dirty ;D
And the best of it all:nobody CARED :D(except for my mom...)
But with all that pop crap in the late 90s,girls all started dressing à la Britney Spears/Xtina >:(
And now it's all Bling Bling,skater,etc..
Damn,I want that grunge look back :\'( :\'( :D

Written By: Todd on 04/13/05 at 1:14 am

90s fashions were such a letdown after the 80s.  There is hope in that some 80s influences are coming back today!  Hopefully, we'll see the last of baggy pants hanging down showing off boxer shorts underneath...ugggghhh..  Overall. 90s fashion was just controlled by lazy people...In the 80s it took some effort to dress up.  But in the 90s..it was all about ease and comfort and sloppiness.  Even rock bands stopped dressing wild onstage and took to flannel shirts and jeans for everything  SO yeah...80s fashions were WAY better than 90s.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 04/13/05 at 2:52 am

One thing I remember clearly from the early 90s was the brief re-emergence of the "goth" look. Black hair does not suit everyone, but try telling that to all the kids who went for the dye! What about the backflash to the 70s circa '94? I rather liked all the crushed velvet and frilly shirts. Tatoos and body piercing became fashionable around the same time. At one time, I had my belly button, nose and eyebrows perced, allong with several earrings.
There is good and bad in every fashion decade, to be sure. My philosophy, since graduating from highschool, is not to be a fashion victim. If I don't like it, I won't wear it, regardless of how "trendy" it might be. 80s fashion was particularly bright and garish, which is why I think so many love to hate it. I like to be reminded of my favourite decade, so fluro it is! :D

Written By: Tam on 04/14/05 at 9:14 am

90's
Hands down!

Written By: DevoRule on 04/16/05 at 1:45 pm

One thing I remember clearly from the early 90s was the brief re-emergence of the "goth" look. Black hair does not suit everyone, but try telling that to all the kids who went for the dye! What about the backflash to the 70s circa '94? I rather liked all the crushed velvet and frilly shirts. Tatoos and body piercing became fashionable around the same time. At one time, I had my belly button, nose and eyebrows perced, allong with several earrings.
There is good and bad in every fashion decade, to be sure. My philosophy, since graduating from highschool, is not to be a fashion victim. If I don't like it, I won't wear it, regardless of how "trendy" it might be. 80s fashion was particularly bright and garish, which is why I think so many love to hate it. I like to be reminded of my favourite decade, so fluro it is! :D

1994 fashion isn't much different from now.  The main differences I can see between 1994 and 2005 is in 94 people seemed to dress less slutty and the body piercings aren't as big now.  Also, one of the few fashions I can remember from the mid 90s was OVERALLS.  Remember when your mom would make you wear those.  Also baseball caps were always backwards.  Today they go any way.

Written By: MarcDaShark on 04/16/05 at 2:41 pm

I usually don't burst like this but, HOW MANY OF HERE ARE COMPLETE RETARDS?????!!!!!!!

Ok, so the grunge look was gross, (thanks to Nirvana)  :P but dammit, I think the 90's fashions were a hell of a lot better than some of the 80's fashions.  The 80's sometimes did have some cool stuff (like the Adidas track suits for the breakdancers  :) )  but a lot of them looked sooo gross.

Today, if I went to school looking like the 80's, people would start rumors about me saying that my mom shops for my clothes at Salvation Army, and that my dog cuts my hair.  And yes, I know that some of the 80s styles are coming back, but those are only the ones that are more tasteful.

The early 90's were ugly but later on it became a lot better.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/16/05 at 3:51 pm

Godddddddd the 80's were shockingly bad.

I had a delightful black corduroy Rah Rah skirt, I must have looked ridiculous  :-[

Written By: fluteysrox829 on 04/16/05 at 6:02 pm

i am sooooo sick of all the 80s clothes i mean i can not find a pair of jeans that aren't ripped 80s fashions suck!!!!!!!!  gees but i have to say the 90s clothes aren't muck better o well :P

Written By: Schillingfan on 04/19/05 at 9:22 pm

I love the 80's look!! My Fashion idol is Peter Schilling, he wore the suit jackets with a pair of slacks or jeans and they looked good on him! I did like the tight-on-my-crotch look from the 70's/80's because I always thought it was better than the baggy look!

Written By: Gis on 04/20/05 at 10:19 am

- crinoline for the ladies, tight pants for the dudes.
            - awesome 80's shades (aviators)
Crinolines ?!? I can't say I remember any crinoline's in the 80's.What is your definition of a crinoline? The few petticoat ruffles under a Ra-ra skirt certainly aren't a crinoline !

Written By: BCRichrocker on 05/29/05 at 8:24 pm

Is this for real? 1970's, oops I meant '90s, but seriously what's the difference??!!

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 05/31/05 at 11:49 am

I LOVE the 80s, I'm 29 and I grew up in the 80s, but if you want my honest opinion----the 80s had some terrible fashions.  I just want to say "yuck!" sometimes.  It also had some very cool fashions too, but for everything cool thing in the 80s there was always something so lame floating around too.  Especially like around 1982-'85.  Yuck.

So my verdict:

The 80s had worse fashions then the 90s.  And I say that with love for the decade I did most of my growing up in.  90s clothes can look outdated, but not neccesarily loud and obnoxious looking.  The 90s had some terrible clothes, but it wasn't as bad. 

The decade that runs away with the ugly contest will always be the 1970s IMO.  The 70s were at times just flat out garish.  There worst of the 80s has NOTHING on the worst of the 70s.  Leisure suits?  The 70s will always be ugly.    

Written By: Brian06 on 10/18/06 at 11:49 pm

'80s, I really don't like '80s fashions. '90s weren't bad for most of the decade.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/19/06 at 12:00 am

'80s, I really don't like '80s fashions. '90s weren't bad for most of the decade.

Yeah, '80s fashoins were defidenly worse than '90s fashoins.

Written By: Nostalgic on 10/19/06 at 3:53 am

It depends really. I thought the '90s had more "style", while the '80s had more "fun".

This is Gucci circa 1995:
http://www.pdngallery.com/20years/fashion/images/19_mario_testino.jpg

Tight pants were just as much "in" as baggy pants during the '90s, especially in the 2nd half of the decade. Bell bottoms were also in, as most of us know. Cargo pants were very popular during the late '90s.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/8/8d/250px-Gucci2.jpg

Remember in Melrose Place when Jane declared that "brown is the new black?"  8) Brown was paired with almost any other colour! And for suits, jackets with three or four buttons and small lapels were big.

During the '80s, a lot of the clothes, make up and hairstyles were influenced by the punk movement, where "anything goes" - contrasting clothing pieces were slapped together for example.

Hair was big and voluminous of course!

http://backintheday.blogharbor.com/80s/images/childabuse.jpg

And wearing different colours at the same time was big, as this collage shows:

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/cosmicprincess/80s2.jpg
Or there was the "preppy" look

Written By: McDonald on 10/19/06 at 10:23 pm

I'm nothing even resembling a fashion authority (I dress like a tw@t). But I do know what I like to see other people wearing.

I think both decades had their finer moments and certainly their lows. The early nineties were terrible for fashion. When I watch old 90210 episodes I laugh out loud.

I like the 80s in fashion in certain ways, particularly New Wave. I like how people weren't afraid to dress plainly, but I hate all the weird colour combinations like bright pink and teal... ugh.

Written By: MewMewkara on 10/20/06 at 5:43 pm

The 90s are worse. There was no creativity. I hate grunge so much. I love the 80's and everything about it. The only thing I don't like fashion wise is parachute pants. Other than that, I like everything else. 80s fashion rocks!

Written By: lizjagger on 10/21/06 at 12:03 am

I'm going with 90s. The 80s were fun and original. In the 90s people just threw on flannel and baggy pants

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/23/06 at 1:40 am

Nostalgic stole my thunder...

All the bimbos in my high school had the big hair thang going.  I think you can still see this in 'Jersey!

What did they call those awful turtleneck anoraks, the ones with the zipper down to the sternum?  If I know what they were called, I could post a pic.

Written By: Lindee on 10/23/06 at 9:36 am

The 90s

Written By: spaceace on 10/23/06 at 7:01 pm

I think the "90's" crowd was recuperating from the "80'" this explains the lack of hairspray, the earth tones, and the "I really don't care if people like how I look attitude.  But the "80's" were a major source of narcissistic fun. 8)

Written By: Brian06 on 10/23/06 at 7:11 pm

I've just always prefered the more toned down '90s style fashion, that's what I grew up with. I always thought that '80s stuff looked really odd, lol.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/23/06 at 7:14 pm

I'm not a fashion expert by any means, but I've always preferred '90s style clothes, so my fashion sense is probably closer to that. Not the overblown c. 1993 messy grunge look or backwards baseball hats, but sorta like a more toned down version of "casual" '90s dressing.

I think I prefer '80s music and '90s atmosphere.

Written By: tv on 11/27/06 at 8:01 pm

I went to High School in the 90's(94-98) and did wear the baggy pants and large shirts. Now I kinda think its kinda passe. I liked Grunge musically when it was going on(92-96) but not that the flannel shirts that went along with that era. I didnt dress goth either look some kids did wither in the 90's when I went to High School with the dark clolored shirts. I don;t know to me the 80's are too over the top fashion wise but the 90's are kinda plain jane looking now fashion wise. I actually prefer 00's fashions compared to the 80's and 90's fashions.

Check for new replies or respond here...