inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the Hair Metal era?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/19/05 at 10:00 pm

I'd say 1986-1990, although it was rather weak in '86 and '90 compared to '87, '88, and '89.  Although some bands were doing it as early as 1983.  I hate all that crap though, I like New Wave.  8) 

Also, would anyone agree Grunge really wasn't a bane to New Wave?  After 1986 New Wave was in a much lesser state than in the early and mid 80s and New Wave didn't totally die until about 1993.  Grunge was more against the poppier 80s stuff imo.  Duran Duran even did a Nirvana remix.

Subject: Re: What was the Hair Metal era?

Written By: woops on 02/19/05 at 10:07 pm

1986... 8)  to 1990... when Nelson came and ruined the whole genre  :P

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/19/05 at 10:08 pm

1986... 8) to 1990... when Nelson came and ruined the whole genre :P

So would it be over in 1991 then? When I do date polls I mean inclusive and not exclusive.

Written By: Webstor on 02/19/05 at 10:32 pm

All I know is.......I woke up for high school one morning, listening to my Bon Jovi and Guns N Roses.......and life was good

That evening I witnessed the premiere of the "Smells like Teen Spirit" Video on MTV

I awoke to a flannel nightmare.......

I came to school...and my reaction was like the scene in Planet of the Apes when Heston sees the statue of Liberty.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/19/05 at 11:12 pm

i wasn't much into hair metal. i liked iron maiden, metallica, metal that had balls. i wouldn't like to lump guns 'n roses into hair metal, hair metal was about fun, songs about girls, love, sex and parties. gun 'n roses had a dark bitter edge, their songs were about what happened after the party, the addictions and pain of living in a big city.

i recall hair metal sputtering to a merciful death in '92. thank god for grunge and bitter reality.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/20/05 at 8:05 am

I went with 84-90, although I still love Hair Metal.

Written By: _adam_ on 02/20/05 at 9:57 am

1983-1989 ,form Def leppard-Pyromania.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/20/05 at 12:04 pm

86-89

Tanya

Check for new replies or respond here...