inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: BEASTIE BOYS ARE NOT AN EIGHTIES BAND!

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 8:38 pm

"Licensed to Ill" might of sold most and left its mark on people most, but when it comes to Beastie's 80s stuff that all there is (I know Paul's Botique is 1989 but I've heard it sounds like their later stuff more than it sounds like Licensed to Ill). 

They are partly eighties, perhaps more than anything else, but come on, Ill Communication is not an "80s holdover".  Only someone who doesn't care for the Beasties beyond Licensed to Ill could say that.  Hell, the B-Boys are still considered cool today.

I'm not bashing Licensed to Ill.  It may very well be the best album of the eighties.  But I like Ill Communication a tad more if not only for "Get it Together", and their other works are good too from what little I've heard. 

The point is, if you call Beastie Boy's 90s stuff "holdovers" to Licensed to Ill you're either not a fan or you have what I call "Classic Syndrome".

Subject: Re: BEASTIE BOYS ARE NOT AN EIGHTIES BAND!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/05 at 10:06 pm

They are an 80's band, but then again their not. While their first album, License To Ill came out in 1986, it really wasn't until Ill Communication came out, that the band was really commerically successfull.

They are still one of my favorite bands, though, and License To Ill is one of my favorite albums they did.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 10:07 pm

They are an 80's band, but then again their not. While their first album, License To Ill came out in 1986, it really wasn't until Ill Communication came out, that the band was really commerically successfull.

They are still one of my favorite bands, though, and License To Ill is one of my favorite albums they did.

I agree 100%, Jamie :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/05 at 10:11 pm

My favorite songs from their first album are:

(Fight For Your Right) To Party
Brass Monkey
No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 10:13 pm

Off the debut I like best:

1. Brass Monkey
2. Fight for Your Right
3. The New Style
4. Rhymin' and Stealin'

Written By: AL-B on 02/21/05 at 2:35 am

The Beasties played in Lincoln right after Licensed To Ill came out. I didn't go to that show, but I remember they really p*ssed a lot of parents off.

Written By: Paul on 02/21/05 at 7:04 am

Heh! I remember the fuss they caused over here, most of which was stirred up by the British tabloids (surprisingly...!)

I'm not sure whether the tag will haunt them (as it did with another certain group), but aren't they a bit old to still call themselves 'Boys'...?!

Written By: Webstor on 02/21/05 at 8:15 am

My fav off of the debut is "Paul Rvere"

Check for new replies or respond here...