inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How much did a NES cost in 1986?

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/22/05 at 9:03 pm

A 'left of field' question. How much (in US dollars) did a Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) cost in 1986? For those of you who remember something like that.How much did each game cartridge cost? (I'm guessing around $30 or $40 US).  I remember how some things were much more expensive than they are today (even considering the exchange rate). I remember the Super Nintendo was like $300 when It first came out. By the time it finally died around 1998 after a mere seven years on the market, they were considered a 'cheap' paperweight. Sometimes I long for the comparative simplicity of 2D platformers like SMB, Donkey Kong.etc. :)

Subject: Re: How much did a NES cost in 1986?

Written By: Webstor on 02/22/05 at 9:07 pm

I remember this because my parents were really hestitant to buy us a Nintendo in 1986 due
to the cost.  I believe ours cost between $125-$150

The games did cost around $40 to $50 depending on how new they were.
I remember having to buy "promissary notes" from Toys R Us prior to Super Mario 2 and 3 being released so that we were on a waiting list to get the games.  They cost like $45 a piece.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/22/05 at 9:25 pm

Didn't get it when it first came out, eventually bought it (the NES, Atari, Super NES, and Genesis Nomad, where the consels I owned, along with my brother. He had the Game Gear and Game Boy).  It originally costed anywhere from $125 - $150 when it was introduced.

There where also "gimmick accesories" that came out later, like the R.O.B. robot, Light Gun, and Power Glove, downside was few games where actually made for it.

Written By: gamer999 on 02/23/05 at 6:38 am

Sometimes I long for the comparative simplicity of 2D platformers like SMB, Donkey Kong.etc.

If you really feel the need to play the "old school" systems and have a relatively modern computer why not try downloading an emulator. They are readily available in cyberspace along with the games.
  Or, if you must have the actual console and game carts, there are plenty available at eBay and other online auctions.
  Personally I feel the older games have a higher entertainment value. I guess without all the cheesy "eye candy" of modern games they had to make them more fun to play back then.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/05 at 4:31 pm

about $100.00 at my Toys R Us back then.

Howard

Written By: 90s boy on 02/28/05 at 8:00 am

NES Came out in 1985

Written By: AL-B on 02/28/05 at 2:02 pm

about $100.00 at my Toys R Us back then.

Howard
I think that's about what I paid for my NES back in 1987.

Check for new replies or respond here...