inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why Devo Are The Kings of New Wave

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/23/05 at 1:13 am

In my mind Devo are the most important New Wave band there is/was.  I have several reasons for this.

Devo formed in 1972 in Akron, Ohio, far before pretty much any American synth pop band.  The only people
making New Wave at this time were people like Kraftwerk.  This was even before disco.

Their (more or less) debut came out in 1978, and as far as I know was an underground hit.  Critics say it is their best work but I'd buy "Freedom of Choice" first.  This album, Are We Not Men?, combines synths and guitar very well and is a New Wave classic.

Devo didn't really hit it big until 1980/81 with their song "Whip It".  If I'm not mistaken, "Freedom of Choice" was also a big hit.  The album, from the songs I've heard off it, is their best work to my mind.

They sounded more synthy as the 80s wore on but they never abandoned their basic sound the way many other New Wave bands did.  I don't know if they're still New Waveish but they still have that nerdy energy they're so known for.  I've never seen them as "trendfollowers" but rather and trendsetters that other bands in the eighties built on.  Devo couldn't really catch up so people dismissed them as a novelty act and moved to other synth bands.

Subject: Re: Why Devo Are The Kings of New Wave

Written By: bendergoonie1985 on 02/23/05 at 5:54 pm

lol, that's cute, it sounds like an essay.  ;)

o, and devo's the bomb.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/23/05 at 5:58 pm

they had a huge influence in the US but there style of music was mostly ignored in the UK. many alternative bands in the 90s cite devo as an inspiration.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/23/05 at 6:59 pm

lol, that's cute, it sounds like an essay.  ;)

o, and devo's the bomb.

Thanks Bender :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/23/05 at 10:14 pm

Yeah, Devo is a great band!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...