inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The King(s) of New Wave

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/23/05 at 1:21 am

I pick Devo of course!

Subject: Re: The King(s) of New Wave

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 02/23/05 at 5:35 am

DURAN DURAN

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/23/05 at 7:41 am

a tie between depeche mode, OMD and ultravox.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/23/05 at 10:44 am

Duran Duran

Tanya

Written By: Bobby on 02/23/05 at 10:50 am

I went for The Cars as they are my favourite of what I consider typical new wave (OMD, Depeche Mode . . .).

I always considered Duran Duran, Ultravox and ABC as New Romantics (even though the two categories merge sometimes).

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/23/05 at 11:47 am

I went for The Cars as they are my favourite of what I consider typical new wave (OMD, Depeche Mode . . .).

I always considered Duran Duran, Ultravox and ABC as New Romantics (even though the two categories merge sometimes).

What are a-ha in your mind?  I've always seen them as synth pop.

-FHF  ;)

Written By: rubixgirl on 02/23/05 at 12:24 pm

Duran Duran

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 02/23/05 at 2:19 pm

hungry like the wolf...ordinary world....of course Duran Duran is my pick!

Written By: woops on 02/23/05 at 3:51 pm

I like most of the bands, but I select Depeche Mode  8)

Written By: Bobby on 02/23/05 at 4:18 pm

What are a-ha in your mind?  I've always seen them as synth pop.

-FHF  ;)

Synth pop is about right, Mike. They were decidely different to be called commercial pop (even though he had a lot of commercial success). I certainly don't class A-ha as new wave (too late for it for a start) which is why, even though I love the group, I didn't vote for them.

I probably class bands like Heaven 17, Talking Heads, Thompson Twins, Flock of Seagulls, Eurythmics and even Human League as new wave.

I am surprised to hear that a lot of people class Culture Club as new wave.  ???

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/23/05 at 4:32 pm

Synth pop is about right, Mike. They were decidely different to be called commercial pop (even though he had a lot of commercial success). I certainly don't class A-ha as new wave (too late for it for a start) which is why, even though I love the group, I didn't vote for them.

I probably class bands like Heaven 17, Talking Heads, Thompson Twins, Flock of Seagulls, Eurythmics and even Human League as new wave.

I am surprised to hear that a lot of people class Culture Club as new wave.  ???

Culture Club are NOT new wave.  They're pop with synth backing.  Wasn't "Take on Me" recorded in 1984?

But yeah a-ha aren't New Wave.  Synth-pop, perhaps New Romantics although they're a bit too late.  They debuted in 1985. Eighties, yes, very much so, but I see them as a late eighties band.  Don't you think they sort of have a fairy tale sound to them, Bobby?

-FHF  ;)

p.s. to any critic or whoever that says a-ha sound like Duran Duran, they do not.  They have a very unique sound imo.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/23/05 at 5:03 pm

Duran Duran

Written By: Bobby on 02/23/05 at 5:07 pm

Culture Club are NOT new wave.  They're pop with synth backing.  Wasn't "Take on Me" recorded in 1984?

Probably, I don't think they were successful with the song first time around. They hit No 2 in Britain in 1985 with the help that incredible video.

But yeah a-ha aren't New Wave.  Synth-pop, perhaps New Romantics although they're a bit too late.  They debuted in 1985. Eighties, yes, very much so, but I see them as a late eighties band.   Don't you think they sort of have a fairy tale sound to them, Bobby?

If they were around a few years before they certainly would have fit into the 'New Romantics' mould. That fairy tale sound you talk of is probably attributed to Morten's vocal technique than anything else. He has an incredibly unique voice, one I haven't heard the likes of since. The lyrics were odd as well which probably added to the feel.

p.s. to any critic or whoever that says a-ha sound like Duran Duran, they do not.  They have a very unique sound imo.

I doubt anyone would argue with you there, Mike. The only thing those two groups have in common is they both did James Bond soundtracks.  ;D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/23/05 at 5:14 pm

Probably, I don't think they were successful with the song first time around. They hit No 2 in Britain in 1985 with the help that incredible video.

If they were around a few years before they certainly would have fit into the 'New Romantics' mould. That fairy tale sound you talk of is probably attributed to Morten's vocal technique than anything else. He has an incredibly unique voice, one I haven't heard the likes of since. The lyrics were odd as well which probably added to the feel.

I doubt anyone would argue with you there, Mike. The only thing those two groups have in common is they both did James Bond soundtracks.  ;D

I know, Harket had an amazing voice.  Too bad you can't understand it half the time.  Do you think a-ha's odd lyrics come partially from translation to English? 

Yeah, those hardcore New Wavers think true New Wave came out from 1982 and before and even in the 70s. 
1985 is way too late to be part of the "movement".

The real genius behind a-ha though is Mags.  He has to be the best keyboard player ever, would any here agree?

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 02/23/05 at 5:44 pm

Culture Club are NOT new wave. 

Yes, they are.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/23/05 at 5:55 pm

Yes, they are.

i agree, they're new wave. new wave isn't just synthesizers, new wave is very broad encompassing many different styles of music.

Written By: bendergoonie1985 on 02/23/05 at 6:00 pm

i had to go w/duran duran, but it was a tough choice. i think my next would be a-ha, and then the cars. the cure (though one of my fav. bands) were too punk-rocky to be my first pick and plus, they launched even further into the 90s. 
man though, they're all so good!  ;)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/23/05 at 7:00 pm

i agree, they're new wave. new wave isn't just synthesizers, new wave is very broad encompassing many different styles of music.

I agree that the Wave isn't just synth stuff.  In fact hardcore Wavers say pure Synth isn't true New Wave.  Culture Club just seem too poppy.

Check for new replies or respond here...