inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '80's Superstars Battle: Journey vs. An '80's Pop Diva...not what you think...

Written By: woops on 02/24/05 at 3:42 am

Journey defeated Iron Maiden, so I have them up against  Cyndi Lauper  8)  :D

Yeah, I like Debbie Gibson, but i doubt she'll knock Journey out of this poll... and I think  Cyndi is quite popular  8)  :D

Subject: Re: '80's Superstars Battle: Journey vs. An '80's Pop Diva...not what you think...

Written By: eightiesfan on 02/24/05 at 7:33 am

Journey!

Subject: Re: '80's Superstars Battle: Journey vs. An '80's Pop Diva...not what you think...

Written By: Jennifer028 on 02/24/05 at 1:46 pm

Cyndi Lauper, my favorite  :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/24/05 at 2:49 pm

Cyndi had a few hits, Journey was on top of Rock Charts for most of 1983...and since I like most Rock better than most Pop I'll go with Steve Perry and Journey. I do like Cyndi though :)

Subject: Re: '80's Superstars Battle: Journey vs. An '80's Pop Diva...not what you think.

Written By: Tammy82 on 02/24/05 at 2:54 pm

Journey!

Written By: woops on 02/24/05 at 2:56 pm

Cyndi had a few hits, Journey was on top of Rock Charts for most of 1983...and since I like most Rock better than most Pop I'll go with Steve Perry and Journey. I do like Cyndi though :)

Slightly off topic, but I've always considered Journey a '70's band since they're nothing like Def Leppard, Bon Jovi nor even close to new wave bands, though a couple were around in the '70's, like The Police & The Cars.

They're sound are more close to bands like Chicago (when they were cool) and great bands like Aerosmith & Queen.

Even by their image, Journey is more '70's like Nirvana is more '90's, though they formed in 1987 & released "Bleach" in 1989.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/24/05 at 3:24 pm

Slightly off topic, but I've always considered Journey a '70's band since they're nothing like Def Leppard, Bon Jovi nor even close to new wave bands, though a couple were around in the '70's, like The Police & The Cars.

They're sound are more close to bands like Chicago (when they were cool) and great bands like Aerosmith & Queen.

Even by their image, Journey is more '70's like Nirvana is more '90's, though they formed in 1987 & released "Bleach" in 1989.
They gained chart success in 1978 but late '79 early '80 and the hit "Any Way You Want It" got them rolling, they followed that up with the Escape LP in 1981 which netted them 5 hits:
Don't Stop Believin, Stone In Love, Who's Crying Now, Still They Ride and Open Arms...then on to 1983's "Frontiers" LP which gave them 5 more hits with Separate Ways (Worlds Apart), Send Her My Love, Chain Reaction, After The Fall and Faithfully to 1986s' Raised On Radio which had I'll Be Alright Without You, and Girl Can't Help It....so though just my opinion, since they were around with Steve Perry longer in the 80's and they had a lot of hits, I consider them an 80's band ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 02/24/05 at 6:23 pm

Journey

Written By: woops on 02/24/05 at 6:26 pm

I think I should've gotten The Police or a harder & popular '80's rock band Guns N' Roses  8)  :D

Three in a row: Journey

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/24/05 at 7:52 pm

I went with Cyndi!

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/24/05 at 9:01 pm

I think I should've gotten The Police or a harder & popular '80's rock band Guns N' Roses  8)  :D

Three in a row: Journey

Naw...Axl Rose is a jerk...causing a riot when they toured with Metallica...AND he beats women :P The Police are one of my faves but "Stink" lost all my respect when he basically "Deserted" his band mates in 1984...with no warning >:(

Written By: AchtungBaby on 02/24/05 at 9:08 pm

Naw...Axl Rose is a jerk...causing a riot when they toured with Metallica...AND he beats women :P The Police are one of my faves but "Stink" lost all my respect when he basically "Deserted" his band mates in 1984...with no warning >:(

I agree that Axl is and always will be a jerk - Sting on the other hand - while he did desert them  :-[, I think between Stewart Copeland and Sting - if they stayed together one of them would not be around - considering the battles that they had.  The one I felt really sorry for was Andy Summers - great guitar player. :)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/24/05 at 9:16 pm

i'll vote the lesser of two evils...cyndi lauper

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/24/05 at 9:22 pm

i'll vote the lesser of two evils...cyndi lauper
and that would be your opinion...thus I respect it ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/24/05 at 9:26 pm

I agree that Axl is and always will be a jerk - Sting on the other hand - while he did desert them  :-Sad isn't it...he just took off. I saw a thing on VH1 a few years ago and both Andy and Stuart were recalling it...they were shocked..."Stink" is an egotistical tool...In thiers and MY opinion :-\\

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/24/05 at 9:35 pm

and that would be your opinion...thus I respect it ;)

:) well, journey has to be taken down. i said before i like a few of there songs so it's not all bad.

Subject: Re: '80's Superstars Battle: Journey vs. An '80's Pop Diva...not what you think.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/25/05 at 9:49 am

:) well, journey has to be taken down. i said before i like a few of there songs so it's not all bad.
That's cool that you at least admit they aren't all that bad ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/09/05 at 5:42 pm

Lest it be forgotten that Journey is kicking butt again.....*Bump*http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/music049.gif

Written By: Atari on 03/11/05 at 11:28 am

Lest it be forgotten that Journey is kicking butt again.....*Bump*http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/music049.gif

Yeah... their newer stuff is good. I don't listen to it with the mindset that it's the Journey of old, though. That helps me to avoid the inevitable comparison issues. Arrival is a great disc that I find myself popping in frequently, as well as their 2001 live DVD.

But for that true 80s vibe, nothing beats Frontiers and Escape! My vote goes to Journey, although I like Cyndi's music too.

Check for new replies or respond here...