inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Journey an '80's Band?

Written By: woops on 02/27/05 at 5:26 pm

IMO, Journey is more of a '70's band since they sounded NOTHING like Def Leppard & Bon Jovi and not even close to new wave, which I know most were around in the  '70's, like Talking Heads and The Cars.

They're sound is more close to bands like Chicago, Foghat, and legends like Aerosmith & Queen. Though sound, IMHO, like a constipated donkey.  :P

That goes to other, and BETTER, bands like Foreigner & Styx, which  had decent hits in the early '80's.  :)

Though Journey gave '70's rock a bad name...  ::)

Subject: Re: Is Journey an '80's Band?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/27/05 at 5:38 pm

70's.

Written By: RojoP on 02/27/05 at 9:11 pm

IMO
I think of Journey as both a 70's and 80's band.

Journey in the 70's really consisted of Greg Rolie (keyboards/vocals), Aynsley Dunbar (drums), Ross Valory (bass) and Neal Schon (guitar).  They had more of a Santana feel - mostly due to Greg Rolie and Neal Schon were former members of that group.  Steve Perry did not join the band until the late 70's.

Journey in the 80's became more pop/ballad oriented with the addition of Jonathan Cain on keyboards.  They had more hits and one of the best albums IMO (Escape).

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/27/05 at 9:20 pm

More hits in the 80's...WAY more...so I'd say an 80's band...or at least both

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/27/05 at 9:30 pm

70s.  There boring and not fun and campy.

-FHF  ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/28/05 at 6:32 am

No, they're more of a '70's band

Written By: woops on 02/28/05 at 8:30 pm

>BUMP<

:D

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/09/05 at 8:54 am

BUMP

Probably both, but overall it depends on which era. "Lights" or "Lovin' Touchin Squeezin" are more 70's classic rock styled. Though they started out in the 70's (even Steve Perry joined around 1978), they did have songs into the 80's that were very of the era too.

In fact, alot of older artists/bands updated their sound in the 80's, which is one thing I always felt was cool!

Not to nitpick (although you'll soon find I'm a natural-born nitpicker with just about anything, hehe), but Bon Jovi or Def Leppard are a litlte different sounding to me. Those bands are more pop type heavy metal, whereas Journey seemed closer to stuff like Foreigner, Eddie Money, etc. Sorta halfway between pop and hard rock -- or what they called "arena rock" in the 80's.

That all said, though, songs like "Girl Can't Help it" and "Send Her my Love" are definitely 80's sounding (my favorite era of the band, even though most people I know wouldn't agree!). :D

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 03/09/05 at 1:46 pm

Late '70's/Early '80's

Written By: Atari on 03/11/05 at 11:33 am

BUMP BUMP. :)

As for the question, I think it depends on which era. "Lights" or "Lovin' Touchin Squeezin" are more 70's classic rock styled. Though they started out in the 70's (even Steve Perry joined around 1977/78), they did have songs into the 80's that were very of the era.

(In fact, alot of older artists/bands updated their sound in the 80's, which is one thing I always felt was cool!)

Not to nitpick (although you'll soon find I'm a natural-born nitpicker with just about anything, hehe), but Bon Jovi or Def Leppard are a litlte different sounding to me. Those bands are more commercial pop/metal, whereas Journey seemed closer to stuff like Foreigner, Eddie Money, etc -- sorta halfway between pop/rock and hard rock (or what they called arena rock in the 80's).

That all said, though, songs like "Girl Can't Help it" and "Send Her my Love" are definitely 80's sounding (my favorite era of the band, even though most people I know wouldn't agree!). :D

I like Steve's voice on Raised on Radio more than on other recordings. He hated the fact that he lost his soprano, but I like the edge that his rasp gave his voice. It added a lot of character and originality to his sound. It's just too bad he had so many demons that he had to take the band down with him. At least they're still going, even if they are paying Perry off to do so :(

That all said, I would consider them an 80s band, but only due to the fact that they had their greatest success during the 80s. The 70s were good to the band, but they never charted very high, even if their singles were quite popular. My greatest memories of them was hearing Who's Crying Now the first time, and cruising around cranking Frontiers on my tape deck. All in the 80s :)

Written By: Davester on 03/11/05 at 3:04 pm

IMO, Journey is more of a '70's band since they sounded NOTHING like Def Leppard & Bon Jovi and not even close to new wave, which I know most were around in the  '70's, like Talking Heads and The Cars.

They're sound is more close to bands like Chicago, Foghat, and legends like Aerosmith & Queen. Though sound, IMHO, like a constipated donkey.  :P

That goes to other, and BETTER, bands like Foreigner & Styx, which  had decent hits in the early '80's.  :)

Though Journey gave '70's rock a bad name...  ::)

Have you ever listened to the elusive Journey first album?  Different?  Yes.  Kick a** 70's rock?  You betcha!  Journey wasn't always Steve Perry (I'm assuming that's the era you're referring-to) although he fronted through most of the band's history.

I get the distinct impression you're not a fan of the band which is cool...Journey was "created", almost overnight, by the late Bill Graham (not the televangelist but the rock promoter) much the same way many contemporary overnight sensations are today...Journey's longevity, I think, was a pleasant suprise for everyone.

Next time you visit your favorite music store and you arrive at the "Journey" section (or the sections of any other ling-lived classic rock artist) of the CD display, resist the urge to grab the first CD in the stack (that would be the one nearest you).  Flip through the stack and grab one from the back...the ones that appear as though they've been sitting in that store since before Moses and are usually labelled "Super-Duper-Saver-Priced-Because-It-Will-Likely-Not-See-The-Light-Of-Day-And-We're-Trying-To-Get-It-Off-Our-Hands". 
  Many of these forgotten classics just may suprise you.

Or not...

Written By: Davester on 03/11/05 at 3:05 pm

Oh, one more thing, the poll...

70's/80's band...next question..?

Written By: Atari on 03/11/05 at 11:47 pm

...Journey was "created", almost overnight, by the late Bill Graham (not the televangelist but the rock promoter) much the same way many contemporary overnight sensations are today...

Actually, Herbie Herbert, who was a Santana roadie, created Journey around then-young guitarist Neal Schon. And of course, Greg Rolie was the only consideration for the keyboard slot then. Herbert became their manager and built up a sizable business around the band. There's a great story about the band's origins in the Time3 boxset booklet. There's also a great (but VERY bitter) interview with Herbie at http://members.cox.net/mrcarty/

Written By: whistledog on 12/03/05 at 12:06 am

Journey are definately an 80's band.  They only had 5 hits in the 70's, compared to 19 hits in the 80's.  Through all the changes in styles of music in the 80's, they didn't stop.  Their last big album was 1986's Raised on Radio which launched 4 singles into the Top 20 :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/03/05 at 12:49 am

Doesn't really matter to me what you call them, I like all their stuff.  Unfortunately I didn't get to see them when Perry was still singing with them, I saw them in like 1998/1999 just after Steve Augeri started singing for them.  While Augeri held his own, I am in love with Perry's voice...

Great songs, great memories.

Check for new replies or respond here...