inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1988

Written By: 90s boy on 02/28/05 at 8:03 am

1988 was this the year nothing relley big happen i mean no one relly looks back on it an di was born in 1988 :\'(

Subject: Re: 1988

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/28/05 at 8:22 am

nothing big happened.. nothing big?

1988 was the most important year in the Hisytory of the world.. after all, in what other year was the most charismatic showman ever born?

Written By: 90s boy on 02/28/05 at 9:16 am

good pont heh but more people should look back at that year when they tlak about the 80's insted of tlaking about 1986 1984 1989 1985 i relly wanna see people tlaking about 1988

Written By: Kenosha on 02/28/05 at 9:48 am

What are talking about? I graduated high school in 1988. See something big did happen.

Written By: OliverDK on 02/28/05 at 9:54 am

good pont heh but more people should look back at that year when they tlak about the 80's insted of tlaking about 1986 1984 1989 1985 i relly wanna see people tlaking about 1988

1988 was a cool year; I turned seventeen, stopped being a virgin, saw Iron Maiden, Mötley Crüe and Alice Cooper live, and I got my first bike, an old 650cc Triumph Bonneville, all in all a pretty good year.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/28/05 at 12:33 pm

1988? Wasn't around but here's what it was like from what I've heard:

Politics: Reagan's last year, "Read my lips, No New Taxes" and Bush Sr. wins election  :P    Cold War will end in about 2 years or so.

Movies of Note: Big, Rain Man, The Land Before Time, Uncle Buck (1989 but I think it was made 88), Ernest Christmas.  I'm sure there's many others.

Music:  Hair metal was really big in 1988, perhaps more than in any other year as in 89-90 it was in its last yrs. and it only picked up around '86 or so.  New Wave was pretty much dead although you still had some synth pop.  Latin music was very popular in 1988 much like it was in 1984.  Also Rap was getting very hip.

Popular TV shows: Cosby Show, Growing Pains, Rosanne, Married ... with Children, Night Court, Who's the Boss?, Yo! MTV raps

Slang: Pretty much the same as the stereotypical 80s I guess, although I bet the early 80s Valley Girl slang was dying out by then.

Written By: woops on 02/28/05 at 3:16 pm

1988:

Movies:

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit"  :D

Music:

Deborah (Debbie) Gibson  became the youngest artist to write, produce, and record a #1 hit with "Foolish Beat", which the record still holds today.

INXS' "Need You Tonight/Mediate" won the 'Video of the Year' award at the 1988 Video Music Awards

Written By: Howard on 02/28/05 at 4:08 pm

I started High School in 1988

Howard

Written By: woops on 02/28/05 at 4:25 pm

Another TV show that debuted was the '60's nostalic dramedy "The Wonder Years"  :)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/28/05 at 4:26 pm

Another TV show that debuted was the '60's nostalic dramedy "The Wonder Years"  :)

I LOVE the Wonder Years!  Got me into a 60s craze for awhile.  Now I'm digging the 80s.  ;)

-FHF  :D

Written By: AchtungBaby on 02/28/05 at 4:56 pm

What are talking about? I graduated high school in 1988. See something big did happen.

Same here !!!! :)

Written By: 90s boy on 03/01/05 at 11:44 am

Paula Abdul Ventured in to the Music Bizz

Hair Criping was the next wave of big hair

Sholder Pad and Office sutes were big also mainey seen on Murphy Brown wich started it first Sesion that year

Bettile Juce Bettile Juce Bettile Juce!!!!!!!!!!!

Jody Watley Won Best New Artst and the 1988 Grammeys

Madonna Did Brodway and got a Divorce that year

Gina Davies Became a well known atrices staring in 3 movies t hat year

Written By: woops on 08/24/05 at 10:32 pm

>BUMP<  :)

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/7255/fb02.jpg

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/24/05 at 11:53 pm

FullHousefan summed the feel of 1988 up very well, so I'd be remiss to say too much else there.

I think 1988 was my favorite personal experience year of the 80's - though it's a tie between that and '87. I was still a little kid (a slightly older little kid, at 6-7 years old) but old enough to be pretty much aware of everything going on around me -- playing Nintendo games, going on family trips and having a nice time in first/second grade and digging the new songs coming out -- but still young enough to not worry too much about life.

It was the perfect time. ;)

Even by 1991 I wanted 1988 back so badly (it's a long story but my life and that of my family did ALOT of changing from the second half of 1989 and through most of the 90's - maybe that's another reason I've been so nostalgic for the 80's).

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/25/05 at 12:48 am

1988 was this the year nothing relley big happen i mean no one relly looks back on it an di was born in 1988 :\'(

Couldn't disagree with you more, but i'd expect that sort of comment from someone who wasn't even there. No offence, but nothing more annoying than Gen Xers that talk about the era & think they know what they are talking about, as if they were there. Well everyone elses posts on this topic should be a bit of a history lesson for ya.

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/25/05 at 1:02 am

1988 was a cool year; I turned eighteen, stopped being a virgin, saw Iron Maiden, Mötley Crüe and Alice Cooper live, and I got my first bike, an old 650cc Triumph Bonneville, all in all a pretyy good year.

That would have been their Seventh Tour Of A Seventh Tour, that would  have been absolutly awesome. I missed out on every one of those concerts that year.  :\'( Got the Maiden England VHS from that year though, but it's the England shows. Goin to see Motley at the end of the year in December & saw Alice Cooper this year, but i didn't like the new age sound his guitarist had as opposed to a more 80s or even 70s sound. Obviously his sound setup for his equipment wasn't suited for for those songs & that occasion & he looked like one of the new school punker tools. Could have sounded better, but the show itself was great & the drummer Vinnie Vincent was fu*kin unbelievable. 

Written By: rich1981 on 08/25/05 at 1:06 am

1988 was a great time as I was in my first grade going into the second, most of the tv I watched was mixed going from Sesame Street/Mr. Rogers to The Price Is Right/Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy! This was also the period when I started to watch more saturday morning cartoons such as Garfield and Looney Tunes. I only knew the bare minimal in technology at the time but I was shown the computer lab filled with old Macs with simple games.

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/25/05 at 2:48 am

8)  OMG...Retro..and Cafe..What are we going to do with these PPLE!!! 1988..NOTHING???? obviously...they were not in the mix...BABIES!!!  Retro..88 was a great year for you..HeeHee...Sev turning points in life..sexual awakening..bada## concerts...WAY COOL>>>.  CAFE....I love your Honesty....these KIDS...Need to post on the 90s....if you didnt expierience it...dont try to write about it or complain...write what u know about................. ::)

Written By: 90s boy on 08/25/05 at 3:40 am

were there any famous people born in 1988??? beside the kid in the sixth sense and Joss Stone

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/25/05 at 3:49 am

8) OMG...Retro..and Cafe..What are we going to do with these PPLE!!! 1988..NOTHING???? obviously...they were not in the mix...BABIES!!! Retro..88 was a great year for you..HeeHee...Sev turning points in life..sexual awakening..bada## concerts...WAY COOL>>>. CAFE....I love your Honesty....these KIDS...Need to post on the 90s....if you didnt expierience it...dont try to write about it or complain...write what u know about................. ::)

Ahh, give the guy a break. :D

Theoretically someone could say the same about me, LOL! I was born in '81 but I actually have always preferred the first half of the 80's (even though I obviously remember the later part better - anything since about late '86 is pretty clear to me). ;)

The TOTAL "80s" 80's was more from late 1981 to 1986 and maybe '87 to a lesser extent. That period is the real "caricature" part of the decade - watch any flashback show, or a movie that takes place in the 80's (eg: Wedding Singer) and that whole Pac Man, early MTV, Miami Vice and legwarmers era is what is popularized.

Especially stuff around 1984 - that was the absolute peak of the 80's pop culture. The "early" 80s peak was probably 1982 - that's definitely more "80s" than 1988. By then, it was more of a late 80s-ish atmosphere. The 80's was still around of course, but it wasn't in full force, if that makes sense. ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/25/05 at 3:53 am

I thought Joss Stone was born in 1987? I could be wrong..

I remember starting first grade that year, too.  I also remember going to Lake Shasta with my aunts and uncles on a houseboat for a long week of total boredom. All I remember is listening  to a lot Phil Collins and finally getting to take a dip into the water after days of just sitting and doing nothing..

Don't forget the Olympics that year, which I believe Brian Boitano won the Gold. I remember that year very well and I would say it was a good year from what I remember.

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/25/05 at 7:35 am

In 1988, I was 17 and getting ready to enter my senior year of high school - some things I remember about that period:

the big fads were "Baby on Board" signs and those stuffed Garfields with the plastic things on its paws that people stuck on their car windows

TV:  I watched a lot of daytime soaps when I was in high school - this was when the term "supercouple" was in vogue to describe a very popular couple on the show (i.e. Cruz & Eden on Santa Barbara); you can currently see reruns of Another World from the late 80's on SoapNet, brings back a lot of memories for me.  Also, Ray Combs made his debut as the new host of Family Feud (personally, I thought he was much funnier than Richard Dawson) Oh, and Thirtysomething was THE big yuppie show.

Music: I think there was an eclectic variety of music around 1988-89, like pop, early rap/hip-hop, big hair bands, and the beginnings of what would be known as Alternative with artists like REM, Jane's Addiction, and 10,000 Maniacs

One of the hottest new board games out that year was Pictionary - there was also a game show sort of based on that game, called
Win, Lose or Draw.

Written By: george78 on 08/25/05 at 12:48 pm

Completely off topic, but 90s boy, I've read a lot of your posts.......come on, use spell check at the end of your posts.

Written By: Magnum,PI {2} on 08/25/05 at 2:12 pm

1988 was terrible :\'( Magnum PI ended :\'(

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/25/05 at 2:58 pm

1988 was terrible :\'( Magnum PI ended :\'(

;D You really love your Magnum PI don't you. I guess i gotta appreciate that enthusiasm & loyalty to one show in particular & even after all these years of not being on the air.

Written By: Cafe80s on 08/25/05 at 3:02 pm

Ahh, give the guy a break. :D

Theoretically someone could say the same about me, LOL! I was born in '81 but I actually have always preferred the first half of the 80's (even though I obviously remember the later part better - anything since about late '86 is pretty clear to me). ;)

The TOTAL "80s" 80's was more from late 1981 to 1986 and maybe '87 to a lesser extent. That period is the real "caricature" part of the decade - watch any flashback show, or a movie that takes place in the 80's (eg: Wedding Singer) and that whole Pac Man, early MTV, Miami Vice and legwarmers era is what is popularized.

Especially stuff around 1984 - that was the absolute peak of the 80's pop culture. The "early" 80s peak was probably 1982 - that's definitely more "80s" than 1988. By then, it was more of a late 80s-ish atmosphere. The 80's was still around of course, but it wasn't in full force, if that makes sense. ;)

Yeah i guess i should give the poor guy a break. I guess he's just curious about an era he can't remember all that well & he's probably wanting our thoughts on it. I'm very brutally honest & sometimes i can be a bit harsh.

Written By: 90s boy on 08/25/05 at 4:33 pm

Completely off topic, but 90s boy, I've read a lot of your posts.......come on, use spell check at the end of your posts.

i use to never use but i use it now you were reading some of my old posts i made

Written By: 90s boy on 08/25/05 at 4:33 pm

I thought Joss Stone was born in 1987? I could be wrong..

I remember starting first grade that year, too.  I also remember going to Lake Shasta with my aunts and uncles on a houseboat for a long week of total boredom. All I remember is listening  to a lot Phil Collins and finally getting to take a dip into the water after days of just sitting and doing nothing..

Don't forget the Olympics that year, which I believe Brian Boitano won the Gold. I remember that year very well and I would say it was a good year from what I remember.

i think she was born in 1988

Written By: Gis on 08/25/05 at 4:45 pm

1987 to 1989 I was having the time of my life !

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/25/05 at 11:00 pm

8) Yep..Cafe I can be a bit harsh as well...I guess others are curious..it was such an awesome time and if you werent in the middle of it...well...you really missed out!!...But my parents say that about the times they had the most fun...Most of all..WOODSTOCK...OMG..can you imagine being there???  If only I could go back a day in time...WOW!!!

Written By: OliverDK on 08/26/05 at 6:41 am

But my parents say that about the times they had the most fun...Most of all..WOODSTOCK...OMG..can you imagine being there???  If only I could go back a day in time...WOW!!!

You are SOOOOOOOOOOO right Green; I too would love to have expirienced Woodstock, unfortunetly I was born too late but I was lucky enough to get the triple Woodstock album last year, okay it's not the same as being there but it's as close as I'll ever get.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 08/26/05 at 5:34 pm

Does anyone remember the 1988 craze over the Nintendo game Super Mario Bros. 2? At the time, it was the most anticipated video game ever. When it was released, it was very hard to get. It just flew off the shelves. I remember having to go to a friend's house to play it. He was the only person at my school who bought it that first week of release. 1988 was also the year Guns N Roses released their much anticipated album 'Lies'. They are only the 2nd band to have 2 albums in the Top 5 at the same time. GNR achieved this twice. The 1960's band Iron Butterfly is the only other band with that accomplishment. This record still stands.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 08/26/05 at 6:45 pm

In 1988 I was 12, 13 years old.  In the fall of 1988 I started 8th grade.  Middle school was fun, or as it was called back then..."junior high".  I remember, for the most part, the entire 80s, but I am more of an expert on the late 80s.  A lot of my teachers back then were pregnant, it's hard to believe those babies are seniors in high school or already in college now.  I wonder what some of those young 20 something/early 30s teachers I had look like now, quite a few of them were beautiful, they probably look middle aged today.

I was deeply into Nintendo and Sega.  I remember the anticipation for Super Mario Bros. 2 as well.    :)   Ahh, those old 8 bit systems.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/26/05 at 8:08 pm

Does anyone remember the 1988 craze over the Nintendo game Super Mario Bros. 2? At the time, it was the most anticipated video game ever. When it was released, it was very hard to get. It just flew off the shelves. I remember having to go to a friend's house to play it. He was the only person at my school who bought it that first week of release. 1988 was also the year Guns N Roses released their much anticipated album 'Lies'. They are only the 2nd band to have 2 albums in the Top 5 at the same time. GNR achieved this twice. The 1960's band Iron Butterfly is the only other band with that accomplishment. This record still stands.

Ironically I don't recall that about SMB 2, but I'm right there with anyone who loved that game.

It's similar to the Zelda's, in that the 2nd game was the slightly different or "out of place" one in the series. The original SMB was just a far more primitive version of my absolute favorite, SMB 3 - eight levels, mostly side scrolling, same general things to do. #3 added far more things that made it interesting, such as the card flipover games, loads of extra items and a different "world" with each level.

But it basically was the same game with the same storyline.

However, SMB 2 had things the others didn't. You could be any of 4 characters (Mariol Luigi, Toad and the Princess). You also could do unique things, like pull grass up for coins or enter those doors with magic potions for 5-6 seconds. It actually was the toughest one to beat IMO - that made it all the more satisfying when I finally did. :)

Written By: tv on 08/27/05 at 2:31 pm

1988: I was 9 years old I think then. I would be going into 3rd grade 17 years ago at this time. I remember hearing songs like "Prove Your Love" by Taylor Dayne, "Rythm's gonna Get You" by Gloria Estefan, "Out Of The Blue" by Debbie Gibson, and "I Got My Mind Set On You" by George Benson that summer. I think I went to the Jersey shore with my Aunt that year. That was a fun a summer just the trip to the shore. I think I went to the shore again for one day too that summer. I used to love Seaside Heights on the Jersey Shore. I think it has changed too much for the worse though.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/27/05 at 2:55 pm

"I Got My Mind Set On You" by George Benson that summer.

Errrr, that was George Harrison.   8)

I remember 1988 very clearly.  That was when I was sent to Japan for the first time.  7 months, living on the northern end of Okinawa.

Jimmy Swaggart confessed to having an affair with a prostitute, and the Supreme Court sided with Larry Flynt when he was sued by Jerry Falwell.

In April, the USS Roberts stuck an Iranian mine in the Persian Gulf.  It was escourting Kuwaiti oil tankers during the Iran-Iraq War.  3 months later, the USS Vincennes shot down an Iranian jet liner.  9 months later, the Commander of the ship's wife was seriously injured when a pipe bomb exploded under her minivan.

The Soviet Army began it's withdrawl from Afganistan.

Wayne Gretzky was traded from the Oilers to the LA Kings.  Canadians found yet another reason to hate Americans.

The President of Pakistan and US Ambassador to Pakistan were killed in a plane crash.  3 months later, Benazir Bhutto is elected President, the first female to ever lead an Islamic dominated country.

The Iran-Iraq war ends.

Merhan Kanmi Nasseri gets stuck in the Charles De Gaulle Airport.  16 years later his story is fictionalized in the movie The Terminal, with Tom Hanks playing him.  17 years later, he is still living in the airport.

NASA resumes space shuttle flights, the first time since the 1986 Challenger disaster.

The Soviet Space Shuttle Buran is launched for it's first and only flight.  The flight was unmanned, being launched and recovered by remote control.

The B-2 Stealth Bomber is revealed to the public for the first time.

The Consumer Product Safety Comission outlaws the sale of Lawn Darts.

Pan-Am Flight 103 was blown up over Lockerbie, Scotland.  270 are killed, and eventually the act is tracked back to terrorists sponsored by Lybia.

Al-Queda is created by Osama bin Laden.

Deaths that year include Gregory "Pappy" Boyington, Divine, Andy Gibb, Robert Heinlein, Kim Philby, Sammy Davis Jr, John Houseman, Louis L'Amour, and Roy Orbison.

UN Peace-Keeping Forces win the Nobel Peace Prize.

Rain Man, Big, Coming To America, Mississippi Burning, Twins, Moonwalker, Die Hard, and The Naked Gun are big movies.

Who Shot JR?

Geraldo Rivera's nose is broken after an on-stage fight between Tom Metzger and Roy Innis.

The "California Raisins" are the big hit of the year.  "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" returns to the Billboard Top 100 after the commercial revives interest in the song.

America's Most Wanted, Roseanne, MST3K, and Red Dwarf all have their debut.

Magnum PI, The Facts Of Life, SOlid Gold, Fraggle Rock, Punky Brewster, and SLedge Hammer! all go off the air.

Alfred Uhrt wins the Pulitzer Prize for Drama for Driving Miss Daisy.

The Morris Worm is released on the internet.  Written by a Cornell University student, it brought down the entire internet for days, and cost between $10-100 million in damage.

Los Angeles wins both the World Series, and the NBA CHampionships.

Steffi Graf becomes the first woman to ever win the tennis Grand SLam.

Ben Johnson of Canada wins Gold Medals in the Seol Olympics.  Two days later they are stripped after drug tests reveal banned substences.

Susan Butcher wins the Iditarod Dog-sled Race for the 3rd time in a row.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 07/28/21 at 6:55 pm

1988 is probably the 1980s year that I like the most. "Trouble Is" by a hardcore band, Dag Nasty, is released this year.

Written By: SpaceHog on 07/29/21 at 9:27 am

I was born on November 1st of that year.

Check for new replies or respond here...