inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which Cheers star do you like best - Shelley Long or Kirstie Alley?

Written By: eightiesfan on 03/01/05 at 4:08 pm

I thought both actresses were great on Cheers, but I'm more partial to the Shelley Long episodes.  :)

Subject: Re: Which Cheers star do you like best - Shelley Long or Kirstie Alley?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/01/05 at 4:14 pm

I like the episodes that contain Shelly Long...however, I think she was soooo annoying!! She had the most whining voice!

Erin  :D

Subject: Re: Which Cheers star do you like best - Shelley Long or Kirstie Alley?

Written By: Jennifer028 on 03/01/05 at 5:02 pm

Kirstie Alley...although she's kinda nutty now  :o

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/01/05 at 7:28 pm

They both brought something to the show. I voted both, but I'm leaning more towards Shelley ("Diane").

Tanya

Written By: Niko101 on 03/02/05 at 2:03 am

Kirstie for me. I was more than ready for Shelley to leave the show.

Written By: 90s boy on 03/02/05 at 4:23 am

Kirstie Alley Shelley long/Dian got on my nevers lol

Written By: ski_luvr on 03/02/05 at 11:40 am

Shelly Long

Written By: Doc Brown on 03/02/05 at 3:14 pm

Definitely Rebecca. I used to think she was a golddigger, but looking at the shows again, I'm pretty sure she just got tired of working her tail off and getting ignored(by everyone but Sam!)

I hated Diane, she was nothing but a pretentious barmaid and wanna-be dilletante who never seemed to get that you need a little thing called talent to earn a place among the sophisticated.

BTW, what's next, Coach vs. Woody  :D?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Satish on 03/02/05 at 4:02 pm

Kirstie for me. She had more attitude, and the show got better in the seasons when she was on it.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 03/02/05 at 5:00 pm

Shelley Long, I stop watching it because she left.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/02/05 at 5:13 pm

I'm going to say Kirstie Alley, because I think the show was funnier when she was on.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/02/05 at 5:23 pm

Both

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/07/06 at 2:28 pm

I always thought Shelly was cuter. This may be an urban legend, but I remember hearing that Jane Palley beat her out of the posistion on the Today show (later to be replaced by Katie Curic)? 

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/06 at 2:29 pm

I liked Kirstie Alley better.  I always thought she was gorgeous, and I still do  :-*

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/07/06 at 2:36 pm

I liked Kirstie Alley better.  I always thought she was gorgeous, and I still do  :-*

Yeah, Kirste was sexier. She almost had a Kathleen Turner thing going on. I generally go for the cute ones though.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/07/06 at 7:53 pm

Definitely Kirstie as Rebecca Howell... I didn't start watching the show until she joined the cast! :)

Written By: KKay on 06/07/06 at 10:08 pm

shelly long played  a role that was a foil to Sam's oversexed libido...
Kirstie was just plain funny in her own right. I like her best.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/07/06 at 10:42 pm

Shelley Long.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/08/06 at 12:04 am

Shelley Long.

Though the show recovered quite nicely after the loss of "Diane." "Rebecca Howe" wasn't likable, but come to think of it, neither was "Diane Chambers." In fact, when I see the reruns with "Diane," she REALLY reminds me of a dizzy girlfriend I had in the '90s, they even look a lot alike, and like Diane, Sonja had a psychiatric history. My compunction is in the way I let myself get so obsessed with the beautiful and dizzy Sonja that when everything fell apart, I found myself driving around and "eyeing bridges," if you know what I mean.
:-[  :D

Uh, back to "Cheers," I think what I liked so much about "Cheers" is how, like "Seinfeld," none of the characters were likable.
Diane is pretentious and flaky, Sam is an insecure male chauvinist, Rebecca is a shallow gold-digger, Cliff is a f*cking idiot who never shuts up, Norm is a slob who drowns his marital problems in beer, and Carla is mean-spirited and ignorant. The only one's who were semi-likable were Coach and Woody because they were cutely clueless, and Robin Colcord. The Colcord character was the least understood "Cheers" character (he was also played by Roger Rees, the best actor ever on that show). The point about Colcord was less about him being a jet-setting billionaire, and more about him seeing through Rebecca's ulterior motives and Sam's B.S.

Check for new replies or respond here...