inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Stock Aitken Waterman

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/03/05 at 9:04 am

I think they were the worst producers of the 80's. The worst Artist to get produced by them was the embarrasing Sonia. You'll Never Stop Me Loving You" was the worst single of the 80's.

Subject: Re: Stock Aitken Waterman

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 03/03/05 at 9:31 am

I couldn't agree with you more. Sonia was sad sad SAAAAD! Just as well she was a 1 hit wonder! Apart from Dead Or Alive, Stockcube Ancient and Wateringcan were an embarraswement. Simon Cowell thinks they're genuses, proves how much he knows! Gotta love Morris Minor And The Majors for their little dig in the form of "This Is The Chorus"

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/03/05 at 10:05 am

All I can say is that Simon Cowell has a pathetic taste in music if he thinks they are geniuses.

Written By: Alice on 03/04/05 at 5:01 pm

Agreed wholeheartedly, Dave! Stock Aitken & Waterman were not just the worst songwriting team of the '80s but of all time too. They ruined Pop music forever. I can count on my one hand's fingers the songs they wrote I actually like. Kylie Minogue's "I Should Be So Lucky" (1987) made/makes me vomit. I bloody can't stand Pete Waterman at all.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/05/05 at 4:20 am

Agreed wholeheartedly, Dave! Stock Aitken & Waterman were not just the worst songwriting team of the '80s but of all time too. They ruined Pop music forever. I can count on my one hand's fingers the songs they wrote I actually like. Kylie Minogue's "I Should Be So Lucky" (1987) made/makes me vomit. I bloody can't stand Pete Waterman at all.

Sorry to correct you like this, but "I Should Be So Lucky" from Kylie Minogue was actually released in January 1988 not 1987, but that wasn't her first single. "The Locomotion" was actually her first single.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/05 at 4:22 am

I think they were the worst producers of the 80's. The worst Artist to get produced by them was the embarrasing Sonia. You'll Never Stop Me Loving You" was the worst single of the 80's.

So worse a singer, she has even disappeared from the music scene today.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/05 at 4:24 am

Sorry to correct you like this, but "I Should Be So Lucky" from Kylie Minogue was actually released in January 1988 not 1987, but that wasn't her first single. "The Locomotion" was actually her first single.

"The Locomotion" was actually her third single.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/05/05 at 9:31 am

"The Locomotion" was actually her third single.

I read on a Kylie fan site that it was actually her first single. It was released sometime in 1987.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/05 at 9:43 am

I read on a Kylie fan site that it was actually her first single. It was released sometime in 1987.

First single yes, but in Australia not UK.

Written By: Paul on 03/05/05 at 6:51 pm

First single yes, but in Australia not UK.

Yes, it was re-recorded for the UK market...this version is also the one that charted in the US...

SAW were the scourge of most music critics at the time (probably because they were too successful...), but like most scourges in any form of entertainment, they filled a need...I think 50% of their stuff is palatable...

Written By: Bobby on 03/05/05 at 8:45 pm

I loved their music and I think I'm gonna get killed for that statement.  ;D

Written By: zcrito on 03/05/05 at 9:37 pm

Stock, Aitken & Waterman? Sounds like a law firm.  ;D

I did a quick check for songs they produced and found this list...

http://stockaitkenwaterman.itgo.com/singles.html

I did another quick check of that list and it looks like -- and I could be wrong-- but the only song on that list I like is 1991's

169 THAT'S WHAT LOVE CAN DO--Boy Krazy. It's a great '90s song.

Other than remembering most of those Dead Or Alive songs, the rest didn't look all that great. Most are remakes.

Did I miss any other good ones?

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 03/05/05 at 10:44 pm

All I can say is that Simon Cowell has a pathetic taste in music if he thinks they are geniuses.
I think what Simon meant is that they were geniuses when it comes to making money rather than music. After all, Simon made a sh**load of money from producing The Wrestling Album as well as Zig & Zag the puppets. As I mentioned before, I think the real geniuses were Moris Minor And The Majors:

This is a disco hit
And writing four every week is our own kind of thing
Though they may
Be
Shhhhhure to get you dancing
You don't seem to mind if they all sound the same
Well we don't care what the words are about
If the beat is right then our success will grow
And on and on we keep churning them out
'cause we put the S in 'hits' you know

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/06/05 at 3:56 am

Stock, Aitken & Waterman? Sounds like a law firm.  ;D

I did a quick check for songs they produced and found this list...

http://stockaitkenwaterman.itgo.com/singles.html

I did another quick check of that list and it looks like -- and I could be wrong-- but the only song on that list I like is 1991's

169 THAT'S WHAT LOVE CAN DO--Boy Krazy. It's a great '90s song.

Other than remembering most of those Dead Or Alive songs, the rest didn't look all that great. Most are remakes.

Did I miss any other good ones?

Oh yeah. Boy Krazy's "That's What Love Can Do" was a great track and it still is.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/05 at 4:28 am

Oh yeah. Boy Krazy's "That's What Love Can Do" was a great track and it still is.

May be a great track, but it not much played on the radio these days!

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/06/05 at 11:33 am

May be a great track, but it not much played on the radio these days!

Just heard it earlier on today on a US internet radio station.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/05 at 11:35 am

You do not get much call for it in the UK on Radio2.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/06/05 at 11:47 am

Hi Dave,

I'd like to get that station..how do u do it??

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/05 at 11:48 am

I want that one?

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/07/05 at 3:03 am

Hi Dave,

I'd like to get that station..how do u do it??

log on to:

http://www.retroradionetwork.com

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/05 at 2:18 pm

log on to:

http://www.retroradionetwork.com

Thank you!

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/07/05 at 3:06 pm

You do not get much call for it in the UK on Radio2.

You won't do. The song was released twice in the uk. First reached no 86 in the uk in 1992 and then it was re-released again a year later peaking at no 80. It reached no 18 in the Top 100 Billboard chart in 1992.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/05 at 3:42 pm

You won't do. The song was released twice in the uk. First reached no 86 in the uk in 1992 and then it was re-released again a year later peaking at no 80. It reached no 18 in the Top 100 Billboard chart in 1992.

But is still always the chance?

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 03/08/05 at 4:06 pm

Just checked out the long list of singles produced by the "big 3". I never realised they were behind "You Think You're A Man" by Divine. I actually love that song. Gotta love devine, singing those words in "her" big, butch voice, taking it all the way to no.1 in 1984. Gay culture in those days had nowhere near the acceptance that it has now. Speaking of gay, S, A & W actually approached Boy George, just following his drug rehab, circa 1987. I think turning them down was one of the smarter things he did that year. Sure he might have scored another hit or two, but would have lost all credibilty in my site.  8)
Cheers,
Dee :-*

Written By: Bobby on 03/09/05 at 6:31 am

I know S/A/W also dealt with Edwin Starr (WAR! What is it good for?) and the three degrees at one time.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/17/05 at 5:29 am

I know S/A/W also dealt with Edwin Starr (WAR! What is it good for?) and the three degrees at one time.

It was only one song from the Three Degrees. The song was the brilliant "The Heaven I Need", but it flopped in the UK.

Written By: aja675 on 06/23/18 at 10:38 am

Wow, the Internet is such a small place. I was looking up stuff on Google about that song because I'm currently obsessed with it, and I found the archived thread for this.  :D

Written By: aja675 on 06/24/18 at 7:48 am

Wow, the Internet is such a small place. I was looking up stuff on Google about that song because I'm currently obsessed with it, and I found the archived thread for this.  :D
xUmFD8_0q9U

Written By: aja675 on 06/24/18 at 10:12 am

xUmFD8_0q9U
Admittedly, the masochistic and clingy lyrics really hit close to home. :D

Written By: robby76 on 06/25/18 at 11:01 am

As a teenager in the late 80s / early 90s, you couldn't escape SAW.

Rick Astley, Kylie Minogue, Sonia, Big Fun, Donna Summer, Mel & Kim, Sinitta, Banarama, Hazell Dean, Cliff Richard, LaToya Jackson, Jason Donovan, Lonnie Gordon. They produced for a lot of big weights in the industry.

Like any catchy pop - some was quality and some was throwaway.

Some of the quality (in my opinion lol)...

a5xTAZhNKqc

Pfk4DQOjrso

DCtDAAPO-j4

Written By: robby76 on 06/25/18 at 11:14 am

At the time I hated Sonia, but age and nostalgia are a funny thing. I've now delved back into all these hits and I do like them a lot more now.

zbUn1rszA1Q

LmdHYYa9Q9A

Written By: aja675 on 06/25/18 at 11:23 am

Same reason why I like I Should Be So Lucky.  ;D

Written By: aja675 on 11/16/18 at 3:22 am

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20181115215136AAm1wic

As y'all could see, when I posted my Kylie Minogue cover on Yahoo! Answers, I got told this: "Sounds like rick astley, i didn't look and just assumed it was a rickroll." LOL I don't even think the song I sang sounds that much like Never Gonna Give You Up.  :D ;D

Written By: aja675 on 03/15/19 at 6:20 am

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20181115215136AAm1wic

As y'all could see, when I posted my Kylie Minogue cover on Yahoo! Answers, I got told this: "Sounds like rick astley, i didn't look and just assumed it was a rickroll." LOL I don't even think the song I sang sounds that much like Never Gonna Give You Up.  :D ;D
qzi-mu3Vqlo This song reminds me of when someone from here told me, "Why do you like this guy again?" This song is kinda like an answer song to that, 30 years before that comment was actually said.  :o ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...