inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Games of the '80

Written By: Cougar64 on 03/04/05 at 2:07 pm

Hi,
I am doing a presentation and I am looking for any type of games that were big in the '80s or born.  No computer games ie. Pac Man
Anyone got any ideas.
Thanks

Subject: Re: Games of the '80

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/04/05 at 2:08 pm

Rubik's Cube took the world by a storm during the eighties.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/04/05 at 2:15 pm

dungeons and dragons was big in the 80s. trivial pursuit was also an extremely popular game.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/04/05 at 2:17 pm

Hmm.. games...

Trouble.  It was a board game and it had a plastic dome in the middle, and you push the dome to shake the dice.  I don't really remember the object of the game.

Life.  It had little cars and little peg people you could put in the cars and move around the board.

Electronic Detective. Was a great electronic game (but not a computer game) where you can ask suspects questions by pressing buttons and solve a murder

Clue: Another mystery game (not electronic) with many characters, weapons and rooms of a mansion to search.

2XL: was a robot that had 4 buttons on his chest and took 8-track tapes.  He would ask trivia questions and give you multiple choice and you would press the button on his chest and he would tell you if you were right or wrong.  He also made funny noises when he was "thinking"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/05/05 at 10:51 am

Trivia Persuit was my favorite.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/05 at 10:54 am

Trivia Persuit was my favorite.

That was the favourite of mine till the same questions kept coming up again.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/05/05 at 10:54 am

Pictionary was also a good game too.

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 03/05/05 at 12:44 pm

Hungry Hungry Hippos
Connect Four
Mouse Trap (I think that was 80's)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/05/05 at 6:26 pm

Hungry Hungry Hippos
Connect Four

Awwwww, my favorites... Hungry Hungry Hippos and Connect Four. Operation and Sorry are good too.

Written By: Bobby on 03/05/05 at 8:52 pm

Board games . . .

Mr Pop
Guess Who
Operation
Frustration
Ghost Castle (put a skull in a coffin and different things happened)
Horror House (put a sword in a plastic skull and it screamed)
The Snowman Game (based on the cartoon and book)
Hungry Hippos
Perfection (try to put pieces into a board before the timer ran out or else the pieces will pop out)
Hangman
Downfall (twist cogs to get your discs to the bottom before your opponent does)
Buckaroo (put pieces on a donkey before it flips up)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/05 at 5:11 am

I think Mousetrap was the 70s.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/06/05 at 11:14 am

Perfection kind of gotta my nerves after awhile, maybe it was the annoying clicking timer noise, or the fact I sucked playing it!  ::)

Written By: Jon on 08/29/05 at 11:29 pm

Wasn't there a game with a tune that went a little like this..."squirt squirt squirt the animals whenever you take a bath"?

Written By: nondiva234 on 08/30/05 at 1:17 am

What about Rainbow Brite, My Little Pony, and Strawberry Shortcake? They had some sort of toy, so doesn't that count?...

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 08/30/05 at 3:08 am

How about Scruples?

Written By: MarcDaShark on 08/30/05 at 1:49 pm

When I was little, my parents used to take me to visit some friends of theirs.  When I was at their house, one of my fondest memories of being there, was playing a game called "Mr. Mouth."  It was a game where you'd shoot flies into robotic rotating frog's mouth.  It was either an 80s or early 90s game.

I'm not sure if Candy Land was the 80s but I think it was big around that time.

I also remember a game called "Pizza Party."

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/31/05 at 1:10 am

I don't know if Battleship was considered an 80's game, but I played that a lot with my brother as well as these games:

Headache
Mr. Gameshow
Memory
Payday

(we also played a lot of games that came out in the 60's and 70's, like Twister, Clue, Scrabble, etc. and other 80's games that have already been mentioned here)

Written By: Skippy on 08/31/05 at 8:41 pm

By the 80's we didn't play as many games. Some of the games we did play at family get-togethers were Clue, Yahtzee, Triple Yahtzee, Word Yahtzee, Life, Mad, 13 Dead end Drive, & Aggravation. Danieces and danephews(Dave Barry humor, sorry) liked Uno.

Written By: rip_jeans on 09/01/05 at 8:23 am

Risk
Chutes and Ladder
Battleship

Written By: Cafe80s on 09/01/05 at 12:10 pm

I love Slip N Slide the backyard waterslide you'd lay out on your lawn. We used detergent & stuff like that to make it even slipperier. I also loved  Popball (circa 1987 i think) a rubber semi circle you turned inside out & would spring back up & launch itself into the air. So simple, but so many hours of fun.
Anyone remember a board game where the pieces that moved around the board were these kind of thin flat plasticy cardboard monster head cut outs & it came with play dough & you stuck the heads into the play dough & the play dough was sopposed be the bodies for these monsters. If you landed on the same square as someone else i think you could mash their monster & merge it with yours. I remember one square was like a slime river & if you landed on it you'd follow the slime river which would put you accross  the other side of the board. It was definitly an 80s game & it obviously not as popular & well known as some of the above mentioned board games. I loved that game though & me & my brother played it to death. I just haven't got the faintest idea what it was called. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/01/05 at 4:20 pm

;D Slip N Slide was AWESOME!!!!  I never got to have one cause its really got the yard muddy but some of my friends had them and we slid for Hours and got SOOO Dirty!!! fun!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...