inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Latin Freestyle Anyone

Written By: bratzdan78 on 03/04/05 at 10:24 pm

I love freestyle music. Or as I call it....the Roller-skating Jams
from back in the day.  Man does it take back too.
I'm talking about Stevie B , Johnny O ,Safire, Cover Girls, Nocera, Lisa Lisa etc.

Most underappreciated artists of our time in my opinion. I still listen to alot
of the songs NOW. Every once in awhile at the club a DJ will throw on
STEVIE B *sings*
I"m Dreamin Love
Thinking of You
Remembering times that we once shared

as well as other freestyle records

I get crazy too with nostalgia. All the songs remind me
of when I llived in Cali in the late 80's. Me, my sis and friends of ours would do
these impromptu dances to the songs. (I luv to dance)  Kids in my neighborhood
would breakdance as well (something i wish i could do)  :D

Subject: Re: Latin Freestyle Anyone

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/05/05 at 3:58 am

I'm talking about Stevie B , Johnny O ,Safire, Cover Girls, Nocera, Lisa Lisa etc.

STEVIE B *sings*
I"m Dreamin Love
Thinking of You

of when I llived in Cali in the late 80's. Me, my sis and friends of ours would do

I use to be a fan of the Cover Girls. They didn't really make a big inpact in the uk, but I just loved their song "My Heart Skips A Beat" and Safire's "Let Me Be The One". 

In the 1990's, you had the likes Of George Lamond making it big with his single "Bad Of The Heart".

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/05/05 at 10:54 am

I loved it all! It was definitely appreciated on the East Coast (where I am from).

Tanya

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/05/05 at 2:07 pm

I loved it all! It was definitely appreciated on the East Coast (where I am from).

Tanya

I also loved songs from girlband Sweet Sensation. They were brilliant. I think people were trying to compare them to the likes of The Cover Girls and Expose, but they were nothing like them.

Written By: george78 on 03/07/05 at 10:53 am

Latin Freestyle was the best! It peaked in the late 80s/early 90s with the Cover Girls, Sweet Sensation, and Stevie B. Although it was never really mainstream though, unfortunately. Freestyle was mostly heard in urban areas, NYC, Chicago, Miami. Not sure if anyone can agree with me, but most of the people that liked the music was Hispanic or Italian. I grew up in an Italian/Mexican neighborhood and that's all you listened to. When I went off to college, no one had a clue as to what Freestyle was.

There are still a lot of Freestyle shows, mostly in New York. FYI, Betty D. from Sweet Sensation is back on the scene. Sweet Sensation was my all-time favorite.  ;)

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/07/05 at 3:23 pm

Latin Freestyle was the best! It peaked in the late 80s/early 90s with the Cover Girls, Sweet Sensation, and Stevie B. Although it was never really mainstream though, unfortunately. Freestyle was mostly heard in urban areas, NYC, Chicago, Miami. Not sure if anyone can agree with me, but most of the people that liked the music was Hispanic or Italian. I grew up in an Italian/Mexican neighborhood and that's all you listened to. When I went off to college, no one had a clue as to what Freestyle was.

There are still a lot of Freestyle shows, mostly in New York. FYI, Betty D. from Sweet Sensation is back on the scene. Sweet Sensation was my all-time favorite.  ;)

George Lamond did a few Latin Freestyle hits including his biggest hit "Bad Of The Heart". I agree with you on Sweet Sensation. They were fantastic. Do you remember George Lamond? I seem to be the only one that does.

Written By: bratzdan78 on 03/07/05 at 3:47 pm

There are still a lot of Freestyle shows, mostly in New York. FYI, Betty D. from Sweet Sensation is back on the scene. Sweet Sensation was my all-time favorite. ;)

It's Time To Jam !!

Freestyle was huge on the Westcoast . It's crazy growing up in California. I used to think
Stevie B,Cover Girls etc were mainstream dance pop artists. I really liked Timmy T  and that song Diamond Girl  (can't remember who sings that) My favs are probably
Stevie B and Safire.

I used to have both cassettes for Take It While It's Hot and Lovechild.
Didnt really care much for the latter. I like every song on Take It While It's Hot especially
Hooked On You <-- Sweet Sensations best song in my opinion 8)

Wish I still had my old tape/record collection. I used to have
have the original tapes and records from
alot of the freestyle artists mentioned. Right now all I have is a few cd mix compilations. that
i've made myself or purchased at the store 8)

Written By: bratzdan78 on 03/07/05 at 3:48 pm

George Lamond did a few Latin Freestyle hits including his biggest hit "Bad Of The Heart". I agree with you on Sweet Sensation. They were fantastic. Do you remember George Lamond? I seem to be the only one that does.

I do (luv that song)

Written By: george78 on 03/08/05 at 7:28 am

George Lamond is still around doing his thing. I used to have his "Bad of the Heart" album. I loved the song "No Matter What", the duet with Brenda K. Starr!

The Cover Girls and Stevie B. were true Freestyle artists, they just happened to crossover into the mainstream. The Cover Girls were originally on a small, indepedent label, Fever Records. Fever had other acts like TKA and Corina.

"Take It While It's Hot" is a classic album. I love all of the high energy dance beats. Back then, that style of music was considered Latin Hip-Hop.

Nice and Wild sings "Diamond Girl", such a classic!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/08/05 at 10:37 am

I loved all the girl groups. I'm still not sure which one was my fave b/c I loved them all. Sweet Sensation was hot, Cover Girls was hot (when they could keep the members together), and Expose was great!

Don't forget the divas though, Nocera and India.

Tanya

Written By: george78 on 03/08/05 at 11:04 am

Sweet Sensation was the best!

Written By: Mikko on 03/08/05 at 2:19 pm

Yes, Freestyle came out of the Bronx just like Rap.
From Latin neighborhoods like the other type, Weboe music.
Freestyle was yet another Genre in Latin music as we all kept our distance from Disco, Rap, Weboe, Salsa, and Merengue music.
There were many good artist...Little Susy of course Steve B. as well as those groups in between...Cover Girls, Sweet Sensation, George Lamond and other great artists TKA, Corina. I can go on....
I was amaze how popular Freestyle was and I can still here it in Europe. I can only say about Germany (by the way home of some great Disco music like Donna Summer and Munich Sound Machine as well as a group called Kraftwerk (Trans-Europe Express), the few samples we too as a DJ for Rap music before it went commercial). When I arrived in Germany in the Early 90's there were Clubs playing "my music".
Who can forget going to the Orchard Beach in the Bronx listening to this great music from WKTU and Paco as the First Latin DJ in a major NYC Radio Station and playing Paddleball at the courts.

Written By: bratzdan78 on 03/08/05 at 3:58 pm

I'm listening to one of my freestyle mix cd's right now. Pajama Party- Yo No Se
is on (great song) alot of people seem to have forgotten about them. Same with
WIll To Power (Dreamin) and Timmy T (TIme After Time)

I was really excited when Lil Suzy,
Angelina,Collage ,Rockell etc came on the scene in the mid-late 90's
bringing back that old latin freestyle flavor. I was hoping for a big
comeback (ah well)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/08/05 at 7:13 pm

That was the jam!

Tanya

Written By: george78 on 03/09/05 at 7:28 am

I love Pajama Party. "Yo No Se" was such a hot track! I love the intro. I've had their first album on cassette for about 15 years now. Last year, I just ordered the CD version on Amazon.

I also adore the Cover Girls. There were a lot of line-up changes, but below you'll see the 3 girls that were members at their peak from '88-'90, Caroline, Angel, and Margo. They were there through the groundbreaking "Show Me" album and the follow-up, 1989's "We Can't Go Wrong".

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/10/05 at 7:31 am

I love Pajama Party. "Yo No Se" was such a hot track! I love the intro. I've had their first album on cassette for about 15 years now. Last year, I just ordered the CD version on Amazon.

I also adore the Cover Girls. There were a lot of line-up changes, but below you'll see the 3 girls that were members at their peak from '88-'90, Caroline, Angel, and Margo. They were there through the groundbreaking "Show Me" album and the follow-up, 1989's "We Can't Go Wrong".

Was the Cover Girls "My Heart Skips A Beat" ever released as a single in the US?

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/10/05 at 7:40 am

George Lamond is still around doing his thing. I used to have his "Bad of the Heart" album. I loved the song "No Matter What", the duet with Brenda K. Starr!

The Cover Girls and Stevie B. were true Freestyle artists, they just happened to crossover into the mainstream. The Cover Girls were originally on a small, indepedent label, Fever Records. Fever had other acts like TKA and Corina.

"Take It While It's Hot" is a classic album. I love all of the high energy dance beats. Back then, that style of music was considered Latin Hip-Hop.

Corina was brilliant. I just love her single "Temptation" from 1991.

Written By: george78 on 03/10/05 at 8:57 am

"My Heart Skips A Beat" was their first single of their 2nd album, We Can't Go Wrong. The song reached the Top 40 and did very well in the U.S. 

I love Corina. She had lots of great songs like "Loving You Like Crazy", "Out Of Control", and my favorite "Give Me Back My Heart". It such a great break-up song.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/10/05 at 3:18 pm

"My Heart Skips A Beat" was their first single of their 2nd album, We Can't Go Wrong. The song reached the Top 40 and did very well in the U.S. 

I love Corina. She had lots of great songs like "Loving You Like Crazy", "Out Of Control", and my favorite "Give Me Back My Heart". It such a great break-up song.

Timmy T's ballad "One More Try" is another song that sticks in my mind. That song was brilliant.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/10/05 at 3:30 pm

Other songs that stick in my mind is Company B's "Fascinated", Maria's "TKA", VLA's "I Gave My Heart", Vita's "Tonight And Forever", Pretty Tony's "Jam The Box", Carrie Lucas' "Summer In The Street", Goon Squad's "Eight Arms To Hold You", Vicki's "Don't Break My Heart" and BVSMP's "I Need You" which did reach number 3 in the UK's singles chart in 1988. Some fantastic songs there. I'm gutted that Latin Freestyle didn't make a real impact in the UK. It just goes to show that when it comes to dance music, the Americans have really good taste in it.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/10/05 at 3:49 pm

I loved her "Temptation". What about Sa-Fire. I loved her as well!

Other songs that stick in my mind is Company B's "Fascinated", Maria's "TKA"

Killer songs! I loved them!

Tanya

Tanya

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/10/05 at 4:02 pm

Tanya

Tanya

Your so right. They were all brilliant. What are the Cover Girls and Sweet Sensation up to nowadays. I've not heard much of them for a while.

Written By: Daniel on 03/10/05 at 4:20 pm

Your so right. They were all brilliant. What are the Cover Girls and Sweet Sensation up to nowadays. I've not heard much of them for a while.

Last I heard of Sweet Sensation they were singing backup for MC Hammer during his peak >:(

Written By: bratzdan78 on 03/10/05 at 4:24 pm

Last I heard of Sweet Sensation they were singing backup for MC Hammer during his peak  >:(

Written By: bratzdan78 on 03/10/05 at 4:25 pm

Tanya

Tanya

I LOVE SAFIRE !!!

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/11/05 at 2:38 am

Last I heard of Sweet Sensation they were singing backup for MC Hammer during his peak  >:(

Are you serious? What the hell pocessed them to ding backing vocals for MC Hammer? MC Hammer was a piss take to real rappers.

Written By: george78 on 03/11/05 at 7:32 am

OH NO, NO, NO. Where on earth did you hear that rumor??? Sweet Sensation broke up in 1991. Sheila and Margie decided to leave the group. Betty D., the lead singer, continued for a few years with back-up dancers singing the group's songs.

Since then, Margie is married with 2 kids and lives in Jersey. Mari (Margie's sister who left the group just after the release of the first album in '88) has 4 kids and lives in Manhatten. No word on Sheila, but everyone is doing well. Betty D. took time off from the biz for about 10 years and is now back as a solo artist. She released a new single last fall and has many new projects in line. Just recently she did a show at the Roxy with other Freestyle legends, Alisha, Coro, George Lamond, Lisa Lisa, and Stevie B. Below is a pic from that show.

As for a reunion, Margie and Sheila are pretty much over the music business, although from what I've heard, Mari could be convinced.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/12/05 at 2:41 pm

STEVIE B *sings*
I"m Dreamin Love
Thinking of You

I just love Stevie B's "Because I Love You". He was only a one hit wonder in the UK and it was with that song. He was obviously massive in the US.

Check for new replies or respond here...