inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When SHOULD the Wedding Singer of taken place?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/06/05 at 1:52 am

I'd say 1983. 1985 seems way too late and plus 1983 is 15 years before 1998 so it would make more sense.

Subject: Re: When SHOULD the Wedding Singer of taken place?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/05 at 3:40 am

I have not seen the movie, but the tagline for the film is "He's gonna party like it's 1985"

Written By: Webstor on 03/06/05 at 1:27 pm

The beginning of the movie says it takes place in 1985.

However, if you listen to what people are saying...it could have been before that. 
For instance:

When Adam goes to babysit his sister's kids, his sister calls out to her husband because she's ready to leave.......her hubby scraems back at her......"wait a minute..I'm watching Dallas......JR's been shot...he's dead or something...."
Now it could have been a re-run.......but the likelihood of that in 1985 is not good.
The infamous "Who Shot JR?" episode took place in like 1982 or something like that.....

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/06/05 at 1:34 pm

the movie was perfect where it was set at, 1985.

Written By: Webstor on 03/06/05 at 1:45 pm

also,

1984 was the last year the original Van Halen was together..hence their last album title  "1984"
They got Sammy Hagar in 1985.

Sandler tells his ex-gf to take off his Van Halen t-shirt before she jinxs the band and they break-up........which in essence they already should have in 1985.

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/06/05 at 7:57 pm

I never saw The Wedding Singer and don't really care about it. So I'll pass on voting. :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/10/05 at 6:33 am

I voted "1983."

I haven't watched it in its entirety for quite awhile, but I agree there's some good points made above. (I'm one of those people who nitpicks things, especially movies, so I feel right at home!) :D

Even when I first saw it, I thought the culture definitely seemed more 1983/84-ish than 1985. But then again, if the tagline was He's gonna party like it's 1985, maybe it took place in late '84 or early '85.

Plus, a good number of the songs in the soudtrack are from 1980-83, further enhancing the early 80's feel. In fact, the first song Robbie sings is "Love Stinks," from '80.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 03/10/05 at 11:44 am

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/10/05 at 2:12 pm

^ Actually, maybe 1984 is a slightly more logical choice. I know "All Night Long" from Lionel Richie is playing in a scene, and that was from '84 I believe (also, I think it was the latest song on the movie - the earliest being "You Make My Dreams" from Hall & Oates, in 1979 or '80).

Although it would be interesting to see the slight cultural changes if it had been done in, say 1980 as opposed to '85. Besides, as has been pointed out, it was strange to have a "nostalgic" movie about a year only 13 years in the past (or, for that matter, it would make more sense for the movie to come out today, 19/20 years later, especially since the current indie rock, such as the Killers, sounds more 80's-like anyway).

That would be like a movie set in 1992 coming out now.

1998 was also a year another "1985" movie came out--There's Something About Mary. Okay, only the first 10-15 minutes, as Ted is recalling the past, are there, but still.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/10/05 at 3:21 pm

^ Actually, maybe 1984 is a slightly more logical choice. I know "All Night Long" from Lionel Richie is playing in a scene, and that was from '84 I believe (also, I think it was the latest song on the movie - the earliest being "You Make My Dreams" from Hall & Oates, in 1979 or '80).

Although it would be interesting to see the slight cultural changes if it had been done in, say 1980 as opposed to '85. Besides, as has been pointed out, it was strange to have a "nostalgic" movie about a year only 13 years in the past (or, for that matter, it would make more sense for the movie to come out today, 19/20 years later, especially since the current indie rock, such as the Killers, sounds more 80's-like anyway).

That would be like a movie set in 1992 coming out now.

1998 was also a year another "1985" movie came out--There's Something About Mary. Okay, only the first 10-15 minutes, as Ted is recalling the past, are there, but still.

Actually, didn't "Honey" take place in the early 90s?  And GTA: San Andreas is set in 1992, although it seems more like 1993 or even 1996 to me.  It's already happening with the early 90s  :o

But yeah, when Wedding Singer came out I thought it was a bit weird, in 1998 it was 60s this, 70s that, I was like wtf happened in 1985?

Subject: Re: When SHOULD the Wedding Singer have taken place?

Written By: ... on 03/10/05 at 3:36 pm

Umm... Mr. Rule, I noticed you made a boo boo in the title of this topic. It should be "When should the wedding singer HAVE taken place", not OF. "Of" and "Have" are two different words, with two very different meanings.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 03/10/05 at 7:36 pm

That movie did feel more like 1983 then the real 1985.  Basically they were trying to make it seem like everything was happening at the same time in the 80s.  Like every fad, fashion, song and movie from the entire decade was all happening in the same month or week.  They made it seem like every chick was a Madonna wannabe and every guy dressed like Don Johnson, and that everyone walked around using all the slang and lingo from the times.  That's not the reality for any decade.  No one was walking around saying, "these are the 80s!", anymore then anyone says, "hey check us out, these are the 00s!".

When the film came out in early 1998, meaning it was most likely thought up and filmed in 1997, I was like what the hell.....1985?  That was only 12-13 years ago and we are getting retro and nostalgic about that?  Today it would be OK, since it's 2005 and '85 was 20 years ago.  But in 1997 and 1998 it seemed really weird.  Is it time to get retro about 1992 and 1993?

The time you grew up in becomes retro before you know it, and way sooner then you expected it too.  I mean, before you are even 25 a lot of times, definately before you are even 30. 

Written By: 90s boy on 03/10/05 at 7:39 pm

1985 was good for the movie but i would have picked 1988 just because the 80's rellay kicked in then and it would nmake it 10 years 1988 1998

Written By: Devo Rule on 03/10/05 at 7:45 pm

1985 was good for the movie but i would have picked 1988 just because the 80's rellay kicked in then and it would nmake it 10 years 1988 1998

While 1988 was very 80s the "real 80s" was more like 1982-1988, from what I'd head.  It was more like the last "substance" 80s year. 1989-1992 were sort off watered-off, holdover 80s the way 1997-2001 is holdover 90s.  But I wasn't around so I don't know for sure.  :)

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 03/10/05 at 9:30 pm

The one thing that caught my attention was when Julia`s (Drew Barrymore) fiancee  bought her a cd player and they acted like it was a brand new thing that just came out on the market.But in reality it came out about 3 years earlier...

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/20/05 at 12:10 am

BUMP

Don't know why I thought of this now, but when you say "Party like it's ", does that mean it's in the year to follow, or the year you're already in?

In other words, I had this very debate at the beginning of 1999. I was 17 and thinking about the Prince song from my childhood - so amazed we'd all actually reached that futuristic year I'd heard about so long! ;) Anyway, some people argued that he was referring to the END of 1999, because of the line "2000, 0-0, party over, oops out of time," while others agreed with me that it could've meant early 1999.

(This has a point, I promise!)

So, with that in mind, if I were to be correct in my argument, Wedding Singer should have taken place in early 1985 (maybe even late 1984, if they were anticipating partying like it was '85!). If the "2000" Prince arguments were right, that would mean the movie was late 1985 almost '86 -- that just seems WAY too late, imo.

Written By: racer on 05/20/05 at 12:32 pm

The whole movie didn't make sense to me. You look at Julia, who was always dressed like any girl did in the late 90s, and then you look at her friend and it's like, WHOA hold on Madonna. I felt it was all out of sequence. Even the music didn't fit the movie. It was a poor effort in reflecting the 80s.

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 05/20/05 at 4:03 pm

also another reason for it too be 84-86....Julia's fiancee'  is always trying to dress like Miami Vice...who says he will record the re-runs after the new seasonis over.....hey wait i dress like don johnson IN  my miami vice pic...SO??!?!?!

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 05/20/05 at 4:51 pm

The whole movie didn't make sense to me. You look at Julia, who was always dressed like any girl did in the late 90s, and then you look at her friend and it's like, WHOA hold on Madonna. I felt it was all out of sequence. Even the music didn't fit the movie. It was a poor effort in reflecting the 80s.

Julia was very conservative compared to Holly, but what about the peach coloured dress she wore at her engagement party? Very 80s! Same goes for her over-the knee stockings -which have made a comeback, BTW, even seen some FLURO ones around! Needless to say, the whole movie is supposed to be a sattire, rather than an historical document from the year 1985. I voted for 1983, BTW, mosly because I think if it had been 1985, then the Boy George lookalike would have at least known the words to "Karma Chameleon"! :D
http://www.ziyue.com/person/d/DrewBarrymore/wed02.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...