inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Please help me... Liquid Crystal filled disk toy???

Written By: AmandaSmile on 03/06/05 at 2:15 am

Hello!

I'm convinced I'm not going crazy. I used to live for these things. They were little circular or hexagonal acrylic disks about 4" across. There was a sparkly liquid inside and it had a plastic backing sealing the liquid inside. When you rubbed the plastic back it made images in the colorful crystal? liquid. I have looked everywhere for what these were called. It was like a liquid "mood ring" disk. I lost the last one I owned about 12 years ago. It's annoying me because despite my search efforts, I can't figure out what they were called or even if they existed! :o It's driving me insane. Any help will be GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED! Maybe somewhere they still make them and I can buy one just for the principle!!!  :D Someone! Somewhere! knows what I'm talking about!

Thanks in advance!
-Amanda :)

P.S. I thought they were made by Wham-O. I used to get them in the cheap grocery store toy section.

Subject: Re: Please help me... Liquid Crystal filled disk toy???

Written By: AmandaSmile on 03/11/05 at 10:13 pm

Heheheh... well I guess I am nuts. :D Seems no one remembers what my little toy is! Thanks anyway!

Written By: ADH13 on 03/11/05 at 11:05 pm

It sounds vaguely familiar.. were they green?

Written By: AmandaSmile on 03/15/05 at 2:42 pm

Yeah! and when you ran your finger over the back it turned colors. Blackish goldish and blue....it depended on the light. But the main color looked green when it was all smoothed out. It kinda reminded me of the new car paint that turns color depending on how youre looking at it... You could "draw" in the goop with your finger. I wish I could remember what those stupid things were called. ::)

Thanks!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/15/05 at 2:58 pm

I remember those. I think they were called "fidgets" or something like that.  I did a search but they call a group of toys "fidgets". But so far I haven't found that. But I did find a website where someone had a "oil slick" pattern and said, "Remember the Fidget toy?" But, no, you are NOT crazy. They did exist. In fact, I think I may have mentioned about them in a thread a long time ago.

Cat

Written By: AmandaSmile on 04/06/05 at 10:24 pm

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

I found them at Miles Kimball
http://www.mileskimball.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=3357
YAY!!!

This place calls them space fidgets!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!

I'm sooooooooooo happy!

Thanks again!!! you people here ROCK!!!

Written By: Steve on 07/08/12 at 2:48 pm

Heheheh... well I guess I am nuts. :D Seems no one remembers what my little toy is! Thanks anyway!

-Amanda :)You are not crazy. They were originally sold under the name "Touch Me" in the late 60's. I still own 1,but have not seen them for sale in over 20 years.

Check for new replies or respond here...