inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Help! I can't remember band/song name! Does anyone remember this MTV video?

Written By: Zak on 03/07/05 at 4:31 pm

I think it must have been from the mid or late 80s.

The band was a hybrid reggae/ska/skate punk/pop band. The lead singer was black and the rest of the band was white, I think. They might have been from the Netherlands, but the song was definitely in English. I think it there was a lyric about "blowing your mind" or something like that.

They had one hit, the video for which was filmed in the bottom of a drained swimming pool. They had the drum kits and everyone down in the pool and skateborders skated around them.

I remember thinking the song had a great beat when it first came out. In the early 90s, I heard it on the radio (on a one-hit-wonder show on a college station) and I was surprised that the song was actually slower than I remembered it.

Subject: Re: Help! I can't remember band/song name! Does anyone remember this MTV video?

Written By: Niko101 on 03/08/05 at 5:03 am

Sounds like "Deeper Shade of Soul" by Urban Dance Squad. If I remember correctly, that came out in 1990.

Subject: Re: Help! I can't remember band/song name! Does anyone remember this MTV video?

Written By: Zak on 03/08/05 at 10:09 am

Sounds like "Deeper Shade of Soul" by Urban Dance Squad. If I remember correctly, that came out in 1990.

Yep, that's it. Thanks!

I guess it came out in 89 in Holland, so it'd be on the Dutch "In the 1980's" message board. But it came out in 1990 in the US.

Check for new replies or respond here...