inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sequel to Megatron's topic, when did Hip Hop culture permeate society?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/07/05 at 8:58 pm

I'd say about 1996.  The early 90s rap was more dancy stuff mostly except for a few bands like Snoop, Dre, and Tupac.  But 1988 is when people heard of it, and by 2001 it was everywhere, even in our hamburgers  ;D

Subject: Re: Sequel to Megatron's topic, when did Hip Hop culture permeate society?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/07/05 at 11:21 pm

mid 90s. i noticed the "cool kids" in town around that time dressing up in urban fashions.

Subject: Re: Sequel to Megatron's topic, when did Hip Hop culture permeate society?

Written By: Czar Matthew on 03/08/05 at 9:02 am

Yeah, 96 sounds about right. The grunge thing was basically over and the shift to hiphop resulted. Mind you, it still wasn't as over as it is today, as I'm sure we all remember the horrible boy/girl bands on the late-90s. Ugh! Thinking about this crap makes me long for the 80s even more. I guess theres a silver lining to everything.  :P

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/08/05 at 1:00 pm

Yeah, 96 sounds about right. The grunge thing was basically over and the shift to hiphop resulted. Mind you, it still wasn't as over as it is today, as I'm sure we all remember the horrible boy/girl bands on the late-90s. Ugh! Thinking about this crap makes me long for the 80s even more. I guess theres a silver lining to everything.  :P

I think 1990 to 1996 was decent, and although I wasn't around in the 80s they sounded totally radical  8)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/08/05 at 4:57 pm

There was a similar discussion on the 2000's board but I'll give my thoughts on it again:

I feel that at the end of the 80's & early 90's, there were those who liked rock (metallica, scorpions, etc) and those who liked modern rock (they might be giants, dead milkmen, etc)

Then Nirvana came along.  Little by little, rock and modern rock "melded together" into grunge.  Then came Pearl Jam, whom I personally see as no more than a copycat of Nirvana.  Grunge stayed popular for a short time, but when its heyday was over, the radio stations didn't seem to notice that people didn't like it anymore.  They continued to play the $#!+ out of it.  Neither the rockers nor the mods liked grunge, and some migrated toward country, and some toward hip-hop.

So I sort of blame Nirvana for the crap we have on the radio nowadays.

Check for new replies or respond here...