inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Question: "Be My Little Baby"

Written By: ADH13 on 03/09/05 at 11:03 pm

Last night when I was trying to go to sleep I had that song "Be My Baby" by the Ronettes stuck in my head... it's older than 80's but it was in the movie Dirty Dancing.  It goes "Be my, be my babe..be my little baby, baby, my darling, be my baby now, whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa"

For some reason, everytime I got to the "be my little baby" part, it would switch to "Take Me Home Tonight" by Eddie Money.  It goes: "Take me home tonight, I don't wanna let you go till we see the light, take me home tonight, listen honey just like a running sun, be my little baby
Don't the two "Be my little baby"s have the exact same tune??  It's been a long time since I heard either one so maybe I'm not remembering it right.

Subject: Re: Question: "Be My Little Baby"

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/09/05 at 11:12 pm

they are very similiar...but I think the tune is a bit different. The song on Dirty Dancing goes somewhat....be my be my baby...my one and only baby...be my be my baby now...a whoa oh oh oh...

and the one that is in the song Take me home tonight goes....take me home tonight...I don't wanna let you go till we see the light...take me home tonight...listen honey...just like ronnie said...be my little baby....babe be my darling...or something like that...I am not too good with the whole lyrics thing....but ya they do sound a lot alike.

Erin :)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/09/05 at 11:21 pm

they are very similiar...but I think the tune is a bit different. The song on Dirty Dancing goes somewhat....be my be my baby...my one and only baby...be my be my baby now...a whoa oh oh oh...

and the one that is in the song Take me home tonight goes....take me home tonight...I don't wanna let you go till we see the light...take me home tonight...listen honey...just like ronnie said...be my little baby....babe be my darling...or something like that...I am not too good with the whole lyrics thing....but ya they do sound a lot alike.

Erin :)

ronnie said?  oops I always thought it was running sun

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/10/05 at 6:00 am

^ LOL.

Oddly enough, I always understood that part, but until recently, misheard "Listen honey, just like Ronnie sang." I thought it was "Listen, I'll be just like Ronnie's sayin'." ;D

Anyway, I think the singing itself is similar (especially for both songs being a quarter century apart!), but the original is more like "Be my baby no-ooow" whereas Eddie's version is just, "Be my little ba-by."

Written By: ScottHam on 03/10/05 at 8:13 am

Eddie Money's most popular comeback song. The line  "just like Ronnie sang"  is referring to Ronnie Spector who in the 50's or early 60's had the hit "Be My Baby" with the group The Ronettes.  Ronnie is actually singing the back up vocals on the Eddie Money song.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/10/05 at 8:39 am

^ It's amazing this thread came up, 'cause I was just watching the "TMHT" video (I've got it taped off MTV in the early/mid 90's) and, Eddie must've been about 35 in 1986. Well, Ronnie doesn't look any older than him at all -- certainly not old enough to have had a hit song out in 1962.

Written By: ScottHam on 03/10/05 at 9:12 am

Veronica Bennet aka Ronnie Spector was 19 when "Be my Baby" was released on her husband Phil's record label in July of 1963 (VH1 bio) So in 1986,when she sang back-up with Eddie she would have been about 42.

Written By: nally on 03/10/05 at 1:36 pm

Oh yes, that's a good song. I know Eddie says "Just like Ronnie sang..." in "Take Me Home Tonight" and he's referring to the Ronettes' hit "Be My Baby." Eddie Money, by the way, was born in 1949, which means he was 37 in 1986. :)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/10/05 at 1:45 pm

Oh yes, that's a good song. I know Eddie says "Just like Ronnie sang..." in "Take Me Home Tonight" and he's referring to the Ronettes' hit "Be My Baby." Eddie Money, by the way, was born in 1949, which means he was 37 in 1986. :)

wow.  If I had understood that line "just like ronnie sang" I probably would have made the connection.  But I always thought it was "just like a running sun" so it didnt occur to me that the two were related in any way.  I thought it was just a coincidence that the "be my little baby" line had the same tune in both.  Sorry, I'm clueless.

Written By: Howard on 03/10/05 at 1:46 pm

Take Me Home Tonight Eddie Money w/Ronnie Spector.(1986)

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...