inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dragon's Lair

Written By: OliverDK on 03/11/05 at 3:42 pm

Does anyone remember a game called Dragon's Lair, it used cartoon instead of computer graphics, we use to play it at the local cinema, in the mid-80s

Subject: Re: Dragon's Lair

Written By: rubixgirl on 03/11/05 at 3:51 pm

Does anyone remember a game called Dragon's Lair, it used cartoon instead of computer graphics, we use to play it at the local cinema, in the mid-80s

It's actually still around.
http://www.dragonslair3d.com/

Written By: Bobby on 03/11/05 at 6:57 pm

I had the game for the Amstrad CPC464 - I bloody hated it. The controls were almost impossible to handle.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/11/05 at 7:46 pm

They are also the same people who made Space Ace.

Written By: Chris Fulmer on 03/12/05 at 7:51 pm

The game was made by Don Bluth Studios just before they started on their run of 80s animated classics. 

Written By: Webstor on 03/13/05 at 9:45 am

It was also a short lived saturday morning cartoon on the USA cartoon express I believe.

Dirk the Daring would face the Giddy-goons to rescue Princess Daphne from the dragon.
Then the show would stop at certain points to explain what Dirk's options were, and then show what happened with the choice he made.

Written By: Kryllith on 03/13/05 at 4:15 pm

There was also a sequel to Dragon's Lair which had an interesting Alice in Wonderland spin. Then, Dragon's Lair 3D was released to consoles a year or two ago.

The really interesting thing about Dragon's Lair, other than the creative design of Bleuth, was the fact that it was the first arcade game to make use of Laser Disc technology. This led to other games which followed the same format such as Space Ace (course, that was Bleuth), Guy Spy, and I think Cobra Command (jeez, I miss this game). It's a pity more games didn't pick up on the technology, even if the 1-correct-move-or-your-dead format of Dragon's Lair was a bit limiting...

Kryllith

Written By: whistledog on 08/16/07 at 3:52 am

The neat thing about Dragon's Lair.  It seemed really hard, but in actual fact, the game only consisted of a bunch of rooms within a castle.  If you played it enough, you wopuld remember exactly when to move, jump and swing your sword at just the right moment, and basically you could finish the game really fast.  I never mastered it though.  It was 50c to play.  At the time, too rich for my blood to play more than once

Space Ace on the other hand, wasn't so easy :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...