inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Drum solo "in the air tonight"

Written By: Happy on 03/14/05 at 12:15 am

okay who did the drum solo in Phil Collins' "in the air tonight"? was it phil who did it?  ???

Subject: Re: Drum solo "in the air tonight"

Written By: RojoP on 03/14/05 at 12:42 am

okay who did the drum solo in Phil Collins' "in the air tonight"? was it phil who did it?  ???

Yes, it was Phil.

Chester Thompson plays with Phil but does not play on that song.

Written By: 90s boy on 03/14/05 at 12:44 am

from 1988 the year i was bored lol and it's a good drum beet

Written By: Happy on 03/14/05 at 10:21 am

thanks RojoP! I thought it was but was unsure. a friend and I were trying to stump each other late last night with trivia and lyrics from the 80s and I wanted to be sure before throwing that one out there!

Written By: Doc Brown on 03/14/05 at 7:07 pm

from 1988 the year i was bored lol and it's a good drum beet

You may have heard it on Miami Vice in 1988, but the song came off Phil's solo debut CD, Face Value in 1981!
And Chester Thompson only plays drums when Phil is performing live. They first brought him in when Phil became the Genesis frontman.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/14/05 at 8:15 pm

Funny this thread came up because that's one of my favorite instrumental things in music!

I love how it goes from a fairly quiet and dark, brooding song to suddenly, "Ka-boom, ba-boom ba-boom!" In fact, it kinda scared me the first time I heard it in the late 80's.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/14/05 at 8:41 pm

It's a really good song.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/14/05 at 9:49 pm

1981 was a great year for music and this was just one of the gems :)

Written By: RojoP on 03/17/05 at 9:16 pm

thanks RojoP! I thought it was but was unsure. a friend and I were trying to stump each other late last night with trivia and lyrics from the 80s and I wanted to be sure before throwing that one out there!

If you want to see a good live perfomance of this song buy/rent his First Final Farewell Tour dvd. 

It was kind of funny.  I saw Phil back in August in L.A. and when this song played I just sat back and watched everyone at the Staples Center do the famous airdrum run that we all know is coming in the middile of the song.  It's amazing that a song can be ingrained in the minds of so many people over the years.

Check for new replies or respond here...