inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s neighborhood atmosphere

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/19/05 at 1:05 am

Were they all like the ones in the Hughes movies, or does the depiction of North Chicago in those movies skew what the 80s really looked like?  I mean were all 80s neighborhoods white houses and lots of indoor plants and the like?  Of course up to 1990 or so new cars were very boxy and the 60s cars were considered the sexy ones.

Subject: Re: 80s neighborhood atmosphere

Written By: ADH13 on 03/19/05 at 11:53 pm

Were they all like the ones in the Hughes movies, or does the depiction of North Chicago in those movies skew what the 80s really looked like?  I mean were all 80s neighborhoods white houses and lots of indoor plants and the like?  Of course up to 1990 or so new cars were very boxy and the 60s cars were considered the sexy ones.

It probably depends on where you lived!  Where I lived, most of the houses were split-level, so they were tall & not very wide.  The only big difference I can think of between an 80's neighborhood and a neighborhood created in this decade, is that back then all the houses didn't look exactly the same.  I can only remember about 3 white houses on our block.. I remember some beige ones and some dark brown ones... and a couple pale green ones.

I do remember, however, many people replacing their "shag" carpet with the swirly multi-brown shorthair type.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/19/05 at 11:56 pm

It probably depends on where you lived!  Where I lived, most of the houses were split-level, so they were tall & not very wide.  The only big difference I can think of between an 80's neighborhood and a neighborhood created in this decade, is that back then all the houses didn't look exactly the same.  I can only remember about 3 white houses on our block.. I remember some beige ones and some dark brown ones... and a couple pale green ones.

I do remember, however, many people replacing their "shag" carpet with the swirly multi-brown shorthair type.

My neighborhood in Great Falls, Montana had different colors, but out there (1998-2000) it was pretty much the 80s to the locals, at least in how the locals acted!  ;D

Written By: Xer on 04/07/05 at 7:30 am

I live in the country, a two-horse town you might stay.  In fact I live in Fredericktown Ohio where Luke Perry comes from.  Even though My dad made good money back then we didn't look the part.  I wasn't a partier but I knew kids who did, so like in the scene from Sixteen Candles when all those kids were trashed, that happened more than not. :D

Check for new replies or respond here...