inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Any Laura Branigan fans out there?????

Written By: Mike UK on 03/20/05 at 7:18 am

I'm a big fan of Laura Branigan's!  "Self Control" is my all-time fave, closely followed by "Hot Night" from Ghostbusters.  Anybody else out there liking her music?

Mike

PS  If anybody wants to know more about Laura's music visit her official website www.laurabraniganonline.com - Kathy and Vince, the webmasters of that site were personal friends of Laura's before she sadly passed away and are always very friendly and helpful.

Subject: Re: Any Laura Branigan fans out there?????

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/20/05 at 11:11 am

I'm a big fan of Laura Branigan's!  "Self Control" is my all-time fave, closely followed by "Hot Night" from Ghostbusters.  Anybody else out there liking her music?

Mike

PS  If anybody wants to know more about Laura's music visit her official website www.laurabraniganonline.com - Kathy and Vince, the webmasters of that site were personal friends of Laura's before she sadly passed away and are always very friendly and helpful.

"Self Control" was my all time favourite from her. Wasn't too keen on "Gloria". She'll be sadly missed in the music industry. I loved her strong voice. I still miss her  :\'(

Written By: redhead007 on 03/20/05 at 11:23 am

I'm a big fan too! :) You all should definitely check out the aforementioned site. The message board is great and full of really nice people and I'm a member there too.

Probably my favorites from her are "The Power of Love" (yes, the same one we all know courtesy of Celine Dion), "Self Control," (of course) "Hold Me," "Solitaire," "Shadow of Love," and "Moonlight on Water."

One of the nicest people too, I even met her personally myself. She will be sadly missed.  :\'(

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/20/05 at 11:26 am

I'm a big fan too! :) You all should definitely check out the aforementioned site. The message board is great and full of really nice people and I'm a member there too.

Probably my favorites from her are "The Power of Love" (yes, the same one we all know courtesy of Celine Dion), "Self Control," (of course) "Hold Me," "Solitaire," "Shadow of Love," and "Moonlight on Water."

Do you have link-up for that site please?

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 03/20/05 at 1:13 pm

Yeah she's awesome. My favorites are: Gloria, Self Control and Spanish Eddie. I was so shocked when she died. She died the exact same way my uncle did 20 years ago though he was younger.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/20/05 at 1:19 pm

Yeah she's awesome. My favorites are: Gloria, Self Control and Spanish Eddie. I was so shocked when she died. She died the exact same way my uncle did 20 years ago though he was younger.

I am so sorry :( I bet when you heard that all those memories came flooding back.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/05 at 1:23 pm

Mike

The day it was announced that Laura Branigan died, all three of us in the office where I work were sadden by the news.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/20/05 at 1:29 pm

The day it was announced that Laura Branigan died, all three of us in the office where I work were sadden by the news.

What do you do for a living?

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 03/20/05 at 1:30 pm

I am so sorry :( I bet when you heard that all those memories came flooding back.

thanks actually I was almost 5 when he died and I have no memory of him at all.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/20/05 at 1:32 pm

thanks actually I was almost 5 when he died and I have no memory of him at all.

Do you have photgraphs of him?

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 03/20/05 at 1:33 pm

Do you have photgraphs of him?

yeah I have one in my room

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/20/05 at 1:37 pm

yeah I have one in my room

Well just think of the picture as him just being there with you.

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 03/20/05 at 1:38 pm

Well just think of the picture as him just being there with you.

I do  :) My dad says we were close, I just wish I remembered.

Written By: Mike UK on 03/20/05 at 2:20 pm

Yeah, "Spanish Eddie" is another big favourite of mine!  Deserved a lot more than number 40 in the Billboard charts.  In fact it's such a shame that the "Hold Me" album didn't get the recognition that it deserved.  Got a very 80's sound to it although it still sounds fresh today.  Other tracks you guys might know on there are "I found someone" (Cher covered it a couple of years later) and "Forever Young" (I think Alphaville had some success with that).  It goes for quite a bit on ebay I believe. 

Another great album by Laura is "Self Control".  Highlights include the title track (have you guys seen the video?  WOW!  Like serious WOW!!!), the steamyl "Take me", the ultimate kick start your life song "Breaking out" and the very HOT "Satisfaction".  If you've got it in your collection dig it out and stick it on - guaranteed to bring a smile to your face and have you humming the tunes for weeks!!!  She really was the best and she's left us all with a great legacy!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/20/05 at 5:03 pm

Like a few of you have mentioned, Self Control is my favorite of hers. It was sad that she passed away so young.  :\'(

Cat

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 03/20/05 at 5:34 pm

I have a DVD recording of Laura hosting Countdown, back in 1983. She performs "Self Control" , "Gloria" and they show a little of her version of "Da Kommisar". Of the 3 versions of "Kommisar" that were out at the time, I think hers is the best. I also love "Ti Amor".

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/20/05 at 7:28 pm

self control...you take  my self controlllllllllllllllllll....

Written By: SpaceHog on 03/29/05 at 12:52 pm

Laura Branigan Rules!

Written By: stevengrey on 08/21/05 at 11:15 pm

I have a DVD recording of Laura hosting Countdown, back in 1983. She performs "Self Control" , "Gloria" and they show a little of her version of "Da Kommisar". Of the 3 versions of "Kommisar" that were out at the time, I think hers is the best. I also love "Ti Amor".

I would love to get a copy of this, email me please!  shatteredglass@columbus.rr.com

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 08/29/05 at 7:42 pm

I like both "The Lucky One" and "Self-Control"

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/31/05 at 3:38 pm

I like her standard hits mainly, but I haven't had time to delve into her lesser known stuff. I read somewhere that she was one of few artists who could sing in all 5 octaves. I don't know if that's some sort of urban legend, but I think I read it in a reliable source.

Check for new replies or respond here...